News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Where's Mario headed next?

Started by Kayo, October 24, 2010, 06:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Riddler

Quote from: Cornwad on October 24, 2010, 08:33:12 PM
I don't really think of space as a gimmick. I think the whole planets thing was just a way of eliminating camera issues, and also added a cool style to the game. It's more of a change of scenery like Sunshine than a gimmick like FLUDD.
It was intercourse ing stupid. I hated the walking around planets crap. Jumping from planet to planet and using gravity was the gimmick.

SkyMyl

Quote from: It's ROBBIE! on October 24, 2010, 08:56:50 PM
It was intercourse ing stupid. I hated the walking around planets crap. Jumping from planet to planet and using gravity was the gimmick.
No, spinning was the gimmick of Galaxy. The gravity was only part of the change in the game's setting, and even then, the only real use of gravity was running around planetoids, which is probably what made Galaxy 1 so easy. (And Star Bits, don't forget that.) Meanwhile, spinning was used for a whole bunch of stuff, to the point of being more reliant to kill enemies than jumping on them, not to mention spinning to get to other planet(oids).

JrDude

Mario Universe? Are you serious?

Mario hasn't hit a dead end. Seriously, who thought of FLUDD? It was a new idea that brought a new type gameplay, with E. Gadd's existence, they can do even more weird stuff that people wouldn't have ever thought of.

Just a random idea out of my ass..... well I can't think of anything good but seriously, Mario can continue on, and Sunshine is the evidence. Even if you don't like the game, you cannot deny it's success, many many people loved the game, which makes it a success.

If Sunshine never existed, even it's biggest fans would laugh at the idea. "Cleaning up a city with a water shooter that's on Mario's back?"
[move][/move]
Dude .

shadowmarioguy

Quote from: It's ROBBIE! on October 24, 2010, 08:06:14 PM
inb4 faggots who don't appreciate Sunshine.

We just need another title like SM64/Sunshine, but without a gimmick. No space. No F.L.U.D.D.
Just Jumps. Double Jumps. Triple Jumps. Shell Riding. Yoshi. Punches. Kicks. Backflips. Running leaps. That kinda poop.
Exactly.

Galaxy 1-2 are good games, but my main problem with them is that they have way too many worlds, the majority of which aren't very memorable.  The next 3D Mario game should have a smaller number of worlds but add more detail and depth to them, like SM64 and Sunshine did.  SM64 is one of my favorite games of all time, and Sunshine, while not as good, still doesn't deserve all the bashing that it gets.

Back on topic, I think Super Mario Universe would be the same thing as Super Mario Galaxy.  Mario would do the same thing as before: travel across the universe and collect power stars from various different galaxies.  Besides, after two Galaxy games, I think Miyamoto will come up with something new.  For now, the closest thing we'll have to a new Mario adventure is Paper Mario 3DS (which, by the way, is currently my most anticipated game).

Kayo

Quote from: It's ROBBIE! on October 24, 2010, 08:56:50 PM
It wasn't ALL a gimmick, but I feel they really pushed the envelope in SMG2, and like overdid it. With the reversing gravity, those enemies that can only be jumped on a certain way, and oh: That one mission that puts you in a room divided into 9 chambers, each with its own gravity, that switches every few seconds. And you have a set amount of time to grab purple coins in there. Ughhhh.

I thought it was pretty cool in SMG1, even those times every now and then where you have two planets close enough you can jump between them. Was kind of weird, but I still thought the gravity aspect added a new twist to the game.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]