Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Super Smash Bros.

Started by The Riddler, June 11, 2013, 05:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom

Quote from: Neerb on June 19, 2013, 07:11:51 PM
Some interesting things:

- At the Pokemon X & Y roundtable last week, apparently someone asked if Mewtwo would be in Smash 4; the Pokemon guys basically had "no comment," but Sakurai, who was in the audience, yelled out "we're thinking about it"
- In a separate instance, Sakurai mentioned, in regards to returning characters, that they don't have time to "recreate every character who has appeared in Smash." He said they don't specifically want to cut anyone, but instead are just putting as many characters in as they can before time/resources come out.

While that second point is basically just stating a fact about development, it is interesting that he said specifically that not all old characters can come back. While this could obviously refer to Pichu, Dr. Mario, and the like, it's also not helping people's fears of certain characters not coming back. For example, there's an idea going around that Chrom from FE: Awakening will replace Ike, and Sakurai's attitude toward 3rd parties may imply that Snake and Sonic don't make it back.

intercourse  yes replace ike
but god pleae don't replace marth

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Zero

Quote from: Neerb on June 19, 2013, 07:34:13 PM
I don't think they're rushing it per se.

Sakurai said a while back he wasn't going to be as concerned with roster size this time around and focus on simply tightening what the series already has; for example, they're removing tripping, and he said he would have a bigger team focused on balancing, as opposed to Brawl where he basically did it himself.

Also, I feel like Namco Bandai helping out Sora Ltd. is making things go WAY faster and smoother; I definitely don't think it would look as good graphic-wise without them.

Also also, everyone loved the last rushed Smash and people (internet trolls and tourneyfags) whined about the one they took their time with. Just an observation.

I think they are. What we saw was an early beta build of the game(there were choppy frames, messy textures, and some characters look awful compared to others) and we're looking at a 2014 release date. Sakurai is working himself to death yet again on this game just to make that release window. That's signs of rushing man.

And yeah, you have a point with that last one. I'm not a tourney-goer anymore, but Melee is still my favorite Smash game and Brawl is my least favorite. Melee was rushed. Brawl wasn't, it was even delayed. I remember them saying they weren't concerned with roster size for Brawl either, didn't they say the exact same thing?

Even so, I'd rather them spend some more time on the game. This may be the last Smash Bros. Sakurai works on. You never know with that guy. One interview he says he would like to move on from the series and the next he says he can't stop playing and loves Smash Bros. like its his son. Whataguy.

Neerb

Quote from: Zero on June 20, 2013, 08:16:09 AM
And yeah, you have a point with that last one. I'm not a tourney-goer anymore, but Melee is still my favorite Smash game and Brawl is my least favorite. Melee was rushed. Brawl wasn't, it was even delayed.

Apparently this is now actually relevant, as Sakurai just came out and said Melee's competitiveness was an accident due to rushing it, while Brawl's chaos (tripping, more focus on stage hazards, etc.) is the kind of fighting he prefers for the series, as he thinks stripping it down to skill is boring (his exact comparison was a 50-meter dash).

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: zephilicious on June 17, 2013, 05:39:26 AM
but thats not true at all. wolf is absolutely unnecessary, dead series' dont need 3 characters. ike, lucario, and lucas were relevant at the time but completely arbitrary now. pokemon trainer never fit next to the other pokemon characters, and we have more than enough 1st gen pokemon reps.

oh and sonic and snake were terrible 3rd party choices. i guess the remaining 28 are a pretty good start, but there are tons of big gaps. Wii fit trainer and villager are great choices to fill two of those.
Okay I'm going to reply to this in pieces and I won't do it long because nobody here gives a poop but here I go

-Still better than Melee's roster, and not just because it has more characters. I could easily go on about Melee's roster but let's not go there.

-I was more saying with Mewtwo how the unlockable requirements are ridiculous. Excuse me for not phrasing my post well (Though there was a character that I remembered that had more stupid) "Play 20 combined hours of VS. matches. This is divided among the players; one player requires twenty total hours, two players require ten total hours, three players require six hours and forty minutes, and four players require five hours." which sometimes didn't even work properly, or maybe that was just my copy

to top that off the amount of versus matches required were just insane towards the end. 1.1k versus matches to get the entire melee roster; i barely have that many on my brawl file, and i almost have an 100% file of everything

-wolf is fine let's not talk about my secondary; plus he's more important than falco or krystal, and who cares? poop like darkstalkers gets three characters in mvc3. Frankly I'd want all the supporting characters left, but I'd prefer new series over that.

