News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

$99 Console- OnLive

Started by Tupin, November 18, 2010, 09:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

A new generation of systems is being ushered in. One entirely online. OnLive is kind of like Steam, except all games are run from OnLive's servers, the box is merely a receiver. It also works on PCs and Macs, allowing underpowered PCs to play games that require a lot of power to run. All you need is a wired Internet connection, I think.

No monthly fees, just pay for the game. I think I might try it on the PC and get the console if it's good, heard it's slightly laggy. Here's an article about it:

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/192-onlive-99-game-system-the-future-of-console-gaming

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Neerb

1. No built-in wireless sucks for a console that only works when connected to the internet.
2. Any kind of event in which the internet is slower than normal or unavailable sucks for a console that only works when connected to the internet.

Granted, it has several advantages (such as being dirt-cheap), but my PS3 and Wii are fine as-is. I only see this being a good investment for new people who want to be gamers but don't already have a console, and that's a freaking small market. Maybe if OnLive 2 comes out at the same time as Xbox 720 and PS4 it could serve as a competitor, but we're pretty far in the current gen already for someone to offer up a new console that basically only plays 3rd party games.

Macawmoses

It'll be interesting to see what games come out with support for it. That will be a deciding factor for its usage.

BOREDFOREVER

Bordelands.  I see about 5 different versions of Borderlands available for purchase.

I want to see if this thing works out.  For me, personally, my internet connection sometimes breaks.  The idea of losing a lot of in game progress over something like that keeps me wary.

I really do want to see it succeed, though.

But what's up with the dvd-type controls on the bottom of the controller?

Zero

To be perfectly honest, I don't like the idea of streamed gaming nor do I like the idea of not actually owning the game. It'd feel like you're just paying for usage rights and that's something I can't support.

Tupin

Quote from: BOREDFANBOY on November 19, 2010, 05:59:29 AM
Bordelands.  I see about 5 different versions of Borderlands available for purchase.

I want to see if this thing works out.  For me, personally, my internet connection sometimes breaks.  The idea of losing a lot of in game progress over something like that keeps me wary.

I really do want to see it succeed, though.

But what's up with the dvd-type controls on the bottom of the controller?
The DVD-type controls are for playing media and for capturing Brag Clips, which are recordings of your game that show up on your account.

I've been playing OnLive, the only downside is that there's not many games.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.