Main Menu

I'd like some opinions on some supposedly good Gamecube games

Started by Kaz, August 20, 2008, 05:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaz

Because I'd like to get some more good Gamecube games to add to my collection. Plus I'm trying to make a sort of wish list for Christmas because my relatives are already bugging me for gift ideas.

These are all games that I've considered getting but haven't ever gotten around to trying.

Viewtiful Joe
Killer 7
Eternal Darkness
Pikmin 2 (like...compare it to the first Pikmin for me)
Baten Kaitos
Battalion Wars
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (never played a PoP game other than the original one)

And you're free to list anything else you think I might not have. Anything you think is good that I should have if for some reason I don't already.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Doodle

I haven't really played any of those. But my older brother had Viewtiful Joe, he seemed to like it. And Pikmin 1 was good, but never played the sequel.

Sorry for not being much of a help. :P

But if you don't have it, get Mario Superstar Baseball. Even if you don't like baseball, it'll still be fun!
YEAH

Jono2

Prince of Persia is an amazing game.  It has some nice puzzles (all timed, of course), but if you love the "boss" element of video games, it has very few of them.  it just has hordes and hordes of enemies for you to kill.

it's very stylish, and very fun.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Macawmoses

Killer 7 is unique to the point you either loathe or love it, compelling and gritty. Battallion Wars is a great title, especially if you like AW, but it was a tad easy, and doesn't hold your attention as well. Baiten Kaitos is another fun game, the card battle system is well made, and it has a nice look....so, those 3 get my approval.

extraz

Viewtiful Joe is fricken awesome, except they ruined it with the later games

Killer7 is a fun weird game...thats weird....

Eternal darkness is amazing..

QingXin

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (if you're into war tactics and such :|), Metroid Prime 1 / 2: Echoes (both great FPS shooter adventures), or Resident Evil 4 (I always played with someone else watching, since it was a thrill, but I got scared easily :| :| :| :| ).

The Seventh

You need to consider these:
Metroid Prime (try and get the non-players chice version if you can...)
and
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes (It's a fairly difficult game, particularly on hard mode...)

And, Medal of Honor Rising Sun is actually surprisingly good, even though the graphics haven't aged well, and there can be slight slow up at times...  I recommend using the MOH Sharpshooter control setup.
meh

Jono2

Quote from: red7js on August 22, 2008, 05:46:33 PM
and
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes (It's a fairly difficult game, particularly on hard mode...)

And, Medal of Honor Rising Sun is actually surprisingly good, even though the graphics haven't aged well, and there can be slight slow up at times...  I recommend using the MOH Sharpshooter control setup.

MP2 isn't hard.  it has some epic boss battles (Chykka, Dark Samus 2, Dark samus 3/4, Quaddy) and one ridiculously hard one (Boosty), but IMHO, that's the only place it beats the original MP.  the bosses aren't particularly harder (with the exception of Boosty, and perhaps the final two boss battles (dun wanna say spoilers, lol), maybe Chykka).

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Kaz

Quote from: QingXin on August 22, 2008, 03:17:10 PM
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (if you're into war tactics and such :|), Metroid Prime 1 / 2: Echoes (both great FPS shooter adventures), or Resident Evil 4 (I always played with someone else watching, since it was a thrill, but I got scared easily :| :| :| :| ).

Owned FE: PoR at one point and was extremely disappointed.

Already own and love the death out of MP1, MP2, and RE4.

Quote from: red7js on August 22, 2008, 05:46:33 PM
and

Are you kidding? Both games are quite easy.

bluaki

Quote from: Kaz on August 20, 2008, 05:05:05 PM
Pikmin 2 (like...compare it to the first Pikmin for me)
That's the only one off your list I've played.

It's actually pretty good for a sequel. It's all-around better than Pikmin 1 in my opinion. The game has no day limit, there are much more items to collect, and the underground stuff is very good.
The game should have given an Onion to white and purple pikmin, in my opinion, but it's not like you really need them for all that much.

Sgt.Chilly

Quote from: Kaz on August 20, 2008, 05:05:05 PM
Viewtiful Joe - Fantastic Combat System and Stylized graphics.  Really difficult though. Not for the faint of heart
Killer 7 - Super weird but a great game all the same.
Eternal Darkness - Never actually finished.
Pikmin 2 (like...compare it to the first Pikmin for me)  An improvement on Pikmin 1 in almost every way.
Baten Kaitos - Unique battle system makes for interesting RPG elements but the story rather copy/pasta
Battalion Wars -  Great fun but completely devoid of the multiplayer that would have made it perfect.
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - One of the best platformers of the last console generation.

Rain Brain

Viewtiful Joe: Very, very fun and interesting game. It also gets pretty challenging later on. I'd recommend it.

Eternal Darkness: Pretty fun game, and actually scared the crap out of me at times. The sanity meter was a really cool feature.

Pikmin 2: Pretty much like the first one, except times a thousand in awesomeness. Lose all the frustrating aspects of the first one, and add in more fun, and you have Pikmin 2.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time: I'd only get it if you're a really patient gamer. It's extremely frustrating, but a great game if you can get past that.

Silverhawk79

Killer 7 - GET IT. Seriously, it's a cel-shaded masterpiece, with some great writing and a good story. If you can get used to the funky movement style (sort of rail-based), you'll love it.

Eternal Darkness - Ohmygodbestgame. Playtime is probably 40 hours or more, I still haven't beat it yet. Graphics range from decent to good to great, and the Insanity Effects are freaking sweet. Especially fun to play alone. In the dark. After 2 days of no sleep. :)

Baten Kaitos - A great RPG with amazing graphics and the story isn't terrible either. Voice acting sounds a little weird, but it might have been intentional. The card-based battle system is intimidating at first, but after a while it'll seem like second nature. A bajillion sidequests and cards and stuff.

Neerb

If you don't already have them, GET SONIC ADVENTURE 2 BATTLE and Super Smash Brothers Melee.

As for the games you listed that I played:

Pikmin 2:  This game DEFINES "perfect sequel."  Pikmin 1 had single player and Pikmin 2 had multi-player, 1 had annoying time limit and 2 has no time limit, 1 had 3 pikmin species and 2 had 5 pikmin species.  If you like the first one, you'll love the second one.

Battalion Wars:  Very fun game, with a great mix of RTS and 3rd-person shooting.  Only problems:  no multi-player, and it's too short.

Kaz

Quote from: Smash Bro 25 on August 25, 2008, 09:36:42 PM
If you don't already have them, GET SONIC ADVENTURE 2 BATTLE and Super Smash Brothers Melee.

Borrowed SAB2 and wasn't way too impressed. It's not bad, but I'm not a very big Sonic fan and the 3D ones appeal even less to me than the Genesis ones.

I've owned Melee since I first got my Gamecube.