News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

What would you want in an ideal 3D pokemon game?

Started by bluaki, September 29, 2009, 10:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Because they all have been rather lacking in features compared to handheld games. Check all options that you do or would like.

Simple mini-games (like Stadium)
8 (27.6%)
Mini-games in which your pokemon participate (like handheld Pokemon Contests and Pokethlon)
7 (24.1%)
Central storage system for handheld games (like Box and I think Stadium had it too)
15 (51.7%)
Trainer customization (like PBR, or better)
14 (48.3%)
Rental Pokemon: Stadium-like system (where one of every non-uber pokemon is set up with a battling moveset and selectable in a long list)
8 (27.6%)
Rental Pokemon: PBR-like system (where... you have some weird trading rentals stuff and only a premade team available at first)
1 (3.4%)
Mystery Gift bonus prizes (like PBR's, except maybe some better ones)
13 (44.8%)
Various different kinds of battle rules (like Stadium's, PBR's colosseums, or Battle Frontier)
13 (44.8%)
Adventure mode
15 (51.7%)
--Typical handheld 8 gyms+E4 system
14 (48.3%)
--Include breeding
14 (48.3%)
--Include random wild encounters
14 (48.3%)
--At least 8-directional (if not analog) movement
15 (51.7%)
--Multiple files on a single console
13 (44.8%)
--Include one or more classic regions, whether as a later bonus or a main focus
14 (48.3%)
--HM field moves
10 (34.5%)
I wouldn't want any 3D pokemon game in the first place (wat)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

bluaki

Sorry for the poll being so long :x

For some related notes:

• I didn't like Stadium's minigames
  • Minigames involving own pokemon aren't so great, but they're at least better in my opinion
  • Central storage system is something the 4th gen really needs
  • Trainer customization is something I liked quite a bit in PBR, although they could have had more features especially in terms of base character models.
  • Stadium's rental system was pretty nice, although it was time-taking to look through the entire list. Search features wouldn't hurt. PBR's rental system sucks.
  • PBR didn't use Mystery Gift for very many special things, but for simple items, Surfing Pikachu, and the bonus Magmortar+Electivire, it was nice.
  • Adventure mode is really what makes a Pokemon game actually feel like its own game instead of an extension to other games. Some 4th gen features that I didn't list can easily be assumed, like online trading and GTS.
  • I think the pokemon games have been stuck on the 8 gym leader and E4 system way too much. One thing the GC games' story did right is trying something different. Maybe it'd be nice to have gyms on the side but not a main focus.
  • Ever since 2nd gen, breeding is a huge part of the games, but the GC games lack it entirely.
  • Lack of random wild encounters really kills the GC games. XD tried partially having its silly poke spots but they sucked and took time to actually give you a wild.
  • 8-directional movement is really what makes the game feel 3D. That alone can also hugely change the area design in comparison to 4-directional movement.
  • At least when on a TV-based console (even more so when storage is internal instead of swappable memory cards), save files are more important. No pokemon game so far actually can hold more than one adventure file.
  • Classic regions might be overdone, and including them might cause other things to be dropped, but if it doesn't remove anything else then they'd be a nice addition. As the main focus would really be overdoing it though.
  • HM slaves are not so great. Pokemon world has quite some technology, why can't that be used for equivalent functions.

Friendly Hostile

Central storage system for handheld games
Trainer customization
Mystery Gift bonus prizes
Various different kinds of battle rules
Adventure mode with everything except the HM moves

I'd probably be content with this for a very long time.

FruitFlow

"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

bluaki

Quote from: SSBBRAWLIN on September 29, 2009, 10:51:18 PM
So one option has to be left out?
At the very least, I'm sure "I wouldn't want any 3D pokemon game in the first place" doesn't fit if you voted anything else at all.

The Riddler

Simple mini-games (like Stadium)
Mini-games in which your pokemon participate (like handheld Pokemon Contests and Pokethlon)
Central storage system for handheld games (like Box and I think Stadium had it too)
Trainer customization (like PBR, or better)
Mystery Gift bonus prizes (like PBR's, except maybe some better ones)
Various different kinds of battle rules (like Stadium's, PBR's colosseums, or Battle Frontier)
Adventure mode
--Typical handheld 8 gyms+E4 system
--Include breeding
--At least 8-directional (if not analog) movement
--Multiple files on a single console
--Include one or more classic regions, whether as a later bonus or a main focus
--HM field moves

It's alot, but combined it would make an epic MMO.

I've always imagined a Pokemon MMO as the following:
*Playing through the game as a normal GBA game in that you go through gyms/e4.
*Choose ANY region to start in, all regions available. Choose a starter from that region.
*In your region, have a "home". So that the town doesn't have to physically expand, make homes instances.
*Customize your trainers looks.
*No random encounters, Pokemon are visible on the screen. Engage them yourself or they could aggro.
*HM's are still required, and put invisible walls if someone cuts/pushes a boulder that you couldn't normally pass.
*Able to challenge any other trainer, but able to decline. Make battles invisible to outside trainers unless they choose to spectate.
*Depending on where you start, the gyms/trainers/e4 in the other regions get stronger. Since you can only do these one player anyway, it can adjust to your specific game.

Basically, this could be exactly like WoW or FFXI.
I feel like I'm missing something.

bluaki

You all actually like HM field moves? I'm the only one who didn't vote for them so far.

8-directional movement seems like the only thing everybody agrees on. Which is weird considering it's even a subtopic of any adventure mode at all which got less votes. Breeding, multiple files, and classic regions are missing only one vote of the people who voted so far.

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: bluaki on September 30, 2009, 01:38:10 PM
You all actually like HM field moves? I'm the only one who didn't vote for them so far.
No you aren't.

