News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

NSFCD Pokedex - Starter/Legendary Discussion

Started by The Riddler, April 08, 2011, 09:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Riddler

Let's see if we can build an NSFCD Region Pokedex, with all original Pokemon.
We need ideas for originals, evos/prevos to old Pokemon, artists and maybe pixel-artists to make sprites.
This has the potential to be badass.

We all need to agree on Pokemon before they make it into the 'dex.

First order of business: Let's decide on the starters. What animals should they be? What typing should they be? What should their defining features be?

NSFCD Region Dex:
001: Grass
002: Grass/???
003: Grass/Fighting
004: Fire Peachick
005: Fire/??? Peacock
006: Fire/Psychic Peacock
007: Water Frog
008: Water/???
009: Water/Dark

0??: Electric Gerbil/Hamster
0??: Electric Gerbil/Hamster Evolution (Thunder Stone)

1??: Grass Demeter Horse
1??: Fire Hades  Horse
1??: Water Poseidon Horse (Hippocamp)
1??: Flying Zeus Horse (Pegasus)

1??: Steel/Flying SilverHawk
1??: ???/??? Mackthing

1??: Cute Secret Legendary

The Riddler

I say
Triceratops for Grass.
Frilled Lizard for Fire.
Platypus for Water.

Kayo

I had the idea of a Grass-type monkey starter (tree climbing and yeah) way back when but Chimchar and Pansage destroyed my dreams.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

FruitFlow

Nice thread.
Hopefully I'll come up with something decent.
"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

JrDude

Final Evo types for starters.
Grass/Flying
Fire/FightingIce
Water/Poison

For your ideas, it could be that except Grass/Rock (Because dinosaurs are USUALLY associated with rock in this game)

My idea for the Fire/Ice is blue fire eventually being in it.
And if memory serves correctly, Platypuses have poisonous something, but even if they don't, we don't really need logic.
[spoiler=CHAT STUFF]http://irc.chatspike.net/webchat/
#nsfdex[/spoiler]
[move][/move]
Dude .

The Riddler

Quote from: JrDude 益 on April 09, 2011, 02:36:09 AM
Final Evo types for starters.
Grass/Flying
Fire/FightingIce
Water/Poison

For your ideas, it could be that except Grass/Rock (Because dinosaurs are USUALLY associated with rock in this game)

My idea for the Fire/Ice is blue fire eventually being in it.
And if memory serves correctly, Platypuses have poisonous something, but even if they don't, we don't really need logic.
Platypuses have poisonous claws, so I like it. Tentacool/Cruel and Qwilfish have that typing but I don't mind it.
Fire/Ice seems weird for a starter. That should probably be saved for another Pokemon.
Grass/Rock would work, but then it feels like that should be saved for a Fossil.

My starter ideas aren't necessarily the ones we'll use either. This is a community project. :D

Water/Poison Platypus for Water line, y/n?

Nayrman

Grass:
Stage 1 is a green, ground yellow fox with a long leafy tail. It's second stage will be grow bigger and all the leaves on it's long tail will become buds. It also gets a bit more furry all around. It also gains dark type, as it's description will say it lives in dark forests and doesn't like to go near cities and such. Stage 3 will be a full grown fox or wolf type creature, with flowers on it's long tail, a long mane along it's back and black eyes.

Fire:
Stage 1 is a small, rounded orange/yellow bird. It has short feathers save for it's two very long feathers at the tip of it's tail. It is second type with flying. Stage two it gets bigger, it's neck gets longer and it's body becomes more mature as it's wings grow. Two feathers at the tip of it's tail become five feathers. It's final stage it is very tall, fire red in color and has a large group of tail feathers spreading out every which way, also now sporting a large, impressive feather headress on it's head. It resembles a mix of peacock and phoenix.

Water:
Stage one is a small, light blue snake. It is fairly small, but long and slender. It'll wisp it's tongue out every now and again, and is pure water type to begin with. Stage 2 it will gain the poison type, and two small fangs will sprout out of it's mouth. Purple lines will dart down it's back as it becomes a pure blue color, and grows large. Stage 3 the fangs will grow very large and dangerous looking, as it's skin becomes dark blue and the purple stripes wave all around it's body. It will also gain an impressive cobra-like side around the top half of it's body (think Arbok I guess), in a similar dark blue color.

The theme for mine were forest beings. I figured this would be good. Any thoughts? I couldn't really think of names or anything.

The Riddler

Quote from: Nayrman on April 09, 2011, 10:30:50 AM
Grass:
Stage 1 is a green, ground yellow fox with a long leafy tail. It's second stage will be grow bigger and all the leaves on it's long tail will become buds. It also gets a bit more furry all around. It also gains dark type, as it's description will say it lives in dark forests and doesn't like to go near cities and such. Stage 3 will be a full grown fox or wolf type creature, with flowers on it's long tail, a long mane along it's back and black eyes.

Fire:
Stage 1 is a small, rounded orange/yellow bird. It has short feathers save for it's two very long feathers at the tip of it's tail. It is second type with flying. Stage two it gets bigger, it's neck gets longer and it's body becomes more mature as it's wings grow. Two feathers at the tip of it's tail become five feathers. It's final stage it is very tall, fire red in color and has a large group of tail feathers spreading out every which way, also now sporting a large, impressive feather headress on it's head. It resembles a mix of peacock and phoenix.

