Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

We're now 10Crow

Started by Macawmoses, April 03, 2011, 12:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Quote from: Cecil Harvey on April 05, 2011, 05:55:48 PM
>Shoddy Battle

ololol like anyone uses that anymore. Get with the times.
Ahahahaha, last time I used that, Gen IV was the brand-new thing.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Spud

What about Pokemon Online? Can't be that intensive.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Chocobo Knight on April 07, 2011, 02:09:17 AM
What about Pokemon Online? Can't be that intensive.
It looks like it's not really compatible with CentOS, which is what our server runs.

Silverhawk79

Remember the ill-fated NSFCD radio? We could attempt to bring that back...

buttlord420

Quote from: Silvercrow79 on April 07, 2011, 11:59:56 AM
Remember the ill-fated NSFCD radio? We could attempt to bring that back...
Now if only you could find people to listen to it.

FruitFlow

The old server passed away.
"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

Genius

...Seriously, now?

I know I'm a little late on this, but c'mon, seriously?

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Genius on May 04, 2011, 05:43:52 PM
...Seriously, now?

I know I'm a little late on this, but c'mon, seriously?
Something wrong with it?

Genius

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on May 04, 2011, 11:11:59 PM
Something wrong with it?

Quote from: Macawmoses on April 03, 2011, 12:23:35 AM
So yes, NSFCD is now part of a business.

2. Integraton: One key strategy we have toyed with forever is creating a network of sites.

SHH MOM taking off

we're in the position to offer such a network.

-Our own chat network (?): haven't decided on this one yet, but we see it as a step towards increasing our own technical proficiency.

growth

Yeah, I think that about covers it.

Silverhawk79

This isn't an immediate process.

Genius

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on May 05, 2011, 10:03:57 AM
This isn't an immediate process.

Doesn't matter.  It still reeks of inexperience and that classic post-Nsider "let's make a forum and pretend it's successful because it has a handful of active members" mindset.  Just on a larger scale.

Seeing that Shh Mom site and your apparent belief that it has some level of success kind of says enough right there.  It's nothing more than "just another gaming site" that has absolutely nothing to offer that you can't get at a hundred others.  The obligatory forum likely doesn't have more than a member or two that didn't come from here (which is another staple of that earlier mindset; a bunch of forums having the same memberbase and yet somehow believing that they all have the same level of success), and contrary to what you probably believe, the writing has zero personality.  Not to mention how obvious it is that you guys are struggling to find anything to write about at all.

The reason I specifically pointed out the word growth as something wrong with the post earlier is because I see absolutely no growth here whatsoever.  I don't see any change in the way you guys are thinking now from how you did when this site was created.  It's the same thing on a larger scale.  It doesn't matter how big you try and make it; a flawed concept is gonna fail no matter how you try and pull it off.  Look at this place for example.  This community is not self-sustaining.  Never has been.  It's reliant on an existing group of members, and without that, it has nothing at all.  The same goes for basically every other abomination spawned by wannabe web developers after Nsider died.

You know which one got the closest?  Nsider 2.  Do you know why?  As surprising as this may seem to you, EJRaven was the reason for the small degree of success the place had for a while.  EJ was a moron, no doubt about that.  However, there is one thing you need to understand when it comes to making sites like these.  If you're trying to make a successful site when there's already a sea of similar sites out there, your only hope for achieving that success is by trading away your dignity.  A large sum of money might do the trick too, but that's cheating.  EJ was good at what he did because he didn't give a crap about dignity.  He was a simple businessman who would sell himself out for whatever might make him more money.  He never cared about being a respected site administrator.  Sadly, that's exactly what you need if you want to turn web communities into a business.  You have to be knowledgeable on what dignity-crushing methods will bring people to your site, and you have to be focused enough on the idea of a website as a simple tool to be able to pull those off.

All I see here is a couple kids repeating the exact same thing I've seen a thousand times over since Nsider closed.  Nsider truly was a curse.  I don't know what they did to drill this way of thinking so deeply into so many heads, but it's truly amazing to know that some people haven't learned after this long.

Dang, you sound betrayed or something.
...̅̅̅

Friendly Hostile

Genius just hates the fact that the rest of the world isn't as cynical as he is.

Kayo

I'm sure every single person here knows we're just an insignificantly tiny group of people left older from NSider. Everyone already knows what's so "ordinary" about NSFCD. That's why the staff seems to be trying their hardest to change that. What you said was true, Genius, but you're not seeing the big picture here.

