News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

We're now 10Crow

Started by Macawmoses, April 03, 2011, 12:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

Not "we" as in all of you. "We" as in Silver and I. We have had the opportunity to work with one another, but as a check of sorts, making a "business" is the best way to ensure that one doesn't pull a "Snorkel" on the other.

So yes, NSFCD is now part of a business. That business, as it stands, is 10Crow Media (10crow.com). What does that mean for you, the average user of NSFCD? Not a whole lot in particular. Once we finalize the design of the website, you'll be able to read, in detail, what we have planned. Including fancy use of legalese!

For now, though, here's a short list of what to expect...

1. Better Server: You're on it, folks. Because we're increasing the amount of sites on our server, we needed to increase the horsepower of what we have. That means NSFCD comes along for the ride. Enjoy it.

2. Integraton: One key strategy we have toyed with forever is creating a network of sites. We've never had the chops to follow through with that fully. Until now. With SHH MOM taking off, Area 6 set to emerge right away, a friendship with 8th-Circuit, and more sites on the horizon, we're in the position to offer such a network. This will mean access to features for a larger audience including...

-Game servers...TF2, StarCraft, Shoddy/Pokemon Online, Minecraft, etc. all possible. We'll decide on this in the near future.

-Our own chat network (?): haven't decided on this one yet, but we see it as a step towards increasing our own technical proficiency. We'll see where that goes, though.

-More contests: Our expectations are to be the proud owners and/or hosts of 10 sites in the next calendar year. Bigger audience, more contests. These will be spread across the sites.

3. Updated Policy: As it stands, our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy, etc. are a little dated. These will be updated in the coming week. Protip: You can't continue using any of our sites if you don't agree to the terms!

Again, much of this is likely irrelevant to you. You'll see a wonderful little Crow image at the bottom of every page on our sites. You'll see us refer to the sites as a whole as 10Crow Media. And you'll be able to check the status blog here.

But to us, this is a big deal. Silver and I have been working together for more than three years now. We have had ups and downs here on NSFCD, but we are a family. While 10Crow is an extension of our work together, it really reflects the growth and change of attitude we've seen on this forum.

We couldn't be doing it without you. And we're extremely grateful for your support -- past, present, and future. Hopefully we'll see you on the other sites, too. For now, though, let me be the first to say:

Welcome to 10Crow Media.

The Seventh

Ah, that explains Silver's name change.  I like this idea-a whole network of sites, on a powerful server, with checks and balances to keep another "Snorkel" from happening.

Nice job, Mack and Silver!
meh

SkyMyl

If people want an explanation of the name:

[spoiler]Network
krowteN
krowten
crowten
tencrow
10Crow[/spoiler]

Silverhawk79

Quote from: SkyMyl on April 03, 2011, 12:16:14 PM

[spoiler]Network
krowteN
krowten
crowten
tencrow
10Crow[/spoiler]
It's ingeniously simple.
Plus, crows are pretty kickass.
Oh and by the way, we're using our old server for one or two (low-resource intensive) games. Starcraft likely, but what other(s)?

DededeCloneChris

Funny, I thought a company turned Silver into their property with the username change.

Kayo

Wow, that's bigger than I expected!

Excellent job, you too. I just... can't believe it *sniff*

Out little NSF is growing up.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Will you go public? Will we get free shares? And good luck to you guys on your endeavors.
...̅̅̅

The Seventh

Quote from: SkyMyl on April 03, 2011, 12:16:14 PM

[spoiler]Network
krowteN
krowten
crowten
tencrow
10Crow[/spoiler]
That is ingeniously simple.

Also as for the other game TF2.  DO IT.
meh

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Alisaihin on April 04, 2011, 07:36:29 AM
That is ingeniously simple.

Also as for the other game TF2.  DO IT.
Our old server can't even begin to run TF2, unless you want a server that can hold maybe 8 people.

The Seventh

Quote from: Silvercrow79 on April 04, 2011, 11:41:51 AM
Our old server can't even begin to run TF2, unless you want a server that can hold maybe 8 people.
Oh...I see.  That's...not good.

*begins to think again*
meh

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Alisaihin on April 04, 2011, 03:21:56 PM
Oh...I see.  That's...not good.

*begins to think again*
Some stats:
20GB space
512MB RAM (wimpy wimpy wimpy!)
Unlimited bandwidth
1000MHz worth of processing power

New server stats:
40GB space
1024MB RAM
4000MHz worth of processing power
800GB bandwidth

Doesn't look like Minecraft will be possible on the old server. :(

The Seventh

Quote from: Silvercrow79 on April 05, 2011, 09:22:45 AM
Some stats:
20GB space
512MB RAM (wimpy wimpy wimpy!)
Unlimited bandwidth
1000MHz worth of processing power

New server stats:
40GB space
1024MB RAM
4000MHz worth of processing power
800GB bandwidth

Doesn't look like Minecraft will be possible on the old server. :(
...only 512 MB ram?  The unlimited bandwidth is nice, and the processing power isn't terribad...

That RAM though...could prove very limiting.
meh

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Alisaihin on April 05, 2011, 03:08:06 PM
...only 512 MB ram?  The unlimited bandwidth is nice, and the processing power isn't terribad...

That RAM though...could prove very limiting.
Yeah. Shoddy Battle server?

The Riddler

Quote from: Silvercrow79 on April 05, 2011, 04:59:17 PM
Yeah. Shoddy Battle server?
>Shoddy Battle

ololol like anyone uses that anymore. Get with the times.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Cecil Harvey on April 05, 2011, 05:55:48 PM
>Shoddy Battle

ololol like anyone uses that anymore. Get with the times.
I don't know what else to use it for. :(