News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Overworld Pokemon sprites

Started by bluaki, April 17, 2009, 07:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your opinion on them

They should make overworld sprites for ALL pokemon, and at that also allow them all in Amity Park or perhaps even an option to follow you through the game like Pikachu in Yellow
10 (58.8%)
I think they probably should make the sprite for all available Pokemon. They'd use it on something, but I don't really want anything like Pikachu in Yellow.
2 (11.8%)
I think they should have more Pokemon overworld sprites, but definitely not have a Pikachu sort of thing for all of the 493 Pokemon. Maybe only for smaller pokemon that would fit in a 1x1 square.
1 (5.9%)
I think it's good as is, that only a few Pokemon have overworld sprites in the game and all the Pokemon that do are allowed in Amity Park.
3 (17.6%)
I don't think non-legendary Pokemon should have overworld sprites in the game at all.
0 (0%)
Other (post)
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

bluaki

Quote from: JrDude ♪ on June 16, 2009, 07:10:26 PM
Sometimes random isn't funny, sometimes it just means you're a moron.

And another thing, in response to me hoping that they can be put away, I'm almost positive they will be able to, due to the fact that some Pokémon can't run as fast as a bike/fly or swim over water/climb walls (if it somehow returns).
In Pokemon Yellow, Pikachu simply disappears from the screen while you're biking and surfing. I wouldn't doubt the same for this game. Actually, the bike sprite is slightly modified to look like it has a basket in the front for Pikachu to ride in if I remember right.
Fly isn't a very special animation. When the bird Pokemon shadow swoops down, your trainer's sprite disappears as if you're being picked up. It's not a stretch to guess that your following Pokemon is picked up as well. Or it can be like when you fly while surfing, and your Pokemon appears to be left behind.

Omega12

Quote from: Bluaki on June 17, 2009, 09:21:28 AM
In Pokemon Yellow, Pikachu simply disappears from the screen while you're biking and surfing. I wouldn't doubt the same for this game. Actually, the bike sprite is slightly modified to look like it has a basket in the front for Pikachu to ride in if I remember right.
Fly isn't a very special animation. When the bird Pokemon shadow swoops down, your trainer's sprite disappears as if you're being picked up. It's not a stretch to guess that your following Pokemon is picked up as well. Or it can be like when you fly while surfing, and your Pokemon appears to be left behind.

No, he just leaves the pokemon there to die D:

I heard a rumor that they are going to let you choose between Bike and Skateboard, i wonder how the skateboard would work out?

Super Hyper Puzzle Gem street fighter 4 the new challengers hyper fighting championchip edition Turbo  3rd Strike Alpha 3 Upper The Movie: The world warrior fighters new generation giant attack The final fight for the future HD Remix EX2010 Online

Gwen Khan

Quote from: Omega12 on June 17, 2009, 11:37:22 AM
No, he just leaves the pokemon there to die D:

I heard a rumor that they are going to let you choose between Bike and Skateboard, i wonder how the skateboard would work out?

the skateboard was just a rumor, and it was proven false I believe

JrDude

Quote from: Bluaki on June 17, 2009, 09:21:28 AM
When I said fly, I meant fly over the water while you surf, and I never played Yellow so I wouldn't know that part. And while talking about Surf, Yellow used a goldeen or something, I wonder how it would work out here. And about the bike, not all Pokémon are as light as Pikachu, so not all would be able to fit in a basket the bike holds, and if the game somehow makes it like that, well then that's kinda dumb.
Anyway, I still hope it can be put away, I like the idea of it following me, but sometimes I'd rather have it put away.
[move][/move]
Dude .

The Riddler

You guys are over thinking it. Most likely all they'll do is what they did in Yellow.
While walking, they follow you.
While surfing, they're "in their Pokeball."
While flying, they're "in their Pokeball."
While riding your bike, they're... you guessed it, "in their Pokeball."

I put that phrase in quotes to signify that it's up to interpretation, the Pokemon may be riding the bird/fish/bike with the trainer, but they won't be shown. Keep in mind, some Pokemon may be too big to ride in the bike, on the bird, or on the water pokemon... but at the same time, the trainer is too big as well. You need to suspend disbelief. Squirtle and Azurill can both learn Surf, but the trainer is much larger than both of them. Pidgey and Doduo can learn Fly, but the trainer is much larger than both of them... hell, Doduo doesn't even have wings.

JrDude

Rob, they can probably hold up the trainer, I mean, the trainer is like, 10 or something usually, not very heavy, and they cannot hold up all heavy ass Pokémon so yeah.
[move][/move]
Dude .

The Riddler

Thinking too much, JrDude.
Thinking. Too. Much.
Suspend disbelief.

Omega12

*Red used his Bike*
*Wailord hoped on the bike*

"Mrs. Red, I'm truly sorry for your loss..."

Super Hyper Puzzle Gem street fighter 4 the new challengers hyper fighting championchip edition Turbo  3rd Strike Alpha 3 Upper The Movie: The world warrior fighters new generation giant attack The final fight for the future HD Remix EX2010 Online

RX-78-2

I'd love to see every Pokemon have an overworld sprite. I'd also love to see any Pokemon of the player's choice follow them around if they so desire.  The developers could think of reasons fir the disappearance of Pokemon sprites while using field moves and such. As stated previously in another post, the Pokemon would just return to its Pokeball.