-not really. ike's still had two games (And two descendants in Awakening. Zing.), Lucas is still the most popular mother protag and has more going for him, and Lucario is fine to rep his gen, especially since to date he's still one of the most popular poke's

-i'll agree with you on PT. I know you didn't think i was going to, but i'll mostly give you that. I think he's unique but that uniqueness could easily be given to another character. honestly I'd rather see it in paper mario

-snake and sonic were? What the hell do you suggest then? Rayman and Chocobo or black mage? (while I would like those more...) Sonic was the most requested character and Snake fits fine for Konami (I'd go with Simon Belmont but he fits too, especially since he started on a Nintendo Console)

also as an aside, there's a problem when it comes to fire emblem and pokemon: they always switch out what poop's popular, what poop's in, and keep having new protagonists. this is why not all the games or gens can get repped really, so while i guess overrepping 1st gen is a problem, having some stability in Fire Emblem isn't. if it was ike/marth/chrom or robin i think it'd work for FE, especially since (this is not just considering the forbidden 7 but other things we know about brawl's development) FE was possibly going to get three characters on a smaller scale

people actually surprisingly like the brawl roster. asides from "mewtwo/isaac" is missing, I don't hear many complaints. The only two clones that are full clones are Toon Link and Ganondorf. Other then that, it's a mostly good roster. Not the best but hey, close.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: Custom on June 19, 2013, 10:50:52 PM
intercourse  yes replace ike
but god pleae don't replace marth
what the intercourse  why replace an original character

you people
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Neerb

Thirdkoopa

I saw you on Smashboards because I just joined Smashboards and I freaked out because I remembered you from here.

Custom

Quote from: Thirdkoopa on June 20, 2013, 01:29:04 PM
what the intercourse  why replace an original character

you people

ike sucks dick join the tourney scene loser

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: Neerb on June 20, 2013, 04:15:43 PM
Thirdkoopa

I saw you on Smashboards because I just joined Smashboards and I freaked out because I remembered you from here.
I'm awesome over there

It's awesome when I say something and I get 25 likes
Quote from: Custom on June 20, 2013, 06:09:20 PM
ike sucks dick join the tourney scene loser
they can be made better in the next game

and i am you intercourse , custom. do you even tourney?

Custom

Quote from: Thirdkoopa on June 20, 2013, 06:32:35 PM
I'm awesome over there

It's awesome when I say something and I get 25 likesthey can be made better in the next game

and i am you intercourse , custom. do you even tourney?

obviously you're not if you want to keep ike around

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: Custom on June 20, 2013, 06:33:25 PM
obviously you're not if you want to keep ike around
custom even pro's at smashboards like ike; low tier tournaments and doubles.

they don't want to see the face of the U.S. FE's get cut for petty reasoning

The Riddler

While it was a known joke and was done before SSB4 was in development, this is interesting.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/07/02/professor-layton-joins-smash-bros

Layton's official twitter tweeted in 2009 that he received an "invitation" to the "grand smash tournament" (like villager did) and that he had to fight a "blue robot boy" (mega man), a possessed doll (geno), and a tiny boxer (little mac).

With Mega Man confirmed, Little Mac rumored and the way he was "invited", while it was obviously a joke then it's just really interesting now,

Sirwaddy

I think Layton and Geno would be good additions to the cast for the 3DS/WiiU titles.

The Riddler

layton would make no sense whatsointercourse ingever lol

geno would be amazing but square has a rod in their dickhole =[

zephilicious

Quote from: The Riddler on June 21, 2013, 09:32:10 AM
layton would make no sense whatsointercourse ingever lol

geno would be amazing but square has a rod in their dickhole =[

you got that backwards bro
~~ <3

The Riddler

what would layton do

they even joked about it using his twitter that he wouldn't want to do it