News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

Shedinja

Started by ThePowerOfOne, October 17, 2010, 01:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePowerOfOne

I need help choosing a moveset for my Shedinja in Emerald. Right now it's between:
Shadow Ball
Silver Wind
Swords Dance
Aerial Ace

Or:
Shadow Ball
Silver Wind
Confuse Ray
Toxic

The first one would probably do more damage, but since Shedinja is so slow, if the oppenent has a move that can kill it, it will before I really have a chance to Swords Dance or anything. Also, Aerial Ace is kinda useless because it's only Super Effective against Bug, Fighting, and Grass types, none of which hurt Shedinja. I think I like the second one more. Since it's more fun to torture opponents ^__^

It's just for in-game, but will be used in the Battle Frontier a lot. If it matters, the rest of my team is (or, will be) Swampert, Breloom, Milotic, Ninetales, and Gardevoir.

Kayo

Use Protect. Seriously, it's good for scouting when you don't know whether the opponent has a deadly move or not. Toxic isn't going to help much, since you can't stay alive long enough for it to do much damage. You quite honestly don't need Aerial Ace. It's got no useful coverage. Yeah, there's fighting  and bug types (grass is covered by Silver Wind), but those two types usually can't do anything to you anyway. And you said that in your post, and I didn't notice that until now. I only have a Shedinja in 4th generation, but if I used one in Emerald I personally would probably go with this:

Shadow Ball
Silver Wind
Confuse Ray
Protect

If you REALLY think you can survive enough to use Toxic, you can try it. Shedinja can't hurt steels without Hidden Power anyway, so you'll switch out at them no matter what. Rocks too. And probably Fires. While I'm at it, Darks and Flyings. Maybe ghosts. You can get rid of Shadow Ball and go with Toxic/Confuse Ray/Protect with one of those two attacking moves (Shadow Ball is more powerful but won't hurt Normals, Silverwind has lower PP and Power). Then use Toxic + Confuse Ray, then alternate between Protect and attack. As long as you survive that can be pretty annoying.

If you're gonna use EVs, throw them all into Attack and speed. Obviously, as all other stats are 100% useless.

While I'm critiquing, let me mention that your team is not Ludicolo-proof. Shedinja is the only thing that can handle it, and it's not gonna be much use if Ludicolo poisons it. Also I love Swampert and Ninetales <3
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

ThePowerOfOne

Quote from: It's ROBBIE! on October 17, 2010, 01:39:25 PM
http://www.smogon.com/rs/pokemon/shedinja
Well no poop, I already checked there. The best they had was Shadow Ball, Silver Wind, Swords Dance, and Protect. Why the intercourse  would you need Swords Dance with no Attack move?

Thanks Kianglo, I guess i'll try Shadow Ball, Silver Wind, Confuse Ray, and Protect. Toxic just seems so useful though, like for poisoning something that resists Shadow Ball or Silver Wind (but I guess with Confuse Ray they could just kill themselves, right?).
And honestly, when I chose my team, I didn't really pick any to make it super balanced or anything. I just kinda picked my favorites and hoped they would work together, so I assumed it would have a few weaknesses :p

Kayo

Quote from: Phaze on October 19, 2010, 12:13:17 AM
Well no poop, I already checked there. The best they had was Shadow Ball, Silver Wind, Swords Dance, and Protect. Why the intercourse  would you need Swords Dance with no Attack move?
QuoteFirst off, Shadow Ball and Silver wind are both attack moves. Just sayin'

QuoteThanks Kianglo, I guess i'll try Shadow Ball, Silver Wind, Confuse Ray, and Protect. Toxic just seems so useful though, like for poisoning something that resists Shadow Ball or Silver Wind (but I guess with Confuse Ray they could just kill themselves, right?).
And honestly, when I chose my team, I didn't really pick any to make it super balanced or anything. I just kinda picked my favorites and hoped they would work together, so I assumed it would have a few weaknesses :p
Shadow Ball and Silver Wind together are resisted by the following in RSE:
-Any Steel type not named Metagross or Jirachi
-Any Normal/Flying type

Now you see, in either case you would switch out anyway. First, Steels will ALWAYS wall Shedinja, because they also resist, well are immune to Toxic. So you can't poison them anyway. And why you would not switch out your haunted bugshell at the sight of a Dodrio is beyond me.

So, point is Toxic would just be redundant. Confuse Ray, yeah. If you think you have a free turn use it, then switch out. Never put Shedinja up against something that can kill it. But Shedinja is always able to completely block certain movesets (i.e. Kingdra without Hidden Power, etc, but you seldom see Hidden Power in the BF). Also, when you face Anabel in the Battle Tower the second time (DO NOT use Shedinja your first battle with her, all three pokemon can kill it) two of her pokemon are walled by Shedinja. Bring it out early and she will switch to Snorlax. Switch out to a counter and kill her Snorlax, then Shedinja wins.

I suggest researching the Frontier Brains (bulbapedia helps a lot with this- since it even has the movesets of the pokemon used) and finding out what Frontier Brains are most susceptible to Shedinja, and what ones can eliminate it quickly (Watch out for Sandstorm or Hail!)