Another thing I'm concerned about though is the lack of variety in people sprites. When I see a trainer in the overworld with green hair, and then battle them and see their "up-close" sprite, which for some reason might have blue hair... D= ????... I don't know, it's just a pet peeve of mine. I'd like to see more people sprites that have more than two varieties for a type of Trainer (i.e. a male "Cool Trainer" and a female "Cool Trainer"). They could have two different kinds of "Cool Trainer"-type people of the same gender (meaning two different-looking male "Cool Trainers" and two different-looking female ones etc. for other kinds of Trainers). I don't want them using one overworld sprite for two types of people. It just bugs me. Like I said, it's a quirk or whatever you want to call it.

This is a bit off-topic, but what ever happened to "checking" any object that you pressed that A-button on? There was a lot more of that in the older games. The new ones just have a few things where it's like "This is where mom does all her delicious cooking." when I press "A" at the sink. I want to be able to walk up to a tree, press the A-button, and have a window appear that says "A tree." Of course I'd love ii if it said: "It's a tall, green tree. Kind of reminds you of [something relevant to the game, your hometown, etc.]." They could also fix some of the sprites for buildings and furniture. But all this might be asking too much of the developers. I'll wait another year for a game if they could put all of this into it though.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

JrDude

I see what you mean Frog, I mean, I see a cool trainer (green hair and such) overworld sprite, then I battle a Dragon tamer with black hair and crap? Wtf is that? I see a Hiker sprite and fight a Ruin Master? I see an old bald guy with blue clothes and find a not-too-old guy with long black hair and red pants? Seriously, wtf?
I also would like more overworld sprites for the main character, I mean in the Anime, the mom told Ash to always change his underwear everyday, but why not his outerwear? (That's just an example)
[move][/move]
Dude .

RX-78-2

To JrDude ♪'s latest post:

Ah, I see it is a quirk shall we say...? of yours too. I wasn't able to really remember the names of the trainers or anything, but for some reason I remembered the one you forgot. The "old bald with blue clothes" is just the sprite for some old guys, and the "not-too-old guy with long black hair and red pants" is a "Veteran" I believe. You make a good point though about the protagonist's clothes. When will the day come that we will be able to fully customize our Trainer's look and attire? They did a pretty good job with the clothing in Battle Revolution as well as some of the other features for Trainers. I'd really enjoy that in a main Pokemon game.

And, on a side note, what about traveling companions that stay with you the whole journey? The developers have shown that they can successfully make another Trainer follow you. The only thing really different is that not all battles would be double battles. You could also maybe ask them to stop following after finishing the main storyline and the would return home and/or go about their own business. Then you could meet up with them later and travel with them again. If you use a field move, they would just kind of "hop into" your sprite like a Pokemon would, or maybe only one Trainer sprite would show in the overworld. It'd be so cool to be just like Ash and have someone like one of his friends tag along where ever you go. If this is ever considered though, the traveling companion must be a help and not a hindrance. Sorry for this kind of off-topic bit.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

JrDude

I knew the names, I was just giving a visual with words. I also never got Battle Revolution, not really sure how the game would work, is it an adventure game? or is it similar to Pok?mon Stadium? And even though it's in that game, I would like it to be in one of the handheld games.

On the other thing you said, I think it would be best if no one followed you throughout the whole adventure, maybe in parts (like in D/P/Pt), but not the whole time.

I have another question, say Scizor is following you and you use Cut, what will happen there? Will the trainer move and then Scizor goes and front then the tree disappears? Or Crobat is following you and you use fly, will it fly in the sky first? Same with a Gyarados, if it's following you and you use surf, will it jump in the water first? Or on all those, will the Pok?mon either disappear or just stay where it is?
[move][/move]
Dude .

bluaki

Quote from: JrDude ♪ on June 25, 2009, 08:56:19 PM
I knew the names, I was just giving a visual with words. I also never got Battle Revolution, not really sure how the game would work, is it an adventure game? or is it similar to Pok?mon Stadium? And even though it's in that game, I would like it to be in one of the handheld games.
Battle Revolution is more like Pokemon Stadium. Of course, like the GCN games' battles and unlike N64 Stadium games, a 3D trainer is shown issuing commands on the battlefield. That trainer can be customized; players can select one of six base trainers (young boy, cooltrainer male, muscle man, young girl, cooltrainer female, and little girl) and the clothing can all be changed (shirts, pants, wrist accessory, bag, headwear, and shoes)
Quote from: JrDude ♪ on June 25, 2009, 08:56:19 PM
I have another question, say Scizor is following you and you use Cut, what will happen there? Will the trainer move and then Scizor goes and front then the tree disappears? Or Crobat is following you and you use fly, will it fly in the sky first? Same with a Gyarados, if it's following you and you use surf, will it jump in the water first? Or on all those, will the Pok?mon either disappear or just stay where it is?
That would make sense for the following Pokemon to move forward when cutting, but I see it as unlikely. I think the cut will be initiated the same way as other games ignoring which pokemon is following you. Same for strength.