News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Super Smash Bros.

Started by The Riddler, June 11, 2013, 05:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neerb

Quote from: Qsmash on February 02, 2014, 12:30:33 PM
I'll never understand people that think Lucario and Mewtwo are so similar that one can replace the other. They're both floaty and have a charge move. Wow, Samus is replacing Mewtwo guys.

Being talking bipedal blue-ish mammalian Pokemon with mystic powers and Mega forms who gained popularity through movies could also be a factor, as is the fact that Sakurai said he never "cuts" characters, he just keeps adding until he can't any more, meaning Brawl's inclusion of Lucario and absence of Mewtwo LITERALLY meant Lucario pushed Mewtwo off the roster, even if it was indirectly. Sakurai thinks Lucario is a higher priority than Mewtwo, there can only be so many characters, and it's not like Zelda or Yoshi will get pushed out.

Heck, even look at their differences. It's magic vs science, new vs old, Fighting vs Psychic, a furry dog vs a hairless cat. It's like they're meant to be competing.

zephilicious

Quote from: Neerb on February 02, 2014, 11:14:15 AM
Lucario was time-specific filler. He is by far the least important playable character in the Smash Bros franchise.

still more relevant than jigglypuff or pichu

pokemon just doesnt have main characters
~~ <3

Zero

Project M has Mewtwo. Go play Mewtwo.

Neerb

Quote from: zephilicious on February 03, 2014, 01:26:31 PM

Now, sure, but at the release of 64 and Melee Jiggs and Pichu were more relevant, respectively, than Lucario was at Brawl's release.

Qsmash

Quote from: Neerb on February 03, 2014, 07:46:10 AM
Being talking bipedal blue-ish mammalian Pokemon with mystic powers and Mega forms who gained popularity through movies could also be a factor, as is the fact that Sakurai said he never "cuts" characters, he just keeps adding until he can't any more, meaning Brawl's inclusion of Lucario and absence of Mewtwo LITERALLY meant Lucario pushed Mewtwo off the roster, even if it was indirectly. Sakurai thinks Lucario is a higher priority than Mewtwo, there can only be so many characters, and it's not like Zelda or Yoshi will get pushed out.

Heck, even look at their differences. It's magic vs science, new vs old, Fighting vs Psychic, a furry dog vs a hairless cat. It's like they're meant to be competing.

I think you're reading too much into it. If I was in charge of the roster, I would put prioritize Lucario over Mewtwo too because he's a new character. Things might be different this time or not.

The Riddler

Quote from: zephilicious on February 03, 2014, 01:26:31 PM

pokemon just doesnt have main characters
Jigglypuff and Pichu both as a whole are more important to the Pokemon series, anime-wise anyway. Lucario had one movie and a minor importance in X/Y.

I don't mind him, just don't overstate his importance.

Qsmash

Quote from: The Riddler on February 03, 2014, 07:55:26 PM
Jigglypuff and Pichu both as a whole are more important to the Pokemon series, anime-wise anyway. Lucario had one movie and a minor importance in X/Y.

I don't mind him, just don't overstate his importance.

They really aren't anymore. Especially, not Pichu.

The Riddler

Quote from: Qsmash on February 03, 2014, 09:24:40 PM
They really aren't anymore. Especially, not Pichu.
The "anymore" part is irrelevant is my point. Pichu and Jigglypuff both played way larger roles than Lucario. To the series as a whole they're more important. They're not relevant anymore, but neither is Lucario and his role is minor.

Neerb

So Sakurai is putting way more emphasis on Lucario's aura powers this time in order to make him more unique, which is good (and perhaps why he added Lucario already). The aura power is a lot stronger when he's at high damage, and the fully charged full-aura Aura Sphere attack is colossal.

Additionally, Lucario's Extreme Speed is now aura-based, which is pretty cool. He shoots aura out of his hands to propel himself and guide his flight path Iron Man-style, which looks great in today's screenshot, and when you have higher aura power the move will actually let you fly farther.

Qsmash

Quote from: The Riddler on February 03, 2014, 09:54:30 PM
The "anymore" part is irrelevant is my point. Pichu and Jigglypuff both played way larger roles than Lucario. To the series as a whole they're more important. They're not relevant anymore, but neither is Lucario and his role is minor.

The statement was Lucario being more relevant than Pichu and Jigglypuff, not more important. I doubt the anime had any impact on Lucario's inclusion. Lucario is a fan favorite pokemon, which is why he is still being pushed. If he wasn't, then he would have slowly faded to obscurity like the way Zoroark is going now.

The Riddler

The Riddler

Matt

Oh look Little Mac, not surprised in the slightest.

Qsmash

Quote from: Matt on February 13, 2014, 04:39:55 PM
Oh look Little Mac, not surprised in the slightest.

FUCK YOU THIS IS THE BEST SHIT EVER

Matt

Quote from: Qsmash on February 13, 2014, 06:32:32 PM
FUCK YOU THIS IS THE BEST SHIT EVER

I'm glad he is going to be a playable character, just ya know, not surprised.