News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

ouch stawly

Started by Avion-Finch, June 23, 2008, 08:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avion-Finch

anyway, I restarted on my pearl version, and last night I caught a starly, this morning I start to train it, well, it leveled up and gained 3 in attack!
I didnt know a low leveled starly could do that, maybe there is an RNG in pokemon.....and its blessed.
and I mean as in an rng for level ups, not for if an attack misses or not.

Brawl FC 1504-5840-0611 name Avion, mains below(as of now)

ThePowerOfOne

Its called EV's. You must have fought something that gave EV's in Attack.

Macawmoses

And the fact you trained it, it just means other stats didn't get a boost.

THEEVILSPERKY

RNG?

And Phaze called it.  In addition to normal bonuses for leveling up, you probably defeated a fair enough amount of Pokemon that give attack EV's to equal some extra stat increases.

Every Pokemon you defeat gives you Effort Points or Effort Values.  Every 4 EV's is a +1 in a certain stat.  But it doesn't always show the +1 at every level up, but by level 100, they're all applied.  So even if you max out EV's early, not all the +1's for every 4 will show up.. or else you'd have a low-level powerhouse and it balances out by level how many EV's are being applied.  They're still they're, just not showing the proper effect until later levels.

So yeah, basically you defeated enough Pokemon that give Attack EV's to give some extra stats for your Starly's attack.  Welcome to EV training.

EDIT: Your thread's title better not be alluding to what I think it is... ~_~
NES, SNES, N64, GCN (Jet Black), PQ (JPN), Wii, GBP (Clear), GBC (Green x2), GBASP (x2 Cobalt, x1 NES), DSLite (Black), SG3, SDC (x1 BIG, x1 Clear black top, solid grey/beige bottom), PS (x2), PS2 (Slim, Silver), PS3 (NTSC 60GB upgraded to 500GB), PSP 2000 (Silver, 4GB), XBox360 Elite

Rayquarian

Quote from: THEEVILSPERKY on June 24, 2008, 01:17:03 AM
RNG?

And Phaze called it.  In addition to normal bonuses for leveling up, you probably defeated a fair enough amount of Pokemon that give attack EV's to equal some extra stat increases.

Every Pokemon you defeat gives you Effort Points or Effort Values.  Every 4 EV's is a +1 in a certain stat.  But it doesn't always show the +1 at every level up, but by level 100, they're all applied.  So even if you max out EV's early, not all the +1's for every 4 will show up.. or else you'd have a low-level powerhouse and it balances out by level how many EV's are being applied.  They're still they're, just not showing the proper effect until later levels.

So yeah, basically you defeated enough Pokemon that give Attack EV's to give some extra stats for your Starly's attack.  Welcome to EV training.

RNG stands for Random Number Generator.  It's supposed to generate random numbers for various purposes.

Avion-Finch

RNG?

starlys give speed evs, bidoofs give hp, those are all I fought.
and sorry, I couldnt resist, I just recently saw the video.

Brawl FC 1504-5840-0611 name Avion, mains below(as of now)

THEEVILSPERKY

Quote from: Avion-Finch on June 25, 2008, 02:31:10 PM
RNG?

starlys give speed evs, bidoofs give hp, those are all I fought.
and sorry, I couldnt resist, I just recently saw the video.
I have some female friends obsessed with it that say it in unison and then cackle about it so it got old fast for me.. plus it reminds me about how I don't get along with my own sibling.. and that voice, argh, I can't stand it.. but I enjoyed the reference anyways.. eheh.. >_>

Perhaps you gave it a berry with EV properties or through an EXP Share, if you had one attached, may have transferred some EV's as well.  Maybe it had a low Attack stat and through it's nature and level-up, it gained 3 to catch up to where it should be at that next level.. hmm..

If there is an RNG, there has to be a limited range for it then since there are caps for stats and randomized stat gains would throw that outta whack without some sorta limiter... which seems extra complicated.  I believe it's a fixed increase per level up.. but then again, maybe it varies within a certain range to a certain degree so as to not fall out of line of where certain-natured Pokemon of a certain level should approximately be..

It'd be interesting to clone Pokemon and raise them identically and see what happens..

See what Rare Candy level-ups do, if the results are 100% exactly the same, see level-ups with identical EV gains involved, etc.  That might shed some light on how random stat gains are, if there is any random aspect.. but maybe it's just the IV's.. which you'd not notice affecting the two Pokemon any differently since the IV's would be the same.  Your character probably had good IV's too.. which may have been somewhat influential.  A combination of a good IV for a stat and a standard level-up stat gain as well as a good nature if applicable here.. could explain it.. hard to say.. I don't know much about how it all works..
NES, SNES, N64, GCN (Jet Black), PQ (JPN), Wii, GBP (Clear), GBC (Green x2), GBASP (x2 Cobalt, x1 NES), DSLite (Black), SG3, SDC (x1 BIG, x1 Clear black top, solid grey/beige bottom), PS (x2), PS2 (Slim, Silver), PS3 (NTSC 60GB upgraded to 500GB), PSP 2000 (Silver, 4GB), XBox360 Elite