News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

Oh the joys of BSOD

Started by Zero, October 28, 2011, 11:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Alright so maybe PsychoYoshi or one of you other tech savvy guys can help me out here.

My desktop is a custom built T-Series with:

Windows 7 64 bit
680W power supply
AMD Radeon HD 6850
Phenom II Quad Core processor black edition
8GB RAM
1TB Hitachi HDD
Direct X11

Alright so basically I installed League of Legends, played for about a week, and next thing I know I'm waking up to a BSOD.

I get the error 0xc000000e.

"Windows failed to start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2. Choose your language settings, and then click next 3. Click "repair your computer. Status: 0xc000000e Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible."

I insert the installation disc and press the restart button but it just loads through two bars of data and then freezes. That last sentence leads me to believe that the HDD can't be accessed but that doesn't make any sense considering I can load up the BIOS and change the boot priority to either it or the disc inserted.

I can't run into Safe Mode, or anything really.

I also ran RAM tests. It was fine. A friend of mine says I was ripped off on my power supply and that I should try getting a new one, but I've never had a problem with this computer until recently.

Thanks

So_So_Man

Sounds like something is wrong with your HDD.  Since it can be seen by BIOS, its getting power, so the power supply probably isn't the issue.  Also, I checked a power supply calculator (newegg's, assuming most powerful when in doubt), and your power supply should be good for what you have and then some.  So yeah, I figure its probably something horribly wrong with the hard drive, probably something important to windows got corrupted or something like that.

PsychoYoshi

Probably going to go with what SSM said; pretty sure that POST doesn't throw errors for HDDs, only the (really) core components like the CPU and mobo.

This is also a really sucky time to buy hard drives, as well. Western Digital's main production plant in Thailand flooded, so there is going to be a massive undersupply of HDDs for the next couple months. Demand will be higher than supply, so prices are going to be be exhorbitant.

There is a small chance that it's a windows intercourse up and something got corrupted, but I'd probably bet on the hard drive simply being a lemon. Oh yeah, if you do decide to get a new drive, Seagate=Western Digital=Samsung>Hitachi>>>>>>No-name brands. I have been fortunate to have this one for about 3 years, but I've heard many horror stories about them. This is not to say that Seagates and WDs are infallible, but they do tend to be better on the average.

Zero

alright so basically i need to get a new HDD and install windows on it. balls.

well ain't that a ninny

thanks guys

Zero

also question

for my rig what is the absolute lowest power supply i should get?

would 500W work?

PsychoYoshi

With a 6850, 8 gigs of RAM, and a Phenom? Yes, probably, but you'd really be pushing it, and PSUs degrade about 15-20% of their maximum wattage over 5 years. Undervolting does bad, bad things to PC components.

Zero

that information makes me want to run out and grab an 800W

PsychoYoshi

Quote from: Nightmare Zero on October 31, 2011, 11:00:26 AM
that information makes me want to run out and grab an 800W

800's a bit high; 600 should be fine. Advantage of getting something like an 800w is that it'll provide you with some elbow room for a meatier graphics card or SLI/Crossfire.

Zero

what i hate about graphics cards is that you buy one when it is top of the line and a few months later its outdated as all hell

my 6850 is a brick of awesome

but yes PY, thank you so much for the advice.

Silverhawk79

Here's what you do.
Download this: http://www.mediafire.com/?8lvn77ya2ey9y59
Burn it to a CD, make sure it's a boot CD. Run it. Chances are, it'll detect and fix some bad sectors, hopefully enough to get your Windows install back up.
BACK UP EVERYTHING. The 'restored' HDD will run for a bit, but will likely crash again later. Back up what you want/need now.

Source: i had this happen with my laptop, poop sucked

Zero

sweet silver, though I hope its not too much trouble if I ask for some clarification.

if the HDD crashes again, then what is the point of this fix? Is it just so I can back my poop up?

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Nightmare Zero on November 01, 2011, 11:59:18 AM
sweet silver, though I hope its not too much trouble if I ask for some clarification.

if the HDD crashes again, then what is the point of this fix? Is it just so I can back my poop up?
Basically just to get it running enough to back your stuff up. After I ran it the first time, my hard drive lasted another year or so.

Zero

finally got around to trying this out silver, but when I download the file it disappears from my downloads folder, and searching for it leads me nowhere.

So its a virus. Wut.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Nightmare Zero on November 05, 2011, 01:15:04 PM
finally got around to trying this out silver, but when I download the file it disappears from my downloads folder, and searching for it leads me nowhere.

So its a virus. Wut.
Wat.

Zero

Quote from: Spookyhawk79 on November 07, 2011, 10:18:26 PM
Wat.

I download it
it vanishes from my downloads folder
MSE flares up saying i have a trojan
searches for the program yield nothing
wtf brah