News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

Social Media Addiction Class Experiment.

Started by The Riddler, May 04, 2010, 02:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Riddler

Starting Thursday, I will be attempting what will quite possibly be the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life. I have to give up all social media (Facebook, AIM, Forums, Xbox Live, Texting) for one week. It's an experiment for my English class. I'm the guinea pig who has to give up everything, and a classmate who stays away from Social Media has to indulge himself in social media for a week. I'm  honestly anxious about the whole thing, since I basically live on the internet. I'm not quite sure how I'm gonna keep myself occupied yet.

I cannot log onto Facebook or any forums, I can't use instant messengers or text messaging, and I can't play on Xbox Live or PSN. If you need to contact me, call me. If I don't answer, leave a message. If you text me, I can't read it or write back.

I'm intercourse ed, I think I'll relapse after a day. They've actually done experiments where people show withdrawal symptoms after having their media taken away, and I feel I'll be one of those people.

Wish me luck.

What this means for Survivor: After the challenge ends, I'll set up your tribal councils and you'll all have a week to get your votes in.

Before Thursday, I need you all to answer some questions for me.
1) Do you consider yourself a social media addict?
2) Do you think you could pull off an entire week with no Social Networking, Text Messaging, Forum Use, or other forums of Social Media?
3) What are your thoughts about those addicted to Social Media?
4) Do you think Social Media Addiction is a problem in this day and age?
5) Would you consider Social Media Addiction an actual disorder?

TL;DR: I'm gonna be gone for a week starting thursday and I need you to answer some questions.

Nayrman

Before Thursday, I need you all to answer some questions for me.
2) Do you think you could pull off an entire week with no Social Networking, Text Messaging, Forum Use, or other forums of Social Media?

1. Not really. Sure i rely on it to keep in touch with people instantaneously, but I remember a time before the internet, texting, and so forth. I'd be fine.
2. Yes, easily. Again, I grew up without this stuff. Sure I'd be BORED compared to that kind of stuff, but I have enough DVD's and single player games to tide me over for that long.
3. Get a life.
4. yes, as people are obsessed over it for no apparent reason
5. Not a made up "disease", but it can be treated like other technology based addictions. DO SOMETHING ELSE! @_@

Kilroy

1) Yes.
2) Yes, I've done it due to being grounded. I love to read and write, so I bide my time with that.
3) I see no problem with it.
4) No.
5) Talking to people is a disorder now?
1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT

Lohn Jocke

Not really, it's not like the internet is the only part of my life.

An entire week? Dude, I pretty much do this every time I go camping for a month :U
e: And hell, I did that a month ago when playing Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations

These people have major problems, because if they can't live without social media, that means they rarely socialize IRL, meaning they may not even be social at all.

Probably not. Then again, I wouldn't know, since I rarely cared about most forms of social media in the first place.

Is an addiction to anything considered a disorder now? I'm too lazy to check.

The Riddler

Quote from: Bubba House on May 04, 2010, 02:16:59 PM
Is an addiction to anything considered a disorder now? I'm too lazy to check.
Substance use disorder - Drug addiction.

Gwen Khan

1) no
2) yes, I've gone a lot longer then that
3) people need to get out more
4) yes
5) yes

Shujinco2

That would be SO intercourse ing easy to me. I don't use Facebook or Myspace. Have gone whole MONTHS without this place. Go two weeks at a time not playing Live, and I have no phone. I've never checked my E-mail AT ALL this year.

The IRC is the only problem, but I can occupy myself with DKC2. :P

1) Do you consider yourself a social media addict? LOL no.
2) Do you think you could pull off an entire week with no Social Networking, Text Messaging, Forum Use, or other forums of Social Media? Yes. *See Above*
3) What are your thoughts about those addicted to Social Media? It's differant for each thing. I think things like PSN andf X-box live are pretty awesome, but things like texting are pretty stupid.
4) Do you think Social Media Addiction is a problem in this day and age? Yes. And in certain forms, a serious problem.
5) Would you consider Social Media Addiction an actual disorder? Um... I guess it again depends. I can see texting adiction being a disorder.

Lotos

1.  Yup.
2.  No way.
3.  It depends on which medium they're addicted to.  I think those addicted to Facebook and Twitter should get lives (I'm a little hypocritical, I'm addicted to Facebook).
4.  Yeah, but why bother doing anything about it?
5.  No.

THEBIRD

1) Do you consider yourself a social media addict? lol no
2) Do you think you could pull off an entire week with no Social Networking, Text Messaging, Forum Use, or other forums of Social Media? yeah. as long as i still have contact with my friends to meet up or do something.
3) What are your thoughts about those addicted to Social Media? they're brain has tricked them into believing they need it. it's all about dopamine.
4) Do you think Social Media Addiction is a problem in this day and age? yeah probably
5) Would you consider Social Media Addiction an actual disorder? i dont consider anything an actual disorder. i call it brain power.

Mystic

1) Do you consider yourself a social media addict? No, but I HATE not texting.
2) Do you think you could pull off an entire week with no Social Networking, Text Messaging, Forum Use, or other forums of Social Media? Yes.
3) What are your thoughts about those addicted to Social Media? That really sucks. Cause I'm sure at some point, you'll have to be away.
4) Do you think Social Media Addiction is a problem in this day and age? For some people.
5) Would you consider Social Media Addiction an actual disorder? At some point, I guess so.

Magnum

1) Do you consider yourself a social media addict? Not really. I like it, but I can live without
2) Do you think you could pull off an entire week with no Social Networking, Text Messaging, Forum Use, or other forums of Social Media? Yes
3) What are your thoughts about those addicted to Social Media? I don't care. As long as they aren't annoying about it
4) Do you think Social Media Addiction is a problem in this day and age? No.
5) Would you consider Social Media Addiction an actual disorder? No

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

bluaki

Nope.
I'd rather not, but I easily can. Just let me leave cookies in IRC while I'm gone and hope nothing about it screws up D:
I really wouldn't know.
Not at all.

Dog Food

1) Do you consider yourself a social media addict? Not really. I like face-to-face encounters better.
2) Do you think you could pull off an entire week with no Social Networking, Text Messaging, Forum Use, or other forums of Social Media? I don't think I could live without texting. But I could give up the rest.
3) What are your thoughts about those addicted to Social Media? They like to stay posted on things every second. Nothing wrong with it, I guess, just don't go crazy with it.
4) Do you think Social Media Addiction is a problem in this day and age? Yeah.
5) Would you consider Social Media Addiction an actual disorder? Not really.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

The Riddler