Poll

Would you interested in RPing if someone had a good idea?

Yes
1 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: RPing Guide for Busy People [RP not included]  (Read 301 times)

Offline Max Headroom

• Ace Attorney
  • Karma +2/-7
RPing Guide for Busy People [RP not included]
« on: September 30, 2015, 09:39:33 AM »
Kinda pointless if nobody cares, or if people do care but nobody has any good ideas, but here's this:

Availability

Establishing schedules to estimate progression and/or predict progress
[spoiler]If a regular schedule can be established, players should indicate when they're expected to be available to post while establishing the character's appearance and stuff. Players without a clearly defined schedule are advised to say so in their introductory post. Players should not feel they need to leave simply because they feel they don't have the time for roleplaying anymore. The idea here is to be able to enjoy roleplaying despite having limited time. However, if notable absences are to be expected, players are asked to indicate how long and how frequently such absences are expected to occur.[/spoiler]

Playing during one's freetime (in another's absence)
[spoiler]In-character actions and speech should account for the absence of relevant player(s), so they can have their character(s) respond without being left behind. The suggestion is to write in a way that gives a player time to respond to the action or speech on the player(s)' next logon, signaling to other players that action(s) and/or speech involving immediately inactive character(s) are pending.[/spoiler]

When a player's scheduled freetime ends ab/normally
[spoiler]Assuming there's notable activity any given day or night, players should warn others when they need to log off for the day or night -- especially if a logout is unplanned. "Notable activity" ought to be considered more than two unique posts in any given day. Such a warning is intended to suggest to other players how likely or not the story will advance happily (not leaving anyone behind; discouraging people from staying up all night or shirking work duties -- whatever's applicable -- waiting for more action; etc.).[/spoiler]

When to resume during a player's unannounced absence
[spoiler]Unless the player in question has indicated an expected absence for longer than my recommendation, I suggest 2 weeks to a month of not posting before worrying about any given user.

If this happens during a time of notable activity, players should wait until the player in question posts again that day or night. This may leave some players waiting all night for more action, but players should expect other players to take their time more than they should expect further action that day.[/spoiler]

Anti-Godmodding Countermeasures/Etiquette

Godmodding
[spoiler]Aside from simply being super power attacks or normally-impossible actions -- outright cheating -- godmodding should also be defined as one player's attempt to control other player(s)' character(s) and/or other storytelling elements (such as NPCs -- characters controlled by the GM -- and scenery, in ways advantageous to the player in question).[/spoiler]

When to yield & GM's duty to control godmodding
[spoiler]Some actions, as a result of godmodding, interfere with the story and ruin the roleplaying experience. If an action requires the response from the target character, but the player is inclined to take advantage of how the action in question is written -- especially if this action is intended to control another character in some way, or requires the target character to respond in a specific way-- both players should yield to the GM as to the outcome of said action. However, it's a good idea for the acting player to yield to the GM during said player's turn when attempting to execute a particularly effective or significant action (unless the player controlling the target consents or posts according to the posted action before the GM has a chance to act).

Some characters may be understood to have certain traits that is supposed to influence the outcome of any given action. If left unchecked, players could abuse their established traits in ways that effectively results in godmodding. GMs have a duty to not only ensure that the adventure continues fairly, but to resolve conflicts as they arise -- whether it be to settle disputes between players, or to resolve a conflict or contradiction between a character's action that relates or others or to other storytelling elements.[/spoiler]

Controlling potential godmodding
[spoiler]Let's say that a character has a gun. Those have potential for instadeath if used properly. As tempting as it is to the player, it's not up to him or her to decide whether a shot kills, per se -- even if a character has been established to be an expert shooter. One idea for GMs would be to develop a numbered list showing possible outcomes, and apply a random number generator to it (making an effort to account for any given character's accuracy, along with certain environmental factors -- such as wind).

For example:
[spoiler]1. Miss
2. Character 1 hit
3. Character 1 dies
4. Miss
5. Character 2 hit
6. Character 2 dies
7. Miss
8. Miss
[/spoiler]

Going to Random.org, I set the range for 1 to 8 and rolled a 5 -- Character 2 hit. How the character was hit ought to be left to the GM, and whether or not armor means anything. To make that sort of determination easier, the list can include specific locations on a character to be hit, then account for whatever armor the target may or may not be wearing applies in any meaningful way.

However, GMs have a duty to also account for or invent circumstances that avoid an unfair instadeath. Whether to do what I suggested is ultimately up to the GM, but is specially recommended for meaningless battles where a premature end is quite possible.[/spoiler]

Resolving conflicts between one character's attack and another's defense (and other issues)
[spoiler]It's up to the GM to consider the merits of learned techniques and innate traits of any given character. Ideally, the GM should assess this before a character is formally approved for play, but there might be an unplanned conflict between player characters or between a player character and a NPC. Sometimes it may require randomness to resolve, but it could also be a simple as noting that fire is weak against water (or something like that). GM are advised to stay on top of potential problems before player(s) make an issue of it.

Unless the GM determines otherwise (for any reason), disputes should be allowed to be take place in the thread as ensure that others understand why a dispute got resolved as it would. Keep in mind, however, that particularly controversial disputes could span many pages. GMs may need to limit time for all parties to comment (along with third-party comment, if permitted) and make a ruling despite not necessarily having been offered every argument that's meaningful.

The solution to this could be to have the GM lead the discussion, instructing all parties to answer only to the GM and to stay focused (by ensuring no new arguments are raised until all meaningful counterarguments have been made, but that's up to the GM and whatever he or she can handle).

Another idea, if permitted by board staff (and if a GM allows public dispute resolution), would be to have a dispute thread for any given RP.[/spoiler]

Ultimately, if you can't resolve disputes or are somehow incapable of being judicial, you may want to assign the GMing to someone else.

Anyway, I have no good ideas for RPs, but here are two crappy ideas:

[spoiler]This one is a quest that's basically an alternate version of Final Fantasy IX from Vivi's perspective, with more of an Earthbound-like plot. Not sure what the best way to handle that one is, but it almost certainly can't be handled the same way the more successful RPs were. There's precedent on this board discouraging the idea.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]This one is basically our version of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai (1954), meaning different characters, different death(s), and a different conclusion. I'm concerned that people might try to play it like the movie. Even if they don't, I can't help but think there'd be plenty of room for this to die out because everyone ends doing anything other than forming the Seven. A different number of samurai is one thing, but what's the point if there's a chance that none of the samurai get together for the main job?[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:37:52 PM by Max Headroom »

Offline jaydee

• thanks clu
  • The Master Baiter
  • Karma +5/-8
  • what
Re: Passive RPing Guide for the Busy People [I miss roleplaying]
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 09:50:38 PM »
Hello yes I am here for the "roller plays".
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:50:58 PM by J »

Offline Max Headroom

• Ace Attorney
  • Karma +2/-7
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:57:03 PM »
Hello yes I am here for the "roller plays".
Did you remember your roller skates? lol

Offline jaydee

• thanks clu
  • The Master Baiter
  • Karma +5/-8
  • what
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:59:28 PM »
no

Offline Max Headroom

• Ace Attorney
  • Karma +2/-7