News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

Lyrics in Song Writing

Started by HTA!, November 09, 2008, 11:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HTA!

Whether they are silly, deep and meaningful, or just downright strange... lyrics are at the heart of most great songs.
Not to say the beat isn't important, I mean look at rap... no lyrical value there at all... but in my opinion music is made by the lyrics not the sound.

For example.

"I've laid to rest the false belief
of average stock in me.
I'll not relent,
no average destiny.
I'll reach the point where mankind's sins
no longer rest in me
A long hard road,
this manifest destiny"

What songs are special to you not because of the sound, but because of the lyrics?

Ron

Pieces By Sum 41

(I like the whole songs lyrics but the chorus is my fave)

If you believe it's in my soul,
I'd say all the words that I know,
Just to see if it would show,
That I'm trying to let you know,
That I'm better off on my own.

On My Own - The Used

(Once again, the chorus...especially the bold part)

Without it all,
I'm choking on nothing,
It's clear in my head,
that I'm screaming for something,
Knowing nothing is better than knowing it all.

On my own (4x)

Tis a couple of my favorites, but I implement a lot of my emotion into the lyrics of a song. I even write my own songs. xP

Click me ^

Zovistograt

TMV songs are part of it for me...their cryptic and sometimes unsettling riddles really set it apart.

However, I rarely find something that I hate the music of but love the lyrics.

One exception: Nerdcore.  I hate rap, but that stuff is hilarious.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Mystic

"I mean look at rap... no lyrical value there at all..."
You're full of poop.

Really any song special to me has an awesome instrumentation to go with it...

Shujinco2

David Bowie's "Life on mars?"

A song with unmeaningful lyrics when set apart, but beautiful when put together.

Level_9_Chao

Before anyone says they blow, I've always really liked all of Fall Out Boy's lyrics, and they write those before the music so it really is based around the lyrics.

Streetlight Manifesto is equivalent in my eyes, and they have to cram the lyrics into whatever the music is, cuz their music comes first.

But yeah, I rarely listen to well-lyricized songs that aren't catchy.
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.

Metalbott

I really like Modest Mouse, but their lyrics definitely make them. Tool as well. Although I like the tunes, the lyrics make their songs.

Eizweir

I enjoy getting lost in the stories and adventures that Power Metal churns out.
I'm not talking about DragonForce >_>

But one thing we need to consider is not the Lyrics, but the emotion the song creates.  A combination of every pat of a song can create that perfect underlying emotion and send the true message of the song.  Some random Pop start can sing about breaking up and whatnot all he/she wants, without a single bit of caring and that makes the difference for me.  So what if the lyrics have words meaning sadness, but if the song doesn't sounf like it than it just doesn't cut it for me.
This is why I like Power Metal, so what if the words aren't about anything relevant, when you get that feeling of dedication and success the musicians are trying (or not, but it still happens) to send across, it just feels satisfying.

Now, when you get a band like Rise Against who takes Lyrics and emotion into one song, it's just amazing.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/xluxaeternax

formerly: Marth Xero, Xero, Roy Khan, Diego Armando, Lux Aeterna, and more I forget it was like 11 years ago jeeze

Fell

The lyrics in Stephen Long's song "Sincerely yours" are nice.

I can't find the lyrics written down anywhere though D:

TV song by Brownie Mary is a good one too. Same situation as Stephen long songs. D:

Spongebob does not approve

Red

Mind Games by John Lennon.

Anything by John Lennon really.

Ron

Quote from: Marth Xero on December 13, 2008, 04:30:55 PM
I enjoy getting lost in the stories and adventures that Power Metal churns out.
I'm not talking about DragonForce >_>

But one thing we need to consider is not the Lyrics, but the emotion the song creates.  A combination of every pat of a song can create that perfect underlying emotion and send the true message of the song.  Some random Pop start can sing about breaking up and whatnot all he/she wants, without a single bit of caring and that makes the difference for me.  So what if the lyrics have words meaning sadness, but if the song doesn't sounf like it than it just doesn't cut it for me.
This is why I like Power Metal, so what if the words aren't about anything relevant, when you get that feeling of dedication and success the musicians are trying (or not, but it still happens) to send across, it just feels satisfying.

Now, when you get a band like Rise Against who takes Lyrics and emotion into one song, it's just amazing.

I agree with that last statement.
take Hero of War for instance.

Click me ^