News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Hey Kids, Who Likes the 3DS?

Started by Flying Chickens, March 17, 2012, 12:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Chickens

So yeah, I only have OoT 3D for the 3DS, and was wondering what 3DS games I should be looking into getting. Whether already released, or coming out in the near or distant future. I haven't been paying any attention to video game news for the past three or four years, so even if you think it's obvious that it's coming out and should be bought, tell me what it is.
Cool, thanks.
Oh, and no debating about whether it should be suggested or not.

Neerb

Mario Kart 7 is a must have, to be frank. There's a Mario Kart every Nintendo console, and everyone should have it when they get the next console. Comparing it to previous incarnations, it's one of the best, imo; you can actually customize your kart, the level selection of both new and classic courses is pretty good, and the online is nice from what little I've played. The only thing bad is the character selection, which cuts out staples like Waluigi, Toadette, and Diddy Kong for the abominations of Honey Queen, Metal Mario, and Wiggler.

Kid Icarus Uprising is coming out this Friday, and it'll probably be near MK7 in the "must-have multiplayer" of 3DS. It's gotten good reviews so far from the likes of Edge and Famitsu, the single-player campaign is supposed to be huge (for an action shooter), its multiplayer is supposed to play as if Smash Bros. was a shooter with good online (which makes it sound far more interesting than most shooters), and if Nintendo's ridiculous marketing campaign is half as effective as they want it to be, there will be plenty of people online to play with. It also seems like the best voice acting Nintendo's had so far, with characters unlike their usual silent or exposition-filled protagonists and damsels in distress, but that might not be something you really care about.

Super Mario 3D Land... is great. I don't know; I have it, and it's a great Mario platformer, taking the interesting route of linear 2D-style levels in a 3D Mario title. However, I suppose I'm not THAT big of a Mario fan, personally; suffice to say if you like Mario platformers already, you'll like this one, but it won't convert you if you weren't a fan of Galaxy 2 or NSMB Wii.

Crush3d seems particularly interesting; I played the downloadable demo, and it was pretty awesome, as you try to solve puzzles by literally switching the environment between 3D and 2D. With very creative platforming puzzles and a decent bit of humor, it could be the Portal of 3DS (except, you know, without the ludicrous publicity and internet popularity, since it's not from Valve's golden hands).

Mario Tennis 3D (it has an official title, but I can't recall it now) comes out either April or May, and I'm sure it will be fun to get back into that after the Wii of all things skipped out on the opportunity. The controls are far more detailed now, as you can use traditional buttons or the touch screen for a surprisingly large variety of hits, rather than the standard "to lob, or not to lob."

Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario 3DS, and a new Fire Emblem also come out this year, so there's more to look forward to, but we don't have as much info yet; we don't even know for sure if FE will come to America, though I'm almost 100% sure it will.

Then there are the downloadable titles; I'm pretty iffy when it comes to downloading titles, so I haven't actually played any on the 3DS besides the free stuff, but made-for-3DS titles like Dillon's Rolling Western and Pushmo have been getting great review after review, with a new "must download" title coming out almost every month (pretty impressive for Nintendo of all things), so those might be worth checking out.

Hero_of_Darkness

Present:
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Star Fox 64 3D
Resident Evil: Revelations
Pushmo
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
VVVVVVV (or whatever)
Tale of the Abyss
Rolling Western
VC titles (GB, GBC, and Game Gear so far)
More that I'm too lazy to name

This year (probably):
Kid Icarus: Uprising (coming this week)
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Luigi's Mansion 2
Mario Tennis Open (which is coming very soon)
2D Mario
Fire Emblem
Animal Crossing
Paper Mario
Other stuff that I can't remember

I'm too lazy to check a release list right now.

EDIT: Here's a better list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457188

DededeCloneChris

If you want a good Strategy/RPG game, get Devil Survivor Overclocked. Full voice acting is a good plus in it, too.

Kayo

My 3DS must-buy list:

Ocarina of Time 3D (out)
Super Mario 3D Land (out)
Mario Kart 7 (out)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (6 days!)
Luigi's Mansion 2
Paper Mario 3DS (or whatever they call it)
Pokemon R/S remakes: Not even announced yet, but it's extremely likely that we'll get them. And I'm hoping that they'll be on 3DS.

On the eShop, make sure you prioritize VVVVVV and Pushmo.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 17, 2012, 04:43:55 PM
My 3DS must-buy list:

Ocarina of Time 3D (out)
Super Mario 3D Land (out)
Mario Kart 7 (out)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (6 days!)
Luigi's Mansion 2
Paper Mario 3DS (or whatever they call it)
Pokemon R/S remakes: Not even announced yet, but it's extremely likely that we'll get them. And I'm hoping that they'll be on 3DS.