People say Shedinja sucks and never to use it. But if you know how, it can be an amazing Pokémon. The people who say that are just making stuff up because they don't know how to use one. *Is a proud Shedinja owner*
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

ThePowerOfOne

Thanks, guess i'll just stick with that moveset then.

Also, Shadow Ball and Silver Wind are Sp. Attack moves, Swords Dance raises Attack, right? So it wouldn't really do anything.

Kayo

Quote from: Phaze on October 19, 2010, 12:19:34 PM
Thanks, guess i'll just stick with that moveset then.

Also, Shadow Ball and Silver Wind are Sp. Attack moves, Swords Dance raises Attack, right? So it wouldn't really do anything.
Wait, this is the PtHGSS Frontier? /facepalm

I've been playing Emerald a lot lately, and when you said Frontier I assumed the Emerald one. My bad. So yeah, disregard everything I said about RSE. :/
[move][/move]

ThePowerOfOne

Quote from: Kianglo on October 19, 2010, 12:23:34 PM
Wait, this is the PtHGSS Frontier? /facepalm

I've been playing Emerald a lot lately, and when you said Frontier I assumed the Emerald one. My bad. So yeah, disregard everything I said about RSE. :/
Wait, wat? No. It's the Emerald Frontier.

What, are they Attack moves in Emerald? Or does Swords Dance boost both Attack and Sp. Attack? *is confused* :/

Kayo

Quote from: Phaze on October 19, 2010, 12:28:01 PM
Wait, wat? No. It's the Emerald Frontier.

What, are they Attack moves in Emerald? Or does Swords Dance boost both Attack and Sp. Attack? *is confused* :/
Ah, so I'm not crazy. All moves of the Ghost and Bug types were physical before Gen IV. So yes, despite them both being Special now, they were physical in RSE. Swords Dance boosts Attack, and therefore makes Shadow Ball and Silver Wind more powerful.
[move][/move]

ThePowerOfOne

Dammit, why don't I know these things? ;_;

Well would Swords Dance be more useful than Confuse Ray, then? Seems like Confuse Ray doesn't really fit in there without Toxic anyway.

Kayo

Quote from: Phaze on October 19, 2010, 12:37:53 PM
Dammit, why don't I know these things? ;_;

Well would Swords Dance be more useful than Confuse Ray, then? Seems like Confuse Ray doesn't really fit in there without Toxic anyway.
Well, Confuse Ray is the luck/hax way of trying to buy an extra turn or force a switch.
[move][/move]

Rayquarian

Quote from: Kianglo on October 21, 2010, 04:20:07 PM
Well, Confuse Ray is the luck/hax way of trying to buy an extra turn or force a switch.
Combine it with paralysis, though, and...

Well, Shedinja can't learn that anyways.

Kayo

Quote from: Rayquarian on October 21, 2010, 04:26:52 PM
Combine it with paralysis, though, and...

Well, Shedinja can't learn that anyways.
Ray, don't move. You have 2,999 posts.

Shedinja has no real way of avoiding being killed, unless you wanna spam DT. Which you can do in the BF.
[move][/move]

ThePowerOfOne

I think i'm just going to go with Shadow Ball, Silver Wind, Swords Dance, and Protect.

Also, before I start EV training it, I want to put it in the Daycare to level it up a bit and learn Shadow Ball, but I need to know what order old moves are forgotten and new moves are learned in the Daycare in Emerald. Just so it doesn't forget Silver Wind and Swords Dance. I think in 4th gen the moves at the top are forgotten first, but it's reversed in Emerald. But I forgot...

Kayo

Quote from: Phaze on October 26, 2010, 06:28:57 PM
I think i'm just going to go with Shadow Ball, Silver Wind, Swords Dance, and Protect.

Also, before I start EV training it, I want to put it in the Daycare to level it up a bit and learn Shadow Ball, but I need to know what order old moves are forgotten and new moves are learned in the Daycare in Emerald. Just so it doesn't forget Silver Wind and Swords Dance. I think in 4th gen the moves at the top are forgotten first, but it's reversed in Emerald. But I forgot...
I'm pretty sure the top moves have always been forgotten first. Actually, proof.

Lairon learns Roar at L21, Take Down at L25, Iron Tail at L29, Protect at L37, and Metal Sound at L45.
So a Lairon caught at level 38 would have the moves: Roar, Take Down, Iron Tail, Protect; in that order. A Lairon caught at level 46 (hypothetically) would have Take Down, Iron Tail, Protect, and Metal Sound.

As you can see, the oldest move (the first) disappears first. So put the moves you want in the 3rd and 4th slots.

While I'm at it, Shedinja learns Shadow Ball at level 38. The only two moves it learns before that (after evolution at L20) are Spite at 25, and Confuse Ray at 31. So yeah, you will need to remove Shedinja from the DayCare at least once and rearrange the moves, before level 38. So when it's level 31-37, remove and put the desired moves back at the bottom. After learning Shadow Ball at L38, it only has one more move. Grudge at level 45. But most things don't reach 45 in the Day Care unless you leave them in a really, REALLY long time.
[move][/move]