Nintendo Switch

Started by Super, October 20, 2016, 07:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super

GET HYPE

...̅̅̅

Silverhawk79

HYPE STATUS ACHIEVED.
also you can read about on www.orbytl.com which is the site I'm working on with Mack
:)

Spud

I'll get excited when they announce there's no region lock.

Super

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on October 20, 2016, 05:43:41 PM
HYPE STATUS ACHIEVED.
also you can read about on www.orbytl.com which is the site I'm working on with Mack
The intercourse . When did that launch?

whatwewishfor

HYPE STATUS ACHIEVED.
reported for advertising
whatever

jnfs2014

HYPE STATUS ACHIEVED.
Advertising smh.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

PsychoYoshi

Those are the ugliest gosh darn controllers I have ever seen.

also switch ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Silverhawk79

Quote from: whatwewishfor on October 20, 2016, 10:51:54 PM
reported for advertising
ninny I own this place
Quote from: Super on October 20, 2016, 10:38:38 PM
The intercourse . When did that launch?
Like 3 months ago?

Custom

HYPE STATUS ACHIEVED.
why doesn't the thumper article say that it was made by the guy in lightning bolt that's what sold me on it

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Kodiack

Really hyped for the Switch, to the point that I've decided I'm going to pass on buying a laptop with a GTX 1060 or better and just get another mid-range clunker with decent enough integrated graphics.

I posted my thoughts over on NSider2's replacement, and since I'm too lazy to type everything again I'll just copy/paste it with some stuff slightly out of context.

QuoteI'm really curious whether it will be "more powerful" while docked. I'm wondering if the dock includes any additional hardware (such as a GPU), or if being docked lets the tablet run its internal hardware at a higher clock speed.

The Switch likely will not be getting anywhere near the PS4, though. The Tegra X2 chip will probably pull ~750 GFLOPS, while even the Xbox One is capable of upwards of 1300 GFLOPS. The Switch will probably wind up being just over 50% as fast as the Xbox One.

However, depending on the resolution of the screen, this may or may not be too much of an issue. If the screen is only pushing, say, 1280x720, then it doesn't need as capable of a GPU to push equivalent graphics settings. Pixel density will be pretty decent on that tablet even at 720p, and I personally won't be at all disappointed if that's the resolution that Nintendo decides to target.

720p would be a bit low, though. If Nintendo were to target, say, 900p instead while docked, then that would require pushing a bit over 50% more pixels while significantly improving image quality.

In many respects, the Switch will be a spiritual successor to the NVIDIA Shield. It won't be pushing console-level horsepower, but it will be targeting a lower resolution and emphasising portable gaming. This - in my opinion - is a very good move. Their choice of SoC should provide stellar power efficiency and prolonged battery life while still being enough to push beautiful visuals.

I'm personally planning to use the Switch almost exclusively as a portable gaming device. When I have friends over it'd be docked, but if it's just me, I'll be preferring the portable screen. I imagine that all games will be targeting at least the native resolution on that, so it will probably give the cleanest image possible without having to upscale to, say, a 1440p or 4K display.

This isn't a device that's going to be competing with the hardware in the Xbox One and PS4 - and frankly, it shouldn't be competing. This console generation has been immensely disappointing, in my opinion. I haven't had any reason to want to purchase either an Xbone nor a PS4, since my PC can already do practically everything those consoles can, but better! There are some exclusives that I'd love to get my hands on (e.g. Uncharted), but I already otherwise have so much to keep me occupied at home that I can't justify the investment.

I'm in the market for a new laptop. Prior to the Switch announcement, I was planning on getting something with a GTX 1060 or better. Laptops are still rather bulky, though, and unless you're "docked" you're still getting a sub-par experience when using them. The Switch is a complete game-changer in that regard. I've decided that I'm going to invest in another mid-range, highly portable laptop instead of opting for an expensive, bulky, power-hungry behemoth.

The Switch looks like it's going to be everything that I wanted and then some. Nintendo has been disappointing me fairly frequently in these past few years, but I'm fully on board this hype train. The mobile gaming market is saturated as it is, but it's saturated with terrifyingly low-quality, unmemorable, pay-to-win trash. Nintendo has a chance to truly succeed here, and I think that they could relive the success of the Wii if they play their cards right. They seem to be targeting both casual gamers as well as their older, "maturer" core audience.

Imagine if the Switch becomes the new target platform for games such as Pokémon. You'll have one single, centralised console that can do it all. You can enjoy the game on the go, but then dock it and enjoy a comfortable, familiar environment at home. That's exactly what I want right now, and nothing else on offer currently gives you that choice. Sure, you can get close to that with a PC, particularly with emulation, but you still have a lot of bulk to be concerned about and the market offerings are quite poor and expensive.

I haven't felt this enthusiastic for a new Nintendo console in over a decade.

Doodle

HYPE STATUS ACHIEVED.
>http://www.orbytl.com/forums/
>We will be officially launching these forums August 24th!
Silver's replacing us.
And he's late.
YEAH

PsychoYoshi

MoS

Yeah, I'll probably buy one.

buttlord420

HYPE STATUS ACHIEVED.
no it's probably dumb like shhmom