On the eShop, make sure you prioritize VVVVVV and Pushmo.
That's assuming that B2/W2 don't take place in Hoenn.

Mona

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 18, 2012, 05:56:28 AM

I really can't see that happening.

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 18, 2012, 05:56:28 AM
Oh no, they absolutely won't.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Mona on March 18, 2012, 03:14:29 PM
I really can't see that happening.
Quote from: Pennington on March 18, 2012, 04:16:38 PM
Oh no, they absolutely won't.
Why not? We know that N went to a different region, and there are a lot of Hoenn hints in BW. RSE takes place eight years before BW, so a remake to match those hints doesn't make a ton of sense.

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 18, 2012, 04:21:01 PM
Why not? We know that N went to a different region, and there are a lot of Hoenn hints in BW. RSE takes place eight years before BW, so a remake to match those hints doesn't make a ton of sense.
They're probably just going to reuse Unova (Remember, B2/W2 is like Crystal/Emerald/Platinum, just split into 2 games) and then make a NEW game for R/S (more money!). And then, I wouldn't be surprised if N makes an appearance in R/S, maybe after the E4.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 19, 2012, 12:27:10 PM
They're probably just going to reuse Unova (Remember, B2/W2 is like Crystal/Emerald/Platinum, just split into 2 games) and then make a NEW game for R/S (more money!). And then, I wouldn't be surprised if N makes an appearance in R/S, maybe after the E4.
Serebii confirmed that they're new games. I posted that in the B2W2 thread. They're sequels. Personally, I think that airport in Unova might actually get put to use...

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 19, 2012, 12:54:24 PM
Serebii confirmed that they're new games. I posted that in the B2W2 thread. They're sequels. Personally, I think that airport in Unova might actually get put to use...
I still think they'll go for 2x the money and reuse Unova (as they always reuse the regions a second time immediately after the initial duo, which is why I brought up Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum), and make a separate pair of games for R/S. And Kyogre/Groudon will be the cover Pokemon.

The Kyurem forms come from how Reshiram and Zekrom were said to have been one Pokemon originally (in-game legend). THEORY TIME: They were originally one Pokemon, then they split into two, leaving Kyurem behind (Reshy and Zekrom are yin and yang; Kyurem is the absence of both, essentially saying that the former two have left it). The new Kyurem forms represent it splitting: still being Kyurem, but becoming a new Pokemon (Reshiram or Zekrom).

^THAT's gonna be the story with B2/W2; it makes sense that they'd make the two games with this theory in mind. One game follows Kyurem splitting and becoming Reshiram, one shows it splitting into Zekrom. Since it's splitting into two parts, there are two games. They're not just gonna take this story and push it onto Hoenn; they're gonna make a new pair of games using the awesome Land and Sea story.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 19, 2012, 01:03:14 PM
I still think they'll go for 2x the money and reuse Unova (as they always reuse the regions a second time immediately after the initial duo, which is why I brought up Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum), and make a separate pair of games for R/S. And Kyogre/Groudon will be the cover Pokemon.

The Kyurem forms come from how Reshiram and Zekrom were said to have been one Pokemon originally (in-game legend). THEORY TIME: They were originally one Pokemon, then they split into two, leaving Kyurem behind (Reshy and Zekrom are yin and yang; Kyurem is the absence of both, essentially saying that the former two have left it). The new Kyurem forms represent it splitting: still being Kyurem, but becoming a new Pokemon (Reshiram or Zekrom).

^THAT's gonna be the story with B2/W2; it makes sense that they'd make the two games with this theory in mind. One game follows Kyurem splitting and becoming Reshiram, one shows it splitting into Zekrom. Since it's splitting into two parts, there are two games. They're not just gonna take this story and push it onto Hoenn; they're gonna make a new pair of games using the awesome Land and Sea story.
I can't figure out how to word the flaws in your argument, so I'll just say that I disagree, N's next appearance won't be some stupid cameo, and we'll see soon.

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 19, 2012, 01:18:27 PM
I can't figure out how to word the flaws in your argument, so I'll just say that I disagree, N's next appearance won't be some stupid cameo, and we'll see soon.
He won't play a major role in R/S, if that's what you're saying. I have no clue where the intercourse  you're pulling that from.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 19, 2012, 04:48:59 PM
He won't play a major role in R/S, if that's what you're saying. I have no clue where the intercourse  you're pulling that from.
I'm saying that I think he'll play a major role in B2W2, and if those are sequels there needs to be another region for that to be true.