<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

The E3 2012 Info and Discussion Thread

Started by Hero_of_Darkness, May 23, 2012, 01:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on June 07, 2012, 05:47:36 PM
Somehow, I doubt that the GamePad alone needs an extra gig of RAM. :P

Considering the gamepad itself isn't exactly doing the rendering, I'd say it'd need everything it can get.

zephilicious

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on June 07, 2012, 05:33:37 PM
GPU-wise, 360 and PS3 are dead-even, and they have the same amount of RAM (where Wii U is rumored to have 3x as much as they do).  PS3 falls behind 360 in the GPU department in many cases, and makes up for that by using the Cell to handle some of the graphics. So, in practice, PS3 doesn't even come close to twice as powerful as 360. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

if used correctly, this is a good thing. the cell is good at the same sort of things that are normally offloaded to the gpu, meaning it can function as both cpu and gpu as needed.

the biggest thing you get from ram in terms of graphics is better textures, not to say that's a bad thing.
~~ <3

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Z on June 07, 2012, 09:02:34 PM
Considering the gamepad itself isn't exactly doing the rendering, I'd say it'd need everything it can get.
A 480p image only needs about half as many resources to render as a 720p image. It's simply impossible that the controller requires twice as much RAM as current consoles do.

Quote from: zephilicious on June 07, 2012, 11:40:27 PM
if used correctly, this is a good thing. the cell is good at the same sort of things that are normally offloaded to the gpu, meaning it can function as both cpu and gpu as needed.

the biggest thing you get from ram in terms of graphics is better textures, not to say that's a bad thing.

Yes, but a more powerful GPU negates that advantage, especially since the entire Cell can't be used for this at one time. 360 has a somewhat more powerful GPU overall, so while the Cell gives PS3 a notable edge it's nowhere near a 100% increase.

Also, having too little RAM or memory bandwidth can limit rendering resolution as well since it needs to store more textures  for that, not simply better textures.

Also, I want bring something up. I jumped to conclusions out of frustration when I said Wii U was less powerful than 360. I didn't really consider the fact that this is a brand new system and that devs have to learn to work with it. As for Nintendo's games, it's pretty obvious that Pikmin 3 and NSMBU started on Wii, so judging it by those may not work either. We'll probably have to wait until next year to see what it can really do. Too bad for Nintendo that the other next-gen consoles are going to make it look terrible by comparison by then. :/

Zero

I thought Pikmin 3 looked pretty good.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Z on June 08, 2012, 11:31:01 AM
I thought Pikmin 3 looked pretty good.
Pikmin 3 had fantastic lighting and some of the best leaf textures I've ever seen, but it's pretty obvious that the game started on Wii.

Zero

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on June 08, 2012, 12:07:24 PM
Pikmin 3 had fantastic lighting and some of the best leaf textures I've ever seen, but it's pretty obvious that the game started on Wii.

What makes it so obvious? We've been hearing about Pikmin 3 since around 2007. That makes it obvious. I can't see anything that makes it look remotely Wii-quality.

Tupin

So, will ZombiU be the next Red Steel? It's reboot of Ubisoft's first game that also had zombies, but that won't stop people from decrying a lack of creativity.

Apparently if you are bitten one time, you turn into a zombie. Then your new character has to find the zombie of the old one and take all of their survival stuff.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Z on June 08, 2012, 12:17:16 PM
What makes it so obvious? We've been hearing about Pikmin 3 since around 2007. That makes it obvious. I can't see anything that makes it look remotely Wii-quality.
The geometry isn't great.

Look closely at those eyes.  A lot of straight lines around it. The ground and grass textures also look pretty bad. At best, it's a below-average 360 game graphics-wise. It looks better in motion, but even then a lot of things look off.

Comparing it to the Pikmin puzzle on 3DS, I can tell that it's based on the same engine.

Quote from: Tupin on June 08, 2012, 12:51:36 PM
Apparently if you are bitten one time, you turn into a zombie. Then your new character has to find the zombie of the old one and take all of their survival stuff.
Wow, really? That's pretty awesome!

Neerb

Quote from: Tupin on June 08, 2012, 12:51:36 PM
So, will ZombiU be the next Red Steel? It's reboot of Ubisoft's first game that also had zombies, but that won't stop people from decrying a lack of creativity.

Well, it is in the sense of it being Ubisoft's premiere exclusive on the console, but if you mean will it be a colossal disappointment, I don't see that being likely; everyone who's gotten their hands on the demo has said it's great, and it frankly looks pretty good. Also, it seems pretty original for a zombie game; all the touch and motion stuff seems to work well, the one-bite-and-infected thing and the spawning as different characters to reclaim your old stuff is something that I'm surprised hasn't been implemented dozens of times already, it's in ENGLAND, and did I hear someone say it was open-world to an extent?

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on June 08, 2012, 01:07:42 PM
The geometry isn't great.

Look closely at those eyes.  A lot of straight lines around it. The ground and grass textures also look pretty bad. At best, it's a below-average 360 game graphics-wise. It looks better in motion, but even then a lot of things look off.

Comparing it to the Pikmin puzzle on 3DS, I can tell that it's based on the same engine.
And I mean to ask, who cares? It looks pretty all the same.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: DededeCloneChris on June 08, 2012, 02:31:49 PM
And I mean to ask, who cares? It looks pretty all the same.
You could say the same about Galaxy. Doesn't make it up to current standards.

zephilicious

galaxy looked gorgeous despite technical limitations

the screenshot above is a blurry muddy mess
~~ <3

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: zephilicious on June 12, 2012, 12:00:21 AM
galaxy looked gorgeous despite technical limitations

the screenshot above is a blurry muddy mess
That's focus, not blur, and you know it.

Not that it matters. Based on the latest rumor, the CPU is just 3 Wii CPUs on one chip. Nintendo expects the GPU to pick up the slack. It's PS3 in the opposite (far, far worse) direction. Sad part is, this means that the GPU can support next-gen engines, but theCPU bottlenecks it to the point that it can't even run most current gen games well. It's worse than Wii was.

Zero

You've presented rumors that have been wrong about the architecture before, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Z on June 13, 2012, 04:59:59 AM
You've presented rumors that have been wrong about the architecture before, so I'm not going to hold my breath.
Sorta. That one was wrong. It was speculation. The actual rumor is simply that Wii U's CPU is significantly weaker than current-gen CPUs.