No one's able to tell whether this mission will end in success or not, but at least we're trying. Every network has to start somewhere. If ours is a few small gaming sites, so be it. We're doing it on our own, and we're doing just fine. Why was Nsider2 successful? It was a carbon copy of the original NSider. We realize we're different than them. We're a much smaller but much more unique group of people. We can start from our small userbase and build up. What we really need to do is branch out and make ourselves KNOWN. Obviously not too many outsiders will visit all the sites on our network if we only advertise them.... within the network. That's precisely why we end up with the same few users on all of them, for the most part. There are more people exclusive to only one or two sites here, but yeah, a lot of members just go to all of them.

That's where the problem lies... everything is domestic. Once the staff decides to make our insignificant corner of the internet noticeable, it will blossom into a successful network. That won't happen immediately. It won't happen in a week, nor a month, nor even an entire year. You can't go through life expecting success to be handed to you; you have to take baby steps at first until you're comfortable with leaps of faith. These are our baby steps. If we end up without any negative side effects from this advance (we haven't yet) then we will be ready to move forward at a faster rate.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Genius

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on May 05, 2011, 01:11:56 PM
Genius just hates the fact that the rest of the world isn't as cynical as he is.

No, no.  I'm not cynical.  I'm cynical and right.  There's a difference.

Quote from: Kayo on May 05, 2011, 01:17:24 PM
Everyone already knows what's so "ordinary" about NSFCD. That's why the staff seems to be trying their hardest to change that.

What exactly are they doing to change that at all?

No one's able to tell whether this mission will end in success or not

Sure, in the same way you could say that nobody can say for sure that you'll die from jumping off a plane without a parachute.

Every network has to start somewhere. If ours is a few small gaming sites, so be it.

You seem to have missed the part where small gaming sites aren't gonna start a thing, since there are fifty thousand others out there that people already don't care about. 

Why was Nsider2 successful? It was a carbon copy of the original NSider.

Wrong.  As I stated, Nsider2 was "successful" (I use the term loosely) because it was run by someone who treats websites as a business venture.

We're a much smaller but much more unique group of people. We can start from our small userbase and build up.

Because that's certainly gone so well up until now.  Brought in all kinds of new people, right?  Just tell them how unique you guys are.  That's sure to bring them flooding in.

What we really need to do is branch out and make ourselves KNOWN. Obviously not too many outsiders will visit all the sites on our network if we only advertise them.... within the network. That's precisely why we end up with the same few users on all of them, for the most part. There are more people exclusive to only one or two sites here, but yeah, a lot of members just go to all of them.

You don't seem to understand.  Everyone in the world could know about this site.  Doesn't mean that they give a crap about it.  Do you honestly believe that just being known is good enough?  You missed my entire point.  Someone might visit the site, but what's really there to make them come back again?  Let's use that Shh Mom site as an example.  I wouldn't mind seeing a count of the number of unique visitors for the past few months.  It's likely low, but I'd imagine that even the people that did stumble upon it somehow probably just saw some subpar gaming blog and never gave it another look.  As for this site....well, I think it goes without saying that nobody's gonna see the place and sign up just because they thought it looked cool. 

That's where the problem lies... everything is domestic. Once the staff decides to make our insignificant corner of the internet noticeable, it will blossom into a successful network.

So insignificant things suddenly become significant once somebody notices them?  Sorry, your insignificant little corner of the internet doesn't mean a thing to anyone, whether they see it or not.  There's absolutely nothing that's gonna pull people in.  Contrary to what you may believe, people won't magically believe that your site is better than the thousands of other sites for the same thing.  If you can't offer something that the competition can't, don't even.  All those "small gaming sites" you see as a start to this glorious network are worthless if they can't offer users something they can't get elsewhere.  And sorry, your "unique" community doesn't cut it.  If you want a site like that to be successful, you'd better at least have media connections, or else all you're doing is just parroting back what you heard on bigger, more important gaming sites.

That won't happen immediately. It won't happen in a week, nor a month, nor even an entire year. You can't go through life expecting success to be handed to you; you have to take baby steps at first until you're comfortable with leaps of faith. These are our baby steps. If we end up without any negative side effects from this advance (we haven't yet) then we will be ready to move forward at a faster rate.

So you think that if you try a failed strategy for long enough, it'll eventually be successful?  Well, feel free to waste away your life trying the same thing until it eventually works.  That sure sounds like waiting for success to be handed to you to me.