News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

Voltorb Flip Game

Started by RX-78-2, August 19, 2010, 12:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RX-78-2

Who here plays the Voltorb Flip Game at the Game Corner in HG/SS? Do you like it? What level can you get to? How many coins do you have? Do you use any strategies?

Apparently, the game was a replacement for the slot machines at past game corners because someone didn't want the game to promote gambling to children. It's a pretty good replacement, but you can't just buy the coins anymore--you have to win them--and if you're not very good, it takes very long to get enough for a prize.

I really like the game though. I have about 7,000 coins right now and can get up to level 5, but I don't last there for long. I use some strategies that I made up through my own experience and am willing to share them to see if others can use them or if they already do. The strategies take longer than I thought to explain, so I'll put some examples--with answers and extras in spoilers.

I'll bold some things in an effort to make them a bit clearer. For ease of comprehension, I've only used the word "row." However, it's interchangeable with "column"--which means that the strategy works both for rows (horizontal) and columns (vertical).

One strategy is to look at the number of Voltorbs in the row and the number of the sum of the value of the cards in the row. You then add those numbers. If this new sum adds up to five (the minimum amount possible for any row), then the row is what I call a "dead" row (or column). This means that the row has only Voltorbs or 1 cards. No matter what the combination of Voltorbs and 1 cards there is (e.g. one Voltorb and four 1 cards, two Voltorbs and three 1 cards), none of them need be revealed, as only 2 cards and 3 cards earn coins and level advancement. The easiest way to keep track of a dead row is to mark all of the cards in it with a Voltorb mark and a 1 mark.

Another strategy is used in conjunction with the aforementioned one. Once you find a 2 card or 3 card in a row, that--in most cases--significantly increases your odds at correctly guessing the other cards in the row.

Here are some examples:

• A row has one Voltorb and a total value of 6 for the cards in it. If only a 3 card is revealed, what are the rest of the four cards in the row?

• Hint: [spoiler]The row is a dead row.[/spoiler]

• Answer: [spoiler]One Voltorb and three 1 cards[/spoiler]
    • Explanation: [spoiler]The exact locations can't yet be determined by the information given in this example, but those are the only possible cards because there's one Voltorb, which technically has a value of zero. Because a 3 card was revealed and there are only three other card spots that can be (and must be) used to add up to the total value of 6, each of those three card spots must have a 1 card because 3+1+1+1=6. Further more, because it's now known that the remaining cards are Voltorbs and 1 cards, the row is dead and no more cards in it need revealing.[/spoiler]
  • More examples of rows that can be solved by the previous strategy:
    [spoiler]

• Two Voltorbs and a total value of 5 with a 3 card revealed
    • One Voltorb and a total value of 8 with two 3 cards revealed
    • Three Voltorbs and a total value of 4 with a 3 card revealed
    • Two Voltorbs and a total value of 4 with a 2 card revealed
    [/spoiler]
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Relichris

The highest I've been in is Level 3.  I get pretty good sometimes but I don't play it as much.  I do find it fun. 

ThePowerOfOne

I think the highest i've goten to was level... 2 >_>   And even that didn't last long...

It makes me want to rip my hair out. Fuck you, Voltorb Flip. I want my slots back |:

jnfs2014

I got to lvl6 last night and have gotten to lvl8 before because of it advancing me three levels at once. o_O

Also, a HUGE tip of advice: if you're in levels 4+, ALWAYS open the boxes with zero Voltorb, even if it's a 1 point. More cards flipped means that you won't go back a level if you lose.

Cornwad

That game gave me a deep hatred of voltorb. It was easily the worst thing about HGSS. I got pretty far in it, but that doesn't make me hate it any less.

bluaki

I could easily figure out all the strategy there is to the game quickly, but there's still quite a bit of guessing needed. I once made it to level 3, realized a loss makes me drop levels, and quit for good to just transfer any prize stuff from either my Japanese SS game (which has slots) or other games.

I generally don't like the Game Corner regardless. I've almost always just used it to buy my coins and exchange them for the otherwise-unobtainable prizes with hardly touching the slots. I guess attempting to change up the game corner is nice, but I hate the changes when it's a still-luck-based minigame that I dislike worse than slots, still takes forever to get enough coins for any prize, and removes the cash exchange.

Mystic

I love that game so much, so addicting <3

jnfs2014

Oh, and this:

If you flip 0-1 coins and then get a Voltorb, you drop to lvl1.

If you flip 2 cards and then get a Voltorb, you drop to lvl2.

so on and so forth....

RX-78-2

Quote from: JRose on August 21, 2010, 02:22:11 PM
Oh, and this:

so on and so forth....
Ooo, I didn't know that. All I knew was that you get dropped less if you reveal more cards.

Quote from: bluaki on August 21, 2010, 05:03:38 AM
I could easily figure out all the strategy there is to the game quickly, but there's still quite a bit of guessing needed. I once made it to level 3, realized a loss makes me drop levels, and quit for good to just transfer any prize stuff from either my Japanese SS game (which has slots) or other games.

I generally don't like the Game Corner regardless. I've almost always just used it to buy my coins and exchange them for the otherwise-unobtainable prizes with hardly touching the slots. I guess attempting to change up the game corner is nice, but I hate the changes when it's a still-luck-based minigame that I dislike worse than slots, still takes forever to get enough coins for any prize, and removes the cash exchange.
Yeah, the guessing that's still needed sometimes irks me too. It's especially annoying when it's down to the last four cards and two are Voltorbs and the other two are non-Voltorb, non-1 cards. I just get the coins that I can at that point.

I used to just buy the coins too, so it's really annoying that they took it away.

Quote from: JRose on August 19, 2010, 09:34:14 PM
I got to lvl6 last night and have gotten to lvl8 before because of it advancing me three levels at once. o_O

Also, a HUGE tip of advice: if you're in levels 4+, ALWAYS open the boxes with zero Voltorb, even if it's a 1 point. More cards flipped means that you won't go back a level if you lose.
Wow! That's impressive. How'd you get three levels up at once?

And I always flip the zero rows too, even though they're "dead." It actually helps most of the time.

Quote from: Mystic on August 21, 2010, 01:48:28 PM
I love that game so much, so addicting <3
Yes, it's very addicting. But when I get dropped to level 1, I quit lol.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Mystic

I've gotten to level 6. Never higher that I can think of.

Kayo

In order to stay on the current level, you must reveal that many cards. Not counting the Voltorb. For example, at level 6, if you reveal 6 cards, you are safe.

i have made it ONCE to level 9. then flipped a single card to reveal a Voltorb, then dropped to level 1. >_>

I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

jnfs2014

Quote from: Kianglo on September 05, 2010, 12:07:45 PM
In order to stay on the current level, you must reveal that many cards. Not counting the Voltorb. For example, at level 6, if you reveal 6 cards, you are safe.
Quote from: JRose on August 21, 2010, 02:22:11 PM
Oh, and this:

so on and so forth....
yup