Author Topic: Life is Strange  (Read 840 times)

Offline JrDude

• The Coolest
  • Metroid
  • Karma +10/-22
  • Wanna Fight Brah?
    • Mah URL.
Re: Life is Strange
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 02:13:06 AM »
I get why the Tumblrinas love it, and I also get the hate.

Pros:
There are a couple very good Choices Matter™ ethical dilemmas in the game.
The red herring is pulled off well.
Polarized (episode 5) is a mental clusterintercourse  rivaling that of Lost or Fringe.
If you are interested in psychiatric disorders, they're pretty much all on display in this game, and most of them are pulled off competently.
Despite being Tumblrbait, limited amounts of SocJus (at least in the basic season; can't speak to the prequel.) The only thing it really likes to preach about is bullying.
S/S relationships which are present but are not made a big deal about.

Cons:
Indietrash music is intercourse ing horrid.
Chloe comes across as a writer's pet.
It's a walking simulator.
Short.

Personal recommendation: Rent or check out from library.
I agree with a lot of what you said.
With the S/S thing, I thought it was interesting.
When I first played, I saw everything they did as very friendship oriented. Nothing seemed to imply they could be into each other. Even the kiss in an early episode. I mean, it just seems like something Chloe would say, and something a good friend like Max would do with that level of friendship. So when I ended up hearing about there being an ending involving a romantic kiss, I was like, "wait, is this an edited video or something?" But it was for real. On a second playthrough, I did everything that would make them do it, just to get it for myself (completionist, not perversion). I personally saw something more with Max and Warren, which I got a Kiss from him in my first playthrough.
On the Prequel, they have a much larger focus if you choose to go that route. Episode 1, one of the last big decisions you can choose, is Rachel your "Friend" or "Something More"? (which, like in the original, I didn't see anything beforehand as "romantic".) I ended up choosing "Something More" which was good, because it apparently matched my actions from earlier (Rachel will respond well or weird to saying one or the other, depending on how you behaved throughout the first episode, which I tested through "collector mode"). On a second playthrough, it actually felt weird to NOT choose "Something More" because so much seems like something she would do for someone special. And in Episode 2 (Total of 3), you can actually go for a Kiss if you chose "Something More", and, like I said, it was weird to not have that option. I mean, everything they do is something 2 female friends can do, but it seemed more complete making it a couple's thing.
It's kind of funny. I think they WANTED it to be more clear of an option in this game, as one of the first things shown in her room is a Rainbow Middle Finger in her room, and if you read Chloe's "Diary", one of the entries pre-written before anything happens in the game is, "I was rubbing one out to xDude (Famous Movie Character), and then thought of xFemale from (other Famous Movie) and finished. I dunno, probably nothing" and later you even OBTAIN a copy of the Movie xFemale is in. Also, there's another female character that is into Rachel.
Although it isn't made into a huge deal, it is definitely more obvious in Before the Storm. I like how they make it very normal, and technically optional in case a Homophobe plays the game.
In both the original and the prequel, you are a Female with a potential Male love interest, AND a potential Female love interest.
If it were a perfect fictional world, I would totally Ship Chloe&Rachel, then Max&Warren.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:15:24 AM by JrDude »

Offline Zero

• Great Lord
  • Karma +62/-55
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 10:38:25 PM »
still not a video game. needs more gameplay

Offline Custom

• Charlie Tunoku
  • The Master Baiter
  • Karma +207/-102
  • AKA: Customrobo13
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 04:10:41 AM »
still not a video game. needs more gameplay
who cares anymore
rather play this than pubg

Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!
I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Offline Zero

• Great Lord
  • Karma +62/-55
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »
who cares anymore
rather play this than pubg
i do. havent played pubg though

Offline Super

• Thunderfist
  • Karma +100/-71
  • AKA: Super