September 17, 2019, 09:33:46 am

News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences


Anyone remember HOW GEN II IS THE BEST POKEMON GEN

Started by Kayo, August 07, 2011, 11:06:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Kayo

August 07, 2011, 11:06:49 pm Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:12:41 pm by Kayo
...you could do something with the buttons and start over from the beginning of the world you died on instead of 1-1?

What was that exactly? I did it once or twice recently by just holding random buttons on my NES... but I forgot what it actually was. If anyone remembers this trick that would be great.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.

Tupin



Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Kayo

Quote from: Tupin on August 08, 2011, 08:44:54 pm
Hold A and press Start at the player select screen.
That's all it is? I thought that was what I did but then I also thought I remembered something with B or Select, but I could very well have been thinking of a different game.

Thanks bro.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.

RX-78-2

B and Select is for deleting your file in a Pokémon game. Oh no! D:




Wow, I definitely didn't notice the date on that last post.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Kayo

I always get this sad feeling when I delete a file on a Pokemon game. :(
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.

RX-78-2

I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Kayo

It's never happened to me on accident. Come to think of it, I haven't restarted a Pokemon game since the 3rd generation. I thought about restarting Diamond but then I realized I didn't really want to play through that again it wasn't that good. :(
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.

JrDude

I've wanted to play through Pearl/Platinum again many times, but never could because I transfered some Pokémon from my GBA games, and then those would be gone forerever as well unless I traded them all to a different game or something which would be too long and tedious. Also events I've done that could NEVER BE DONE AGAIN legitly.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Kayo

Quote from: JrDude 益 on September 04, 2011, 09:33:53 pm
I've wanted to play through Pearl/Platinum again many times, but never could because I transfered some Pokémon from my GBA games, and then those would be gone forerever as well unless I traded them all to a different game or something which would be too long and tedious. Also events I've done that could NEVER BE DONE AGAIN legitly.
Events, yeah. I have none of them on Diamond except the shiny beasts which can be traded and stuff, so they don't really matter. But remember Diamond sucks.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.

Flying Chickens

Quote from: Kayo on September 04, 2011, 09:37:31 pm
Events, yeah. I have none of them on Diamond except the shiny beasts which can be traded and stuff, so they don't really matter. But remember Diamond sucks.
I didn't think it was that bad. Better than Black.
Diamond doesn't suck, it just isn't as good as any of the first, second, or third gen games. It's still a good Pokemon game.


Zero

Ah Nostalgia tinted glasses...

B/W>G/S>R/B>R/S>D/P

D/P was "meh" compared to the rest for several reasons:

-Huge lack of fire types. Still wonder what the intercourse  they were smoking. Must have been some good poop to have an oversight like this.
-Starters were pretty disappointing. I don't mind the starters, but most people aren't too keen on the gen 4 starters.
-A lot of the pokemon designs are drastically more abstract than past Pokemon. People aren't too fond of these new abstract pokemon(Drapion, Gastrodon, Magmortor), and seem to prefer the more straightforward ones.(Butterfree, Torchic, Charizard)
-A lot of features went unused. "Underground", Secret bases, etc.
-Wi-Fi was a pain in the ass. Finding legit trades was quite the quest, friend codes were and still are an annoyance etc.
-They hardly experimented with the whole "regional differences" thing regarding the west and east sides of the region. I think Gastrodon and its prevo were the only ones to have significant changes depending on the region, but I could be wrong.
-Legend mania. Seemed like they had so many legendaries introduced during gen 4 that the term almost lost its meaning.

There's probably more but the point is is that it isn't a bad game, it just had some annoyances that the other games didn't have. Pre-gen 4 we didn't have wi fi or over-saturation of legendary pokemon to worry about, nor did we have a huge amount of features that were just "added" stuffing to an otherwise great game(contests in gen 3 were meh but thats another story).


Flying Chickens

Quote from: Zero on September 05, 2011, 01:42:30 am
Ah Nostalgia tinted glasses...

B/W>G/S>R/B>R/S>D/P

D/P was "meh" compared to the rest for several reasons:

-Huge lack of fire types. Still wonder what the intercourse  they were smoking. Must have been some good poop to have an oversight like this.
-Starters were pretty disappointing. I don't mind the starters, but most people aren't too keen on the gen 4 starters.
-A lot of the pokemon designs are drastically more abstract than past Pokemon. People aren't too fond of these new abstract pokemon(Drapion, Gastrodon, Magmortor), and seem to prefer the more straightforward ones.(Butterfree, Torchic, Charizard)
-A lot of features went unused. "Underground", Secret bases, etc.
-Wi-Fi was a pain in the ass. Finding legit trades was quite the quest, friend codes were and still are an annoyance etc.
-They hardly experimented with the whole "regional differences" thing regarding the west and east sides of the region. I think Gastrodon and its prevo were the only ones to have significant changes depending on the region, but I could be wrong.
-Legend mania. Seemed like they had so many legendaries introduced during gen 4 that the term almost lost its meaning.