Gwen Khan

Central storage system
Mystery Gift bonus prizes
Typical handheld 8 gyms+E4 system
Include breeding
Include random wild encounters
At least 8-directional (if not analog) movement
Include one or more classic regions, whether as a later bonus or a main focus
HM field moves

Nayrman

How about just a 3D model high visually home console version of the handheld games with VA and such. That'd be pretty cool...

bluaki

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on September 30, 2009, 02:01:19 PM
No you aren't.
Wonder why it said 6 votes for HM field moves out of 7 total users voted at the time, then.

Crispy Cobalt

JrDude

A 3D game would be fun with most of that stuff, but I actually prefer it to be 2D. 3Dness takes up a lot of memory, so a lot of stuff looks weird imo, can't explain what I mean though.

Now an MMORPG is a somewhat different story. Some of these ideas were taken from Riddler that I agreed with.
I agree that you can choose the region you start in.
You can customize your looks and buy more stuff to make you change your look even more.
You can put some items on your Pok?mon, like maybe a ribbon, but this will be extremely limited.
Your home is a special room, in your home, no one else will appear, this way, 20 people won't be needing to talk to the "mom" when you need to.
Secret bases available, this will be your "other" home. There could be special areas for this since there is limited space in the games.
EVERY Pok?mon would be in the game, besides some legendaries. Many legendaries will be used in events where you  do certain stuff to get it, while others are given away as a prize. Many will be first come first serve, where there's like one, and you have to get to it before someone else does, those can also be killed for a lot of EXP, so hurry hurry. Some will also be special doors opened where you are alone, but no one else is there, kinda like the Mom house thingy.
Shinies will be impossible to get, besides similar to legendary events. In the wild there will be a 0% chance of a shiny unless otherwise stated for an event.

I also think there should be a story mode, this is where it's like the GBA games, you travel around and fight Gym leaders/E4, in this mode, every area that has a cuttable tree or pushable rock, or something of the sort, is basically a different room until you get out of the area where there are cuttable trees and junk, in this room you are alone so you can't take short cuts if you don't have certain HMs or if others don't have certain HMs. Story mode would basically be a GBA game with real random people around you, and many computer players along with computer Gym leaders. Computer trainers are basically based on how far you should be level-wise, while Gym Leaders go to your level automatically, since you can train with a lot of other people, and they'd want you to fight for your badge, not just get it. Special Pok?mon such as Snorlax will always be in your way on the first time, so you may see some people walk through him until you get him out of the way.

MMO mode is where you can go anywhere to just train for fun. In this mode there are no computer players, nor computer gym leaders. Here HMs can be used, and others without them can follow if they want to, after a while the tree grows back automatically or the rocks teleport (HOW THE FUCK DO YOU SPELL THAT WORD?! FIRE FOX SUCKS)  back or whatever. Gym battles would be faced with real people, real people who wanted to be gym leader, basically an event that isn't always available. Contests would also be on special occasions, in these you would not be judged by real people, but you'd face off against real people, this is because many people would get special treatment for friends, and some would make mistakes on some stuff and yeah, complicated.
There would also be some boats that go places, special days, other transportation is the train where you go there in a few seconds you're in the next place, while on the boat it takes a couple minutes, you're kicked off if you're on too long.

Long and somewhat confusing but that's how I want it =X
[move][/move]
Dude .

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: bluaki on September 30, 2009, 07:55:57 PM
Wonder why it said 6 votes for HM field moves out of 7 total users voted at the time, then.
Maybe I checked it by mistake.  I didn't want to vote for it though.

えっちーせんぱい

I'd like it so the main focus of the game would to go through at least one of the regions (you'd be able to pick which to start from) in a fully 3D environment, but you'd have to finish with the story before you would have access to a region that doesn't have anything besides other players in it, where there could be an additional 8 or so gyms, but run by willing trainers (within rules like level, type, movesets). Or you could choose to go through a 2nd preset region, and after that, maybe a 3rd. Once you finished with all of the preset regions, they you'd have to go through the newer one with everyone else.

Maybe make Orre a bonus area you could only get to once a month, and if you went, you'd have to stay an entire month :B

RX-78-2

I was thinking about making a similar thread for a while, but I'm glad you took the initiative.

I checked only those that I felt were the most important. I probably shouldn't have checked the rental Pok?mon things then, even though I do like that kind of stuff in the Battle Frontiers. I probably should've checked the 8-way movement box, but whatever.

In short, what I want is an ultimate Pok?mon game. It should include these features (it's a wish list, if you will):
- ALL regions; (at least the main ones, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh) you would start in Kanto, become the champion, then move on to Johto, but you couldn't take any Pok?mon with you until you until you beat that region (similar to the setting up of the P.C.'s in the Sevii Islands in FireRed and LeafGreen).
- ALL Pok?mon; you would be able to catch all Pok?mon, where they would be available in the region they were first introduced and the subsequent ones in which they are still available. E.g. Ponyta was introduced in Kanto, but is also available in Sinnoh. There would be no companion game. All legendaries would be included as well.
- accurate overworld sprites that reflect the person's Trainer battle sprite
- a Pok?tch or similar device that has high resolution graphics and more features as well as more useful features; the Pok?tch in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum has low resolution graphics even though it could've had the same graphics as the normal parts of the game
- something that tells you the "hidden" and "random" numbers of the game, including showing a Friendship number
- the possibility of traveling with people/having them travel with you including choosing who travels with you or if anyone does at all
- Trainer customization including clothing, body, hair, face, etc. (kind of like TES IV: Oblivion  =P, except for the DS or Wii lol)
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************