News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

It's 1996, let's talk about Dragon Ball

Started by Neerb, January 27, 2013, 01:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neerb

So... I never watched Dragon Ball. Like, I knew about it, and I saw an episode or two, but I never followed it. Not the first one, not the way more popular Z, and not GT (which most people seem to hate anyway). Then Kai came out, claiming to be essentially an abridged (fillerless, manga-accurate) HD version of Z with a few better voice actors, which seemed like the perfect way to get the story without taking 3 times as long. Granted, Kai actually ended over a year ago, but I suddenly got the compulsion to watch it a week or two ago.

So, I've now seen all of Kai, and even though it's often cheezy, I liked it a lot. However, it only went through the end of Cell, and while I had never followed the original, I knew about Buu, so I did some internet browsing. Turns out, it was just announced in November that Buu Saga Kai is currently being worked on as well, and America will be getting it when it's done. Nice timing for me to get into it, I guess.

But then... I found THIS...

This March, Japan is getting it's first Dragon Ball (specifically Z) movie in a decade and a half. Given that every other movie in the series has been dubbed, I assume that means we (EVENTUALLY) will get it as well. So, I'm ten years late on one of the most famous anime ever, and all of a sudden I have a "new" season and a movie to look forward to. Very fortuitous indeed.

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Mona

Quote from: Neerb on January 27, 2013, 01:44:48 PM
with a few better voice actors

Most of the voice actors are the same as the original Funimation dub, but some of the new voices that they have are annoying to me, and not just because of nostalgia and whatnot.

For instance, Monica Rial is the new Bulma. That woman's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I understand that Bulma is supposed to be kind of an annoying character, but still. I'd rather not feel the need to claw my eardrums out every time she's on the screen. This isn't the first character Monica Rial has ruined for me either... -cough-MayChang-cough-

And then there's Android 18. Now, I like Colleen as a voice actress, but I don't like her voice for 18. Meredith McCoy's voice suits her better, in my opinion.

Those are just a couple examples.

Quote from: Neerb on January 27, 2013, 01:44:48 PM
even though it's often cheezy

You have to keep in mind the time that it was first aired. What is cheesy to us now wasn't necessarily cheesy to people back then. Also, a lot of the things that are typical shonen anime stuff nowadays were seen for the first time in DBZ. DBZ basically defined shonen.

Neerb

I personally like Bulma and 18's new voices for their characters, but Frieza's Kai voice is a 200% improvement over his old one.

Also, by "cheezy," I don't mean "bad;" while it has cheezy moments, I figure it's just a theme of the show, not bad writing in particular. They punch each other bloody and get gored and shot and curse to their hearts' content, and then Ginyu Force shows up. It's a purposeful, enjoyable, and often badly-needed comic relief, not cringe-worthy 4kids-level stuff.

Zero

Quote from: Neerb on January 27, 2013, 09:05:51 PM
I personally like Bulma and 18's new voices for their characters, but Frieza's Kai voice is a 200% improvement over his old one.

I disagree with you. Linda Young is Frieza to me.

The new guy isn't bad though.

Custom

i agree with zero

also am i the only person that likes og dbz better than kai? i feel like all that buildup is rad as hell and makes me pumped for when they actually fight

Zero

Quote from: Custom on January 28, 2013, 09:41:32 AM
i agree with zero

also am i the only person that likes og dbz better than kai? i feel like all that buildup is rad as hell and makes me pumped for when they actually fight

I haven't seen all of Kai. Only up to where Vegeta dies to Frieza. But from what I've seen, I like the remastered Funimation dub better. People like to say that Kai's dub is more accurate to the manga/japanese dub, and it is, but the remastered Funi dub is almost as accurate and has arguably better VAs for certain characters.

I'll be honest, Bulma was annoying before Kai. Both voice actors are annoying as hell. Even her japanese voice is annoying. She's supposed to piss you off. Her personality is poop too. So, the poopty voices fit.

As far as Android 18 and Gohan go, yeah, the og VAs were far better. Those two examples come to mind. The new Frieza voice is actually very well done, though. I just think Linda Young fits the character better and is more unique of a voice. An evil character with a British accent is sort of overdone, you know? His voice actually reminds me of LittleKuriboh's rendition of Frieza in DBZ Abridged. Good stuff.

See? It's very well done. I can see why people would like it more.

Neerb

Quote from: Custom on January 28, 2013, 09:41:32 AM

I'm sure it was; this is just faster, since I'm more busy these days.

Custom

Custom

Zero, i've only seen GT and Z. Is OG Dragon Ball worth shelling out for? I heard it's something you learn to appreciate as you grow older.

Zero

Quote from: Custom on February 18, 2013, 01:41:31 PM
Zero, i've only seen GT and Z. Is OG Dragon Ball worth shelling out for? I heard it's something you learn to appreciate as you grow older.

OG Dragonball is so much better than GT that it is honestly difficult to express this properly in sentence form.

Do it.