There's probably more but the point is is that it isn't a bad game, it just had some annoyances that the other games didn't have. Pre-gen 4 we didn't have wi fi or over-saturation of legendary pokemon to worry about, nor did we have a huge amount of features that were just "added" stuffing to an otherwise great game(contests in gen 3 were meh but thats another story).
It's nice that you feel confident enough to give reasons for all this, but I've recently played through (albeit, they aren't the originals) HG, Fire Red, and Black, and Black really just does not turn my crank at all. It's got nothing to do with nostalgia, Black just isn't that enjoyable compared to the others. Swivel that chart on down a bit so that it looks more like this G/S>R/B>R/S>D/P>B/W and you're good.

Zero

Considering B/W doesn't have any of the issues D/P has it's pretty interesting that you feel the way you do.

It's straight though.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Hover Poultry on September 05, 2011, 02:22:35 am
It's nice that you feel confident enough to give reasons for all this, but I've recently played through (albeit, they aren't the originals) HG, Fire Red, and Black, and Black really just does not turn my crank at all. It's got nothing to do with nostalgia, Black just isn't that enjoyable compared to the others. Swivel that chart on down a bit so that it looks more like this G/S>R/B>R/S>D/P>B/W and you're good.


Are you sure that you're not just burned-out with the formula?

Kayo

Quote from: Hover Poultry on September 05, 2011, 02:22:35 am
It's nice that you feel confident enough to give reasons for all this, but I've recently played through (albeit, they aren't the originals) HG, Fire Red, and Black, and Black really just does not turn my crank at all. It's got nothing to do with nostalgia, Black just isn't that enjoyable compared to the others. Swivel that chart on down a bit so that it looks more like this G/S>R/B>R/S>D/P>B/W and you're good.

Take off the darn nostalgia glasses. I'm a huge fan of G/S/C since I played them constantly between the ages of like 6 and 10, which is pretty much the majority of my remembered childhood. But in reality, it wasn't that good. They put Kanto back in, but they ripped everything out of it. It seemed more like an extension of R/B than a completely new game, especially since it introduced by far the fewest new pokemon, just barely crossing 100. But sadly I can't critique R/B since, because they're the original, I couldn't judge it without getting my limbs ripped off by you guys if I make so much as one negative remark about it.

D/P was easily the weakest. Only fire types? Starter. Legendary. Basically, if you didn't pick Chimchar at the beginning (he wasn't even that good) you were out of a good fire-type. I understand it was intended to be a colder, snowier climate, but come on. It's just uncreative not to make any.

If I were to look at the 2nd gen, I'd use HGSS for comparison rather than G/S. Pokemon Soulsilver was easily one of the best games I have ever played. It fixed everything that was wrong with Gold and Silver. Truly an all-around exceptional game.

Black and White were not bad. People, STFU about the Pokemon. Gamefreak took a risk, by not re-using any old Pokemon and starting fresh with 150+ new ones. Of course you closed-minded people instantly say that they all suck because they're not the original 150. TAKE. OFF. THE. NOSTALGIA. GLASSES.
The graphics were a lot nicer than the past, and being on the same system as D/P were but being that much better was a nice surprise. If D/P had had graphics that nice, they probably would have been better. But when it comes to big graphical improvements, better late than never. The games look gorgeous and are fun to play through.

R/S had absolutely nothing wrong with it. In my opinion, it had the best legendary stories of all the games. The two godlike pokemon fighting over land and sea were greater than anything in the past or future. Lugia and Ho-Oh were cool, but didn't quite have as dynamic of a story. And the legendary golems, which everyone HATES for some reason, really had a cool unlocking method. They're the only legendaries where the game makes them SEEM legendary when you capture them. You have to go through a course of solving puzzles that open ancient doors containing Pokemon that were sealed for thousands of years because their power caused everyone to be afraid of them. Disregarding anything about the Regis themselves, it was still cool to find and catch them.

I really can find nothing wrong with R/S. It was a big step from the 1st and 2nd generations. A big step was what we NEEDED in Gen 2. G/S were way too much like R/B. The graphics were nearly identical (minus the color, providing you're playing G/S on a GBC) and the G/S pokedex was just "R/B pokedex +100". Plus, Hoenn brought some really nice unusual Pokemon designs. I happen to like those more than just simple animals. Sure, every single generation has some pokemon I like and some I hate. Every single one. Like the double battle gimmick was overplayed with Plusle/Minun, etc. But it's things like Mawile and Camerupt that make me feel like I'm playing a Pokemon game and not hunting slightly-deformed animals in my backyard.

I really have a hard time putting the games in order. I like them all for different reasons. So here's too.

Nostalgia scale:
G/S > R/S > R/B > B/W > D/P

Anti-nostalgia scale (i'm being harsh on the older games here to get past the nostalgia factor)
R/S / B/W > G/S / R/B > D/P

Or some creative substitutions
HGSS > B/W > R/S / R/B >>>>>> D/P

tl;dr I think D/P was the worst, while all the other four were very close in greatness. But I'm gonna REALLY need to play the R/S remakes. I imagine they'll help the 3rd gen like HGSS helped the 2nd gen.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.