UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Tolerance and Racism.

Started by Allegretto, June 12, 2010, 10:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allegretto

So, how tolerant are you?

And are you racist about anything? Pretty basic topic

I am very racist, I go off of my personal experiences since experience is the best teacher.

And I am tolerant about very little things.

tibar21

nah i'm not racist or anything. i'm actually a very open minded person. i don't got a thing against anyone. this world could sure use a poopload of tolerance right now.
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

Cornwad

I don't care what race a person is, as long as they don't get too proud about where they come from. For example, I know a lot of really nice Russian people. But there is this one Russian guy I know who goes around acting like Russia is a halfway decent place, and he's an poop hole.

As for your tolerance, I don't mind that people exist with different ideas as long as they stay away from me.

JrDude

I feel like I'm the least racist being ever, I know I'm not, but I feel like it (possibly because part of my family is extremely racist)...
I am jokingly racist all the time, but I try not to think racist things or something. I don't like the stereotype' black person personality though, you know the one people assume most black people are. I know plenty of black people who don't act like that and plenty of non-black people who act like that too.
Everyone is racist though. As long as you label someone as a race, you are racist, until everyone is not considered a race to your eyes, you are racist. There are kids who are not racist, but once they realize "oshi, he's brown and I'm peach," then they're racist.

I'm also very tolerant.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Jayat

I hate racism.and let me tell you why...I want to date outside my race but do to all of the older parents who have issues with me being black people look at me like I'm the flow or something

Click here to level up my card!

Wii 8713-9036-0212-2272

Allegretto

Quote from: Jayat on June 13, 2010, 07:30:43 AM
I hate racism.and let me tell you why...I want to date outside my race but do to all of the older parents who have issues with me being black people look at me like I'm the flow or something
Most non Caucasians hate racism.

Unless they themselves are very racist.

Jayat

No, I'm not racist at all. I don't agree with the stereotyping of Certain backgrounds because there over thinking the an entire race

Click here to level up my card!

Wii 8713-9036-0212-2272

Kayo

I was raised in a racist/homophobic family. I have no problem with people of other races unless they're stereotypical.

I hate black people who call each other "nigga" all the time, and make racist comments toward white people. THAT, I can't stand one bit.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Keeta

... lol

of course everybody has some prejudice, but we live in a society where it does waaaaay more harm than good.

Personally, I repress any prejudices I may have, and do my best to analyze people for who they are as a person, instead of basing my perception of them off of a convenient image.

It's all part of being mature.
Majora's Mask Single Segment: 2:04

Other things to brag about: none

Red

I make tons of racist jokes, but I don't care what race someone is. Some people are nice, some are poop holes. It's that way for every race.

Quote from: Cornwad on June 12, 2010, 10:43:19 PM
But there is this one Russian guy I know who goes around acting like Russia is a halfway decent place, and he's an poop hole.
Since when isn't it...?

PsychoYoshi

These are more my thoughts about prejudice in general, but as racism is one major form, well...

To quote a classical musical by the name of Avenue Q:

Everyone's a little bit racist, it's true
But everyone is just about as racist as you
If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit
And everyone stopped being so PC
Maybe we could live in harmony

Racism is endemic to humanity much in the same way that eating and sleeping are. Any time that we encounter someone different than we are, we feel the need to compare ourselves to the other person--race is frequently used because it's instantly noticeable and doesn't require having to get to know another person. You might say that it's partially a biological instinct--organisms generally want to protect their own kin so that their genes are the ones being passed on, and everyone else either wants to eat you, should be eaten, or is a competitor for the same resources.

We, as much as we think of ourselves as advanced and civilized, are really those same Stone Age cavemen--all that's advanced is our culture (and some Romantics would say that tribal culture is preferable to modern culture) and technology. Everyone has these basic drives to "protect like" ingrained in their personality somewhere, the only difference is what we choose to do with them. Anyone who calls him or herself "not racist" immediately flags as suspect in my book.

So, what can be done about it?
1) People need to step outside of their comfort zones and have frank discussions with people from different groups, because it will ultimately help them realize that not all blacks talk in ebonics and listen to rap music, and not all gay people talk with lisps and listen to show tunes.

2) Society as a whole needs to stop the rampant censorship and political correctness associated with racial/religious/sexual/etc. grouping. I'm tired of the ridiculous double-standard whereby it's perfectly OK for blacks to use "n_gger" and for homosexuals to use "fag", but totally inappropriate for anyone outside those groups. I'm probably going to raise a few eyebrows here, but let people say "n_gger", "spic", "raghead", "dyke", "faggot", and other slurs as much as they want. Words aren't actions; they don't have the power to physically harm anyone. People can make the argument that they can be traumatizing, but ultimately it's the person on the receiving end who decides whether or not to be affected.

I went to a funeral picketed by the Westboro Baptist Church to help counter-protest, and I got called "fag" a couple times by the bigots. Perhaps I should've sat down right there and moped around because someone called me a bad word? No. Using these slurs makes you sound like an idiot, which is precisely why I'm against censorship--slurs will undermine the positions of these people and cause them to lose any sympathy that they garner from the mainstream public.

3) At the same time, sane people should know what these slurs have weight and shouldn't use them in educated conversation. If someone wants to use one jokingly in private towards a person that they know isn't going to be bugged and if they accept all responsibility for the word's usage, more power to them. However, people shouldn't be going out their way to light fires merely for the sake of lighting fires.

Red

Quote from: Cornwad on June 16, 2010, 12:12:16 PM
Russia isn't communist any more. -_-

But back on topic, I agree with PY. He put it very well.

Cornwad

Red

...It's not. It hasn't for a while. Am I missing something? Or do you think because Putin is semi-totalitarian, that means it's communist?