Water:
Stage one is a small, light blue snake. It is fairly small, but long and slender. It'll wisp it's tongue out every now and again, and is pure water type to begin with. Stage 2 it will gain the poison type, and two small fangs will sprout out of it's mouth. Purple lines will dart down it's back as it becomes a pure blue color, and grows large. Stage 3 the fangs will grow very large and dangerous looking, as it's skin becomes dark blue and the purple stripes wave all around it's body. It will also gain an impressive cobra-like side around the top half of it's body (think Arbok I guess), in a similar dark blue color.

The theme for mine were forest beings. I figured this would be good. Any thoughts? I couldn't really think of names or anything.
For grass, I wouldn't mind it, but for Fire, that'd be Fire/Flying (Charizard), and water would be a Snake (Snivy). Let's try for something different. :P

I had a theory about starters that's pretty much flopped out by now but this is how it went.
Fire Starters: All have fire spewing out of their body somewhere at every stage. Torchic and Tepig's lines went and intercourse ed that up.
Water starters: Are marshland creatures. Turtle, Croc, Mudfish... Piplup and Oshawott intercourse ed this up.
Grass starters: Reptilian or Amphibian. Normally I say Trecko intercourse ed this up because I went more Reptilian, but meh. This is the only proper starter line.

I'd like to keep the grass pokemon a reptile or amphibian if possible.
But this is a group project so let's discuss :P

Nayrman

Uh... snivy doesn't look like a snake at all until it's final stage, and even then it doesn't look like a snake I've ever seen or heard of.
Oh, and Charizard is Fire/Flying...so? We've had three fire fighting even though two of those don't make any sense whatsoever.

The Riddler

Quote from: Nayrman on April 09, 2011, 11:51:31 AM
Uh... snivy doesn't look like a snake at all until it's final stage, and even then it doesn't look like a snake I've ever seen or heard of.
Oh, and Charizard is Fire/Flying...so? We've had three fire fighting even though two of those don't make any sense whatsoever.
The three Fire/Fighting is intercourse ing annnoooyyyiiiinnnngggg.

And Snivy is a snake, there's really no argument there.

Let's try for unique.

So_So_Man

Water Starters
fish---->landwhale----->whale
type-wise this would be
water---->water/ground------>water
(maybe the final form is a narwhal so water/ice?)

Fire starters
bird---->less birdy bird---->raptor 
fire/flying----->fire/flying----->fire(/normal?)

(my other idea was a fire/poison komodo dragon, but I wasn't sure how the prevos would work out)

grass starters
stegosaurus without plates/spikes---->stegosaurus without spikes---->stegosaurus
grass---->grass(rock?)---->grass(rock?fighting?)

FruitFlow

Quote from: So_So_Man on April 09, 2011, 12:04:21 PM
Can we please come up with typings that have not been overused or are unique?
"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

The Riddler

Quote from: So_So_Man on April 09, 2011, 12:04:21 PM
Water Starters
fish---->landwhale----->whale
type-wise this would be
water---->water/ground------>water

Fire starters
bird---->less birdy bird---->raptor 
fire/flying----->fire/flying----->fire(/normal?)

(my other idea was a fire/poison komodo dragon, but I wasn't sure how the prevos would work out)

grass starters
stegosaurus without plates/spikes---->stegosaurus without spikes---->stegosaurus
grass---->grass(rock?)---->grass(rock?fighting?)
I don't think I like losing typings in starters...
And Stage 1 starters should be pure type imo... Bulbasaur was a weird exception.

Nayrman

I'm adamant about keeping my fire bird the same. The only fire flying starter is Charizard, and he's not a "bird". Torchic became fighting for some reason. So it's still unique in my book.

Ok, instead of a snake, how about a frog? Same water, then water poison (which isn't all that common. Just Tentacool/Cruel and Qwilfish iirc)
Stage 1: a light blue, small frog with a long tongue. Stage 2: Gains poison type, grows bigger and has become neutral blue with purple spots on it. It's eyes become bigger and has the "croak bubble" on it's neck now. Stage 3: Grows to it's biggest size, it's hind legs become purple and has dark purple stripes where the poison comes out. The rest of it is a very dark blue.

How's that?

Kayo

For he Fire/Ice idea, I agree that's too odd for a starter. Let's try to avoid what happened in Gen IV, where Infernape had type advantages against BOTH of the other starters, while Empoleon was weak to BOTH the other two. And if Empoleon had Ice Beam, it could take down Torterra easy.
Basically:
Torterra's STAB moves are supereffective on Infernape and Empoleon
Infernape's STAB moves are supereffective on Torterra and Empoleon
Torterra is weak to Infernape and Empoleon with Ice Beam (Well, EVERY water can use Ice Beam, so ignore this.)
Infernape is weak to Torterra and Empoleon, when discounting its high Speed and attacking stats
Empoleon is weak to Torterra and Infernape, again taking only typing into effect.

Yeah 4th gen was a little weird all over here. I realize this probably won't be put into a game, but this is just a suggestion if we want true balance. I'd stay away from putting opposite types together (No Fire/Grass or Grass/Water type starter please) or including another "elemental" type (Electric and Ice come to mind) or making it so one starter doesn't have an advantage against both the other two.

Also no bird fire-starter. Blaziken was more human than birdlike, but Torchic was more bird. I say we go for different animals/whatever.

I can offer my ideas later.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]