News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Activity and Why NSF is Near Dead

Started by Macawmoses, March 16, 2009, 05:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDarkChief

Trying to turn into another forum that wants attention. Be yourselves darnit.
Instead something goes wrong, you take away some power from the people, and the people leave.

Kaz

Problem: NSF is boring.

Cause of problem: NSF has incredibly boring users who only want to talk about video games. Hardly any of them can even maintain a decent flame war let alone post something worthwhile or, god forbid, intelligent.

Solution: There isn't one. I'm sorry, but we all know that forums die eventually. Nearly all of the interesting users are gone and all we have left are a couple dull Power On fags and a bunch of people who never leave the video game boards. It's too late.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Rayquarian

Quote from: Kaz on March 18, 2009, 03:08:23 PM

Cause of problem: NSF has incredibly boring users who only want to talk about video games. Hardly any of them can even maintain a decent flame war let alone post something worthwhile or, god forbid, intelligent.

Solution: There isn't one. I'm sorry, but we all know that forums die eventually. Nearly all of the interesting users are gone and all we have left are a couple dull Power On fags and a bunch of people who never leave the video game boards. It's too late.
This...is a video game forum.

Kaz

Quote from: Rayquarian on March 18, 2009, 03:10:35 PM

Gee, really? Thanks for your enlightenment.

I know it's a intercourse ing video game forum. That's half the reason this forum is destined to be dead or dying from now on.

PsychoYoshi

Quote from: Kaz on March 18, 2009, 03:08:23 PM

kaz 4 mod, he'll fix this

Also, this is most certainly at the root of the issue. In terms of pure Nintendo discussion, this place simply can't hold a finger to NS2, even if our members are marginally more intelligent. Our only chance is to diversify, but unfortunately we haven't had definitive member support to do this. We try to insist that the (majority) of our members stay happy instead of rolling ahead with projects on our own, but unfortunately the majority hasn't wanted this thus far.

Thus, at this point, we really have two options:
a) Branch out, and fast.
b) Continue through the downward spiral.

Friendly Hostile

As much as I love the idea of branching there's a few major issues with that:

1) Focus.
We need a focus first and foremost.  General Discussion forums will do what we currently are doing:  become stagnant and slowly die.  You need to consistently be bringing in members, keeping them and have discussion going to maintain an active site.  General Discussion forums are extremely difficult to do this with, since it's so insanely broad.  When you have a focus, you have a target audience, which makes it far easier to obtain new members and hopefully keep them here.

NS2 has Nintendo.  So I don't see us really cornering that market anytime soon, unless some major poop happens at NS2, and even then, most of them won't come here; they'll start their own site.

2) A more...motivated staff and memberbase.
Let's face it.  Just about everyone here is lazy as all intercourse .  People whine and complain about activity being slow and this place being boring.   Not one of you however (short of maybe 2 or 3 people), ever tries to post new ideas, or do anything to change this.  You can whine all you want, it won't change anything.  You have to propose ideas and start things.  You can't expect anyone else to do it for you.  I would have thought the axing of the SIT would hint to you all that no one has proposed anything, but regardless, don't complain unless you have a solution of some sort.

We laugh and joke about NS2, but they have one thing we don't.  They have a good chunk of members who come up with ideas, who run things and who push for people to be involved with things.  They keep things relatively active and drag in new members and keep them there more often than we do.

3) A unified community.
As it''s been pointed out, we have those who stick the gaming boards, and those who stick to the more general boards.  If we wish to move forward and branch out, people need to be on board.  Otherwise, drama is going to result, and make transitioning to a new focus much more of a hassle.  How to handle this is debatable.  You can work to get everyone on board and move forward (time consuming, but doesn't piss off as many people) or provide an ultimatum (fast, but potential for major backlash).

Ultimately, this place won't ever completely die, since we have a few members that will keep showing up until the forum itself is gone.  It will however, get to a point of one, maybe two posts a day if we're lucky.  But realize, transitioning to a new focus, as well as promoting and building up a bigger site is a major project.

BOSSNIG

Quote from: Kilroy on March 18, 2009, 12:05:08 PM
Quote from: hawtgurl69 on March 18, 2009, 11:28:56 AM
sorry dude busy making my dick bigger
wat i thought u were a gurl ????
im one of those dick girls you see on every hentai site duh
IF U WERE KILLED TOMORROW, I WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN DA MOTHA FUKER THAT KILLED U!
..._.....____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____] = = = = = D
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//

WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER

Rayquarian

Quote from: Kaz on March 18, 2009, 03:12:39 PM

I know it's a f***ing video game forum. That's half the reason this forum is destined to be dead or dying from now on.
With that logic, Neogaf and NS2 should be dead by now.

Rayquarian

Truthfully, I don't see much difference between this forum and many other forums.  I think the big problem is lack of appeal.  Something about the forum, maybe it's default skin, drives people away from it.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Rayquarian on March 18, 2009, 07:23:04 PM
Truthfully, I don't see much difference between this forum and many other forums.  I think the big problem is lack of appeal.  Something about the forum, maybe it's default skin, drives people away from it.
Yeah, the default skin is kind of blah. I want to switch it back to NSF Classic, personally.

Tupin

That period in NSFCD's history when we went after smaller forums and tried to merge with them, it seemed to do well. As long as the forum members agree.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Super

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on March 18, 2009, 09:18:38 PM
Quote from: Rayquarian on March 18, 2009, 07:23:04 PM
Yeah, the default skin is kind of blah. I want to switch it back to NSF Classic, personally.
We should make a new theme based on NSF Classic.

A shinier version, maybe.

Friendly Hostile

My problem with most of the themes is they feel like they need to be more polished and smooth.  They feel like they don't flow very well to me.

Super

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on March 18, 2009, 11:34:35 PM
My problem with most of the themes is they feel like they need to be more polished and smooth.  They feel like they don't flow very well to me.
Maybe we need someone with a sense of fashion.

Kaz

Quote from: Rayquarian on March 18, 2009, 07:16:45 PM
Quote from: Kaz on March 18, 2009, 03:12:39 PM

I know it's a f***ing video game forum. That's half the reason this forum is destined to be dead or dying from now on.
With that logic, Neogaf and NS2 should be dead by now.

You're not too bright, are you? It should have been clear to you why being a video game forum is a problem for NSF, not Neogaf and NS2. But since you can't read between the lines, let me quote FH to make it clear:

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on March 18, 2009, 04:07:36 PM
NS2 has Nintendo.  So I don't see us really cornering that market anytime soon, unless some major poop happens at NS2, and even then, most of them won't come here; they'll start their own site.