News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Pokémon names no longer in ALL CAPS?

Started by Kayo, February 08, 2011, 06:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Lately we've been starting to see gameplay screen shots and like from the American version of Pokémon Black & White. As some of you may or may not have noticed, our Pokémon's names aren't in entirely caps. See this image for instance. This has been taken from the official website.

I left this out of the Official Discussion thread because well, I have several questions for you all on the matter.

-Do you think the names will stay out of all caps to the game's release? Or is it only going to be this way in the pre-release USA pictures?
-What if you transfer a Pokémon from DPPtHGSS with an all-caps name? Do you think it will stay all-caps or transition to the new tense?
-How do you feel about this?

To answer these myself:
-First of all, I'm not sure. It could stay in the regular lowercase when the game comes out. Or it could go back to caps by then. I have no idea.
-I'd like to say that, as long as it has its original name (not a nickname) it will revert to lowercase. However, I do remember seeing a screenshot from a Japanese copy of the game in which a Charizard, a Venusaur, and a Blastoise have been transferred from an American DS game and were used in a triple battle. Their names apeared as CHARIZARD, VENUSAUR, and BLASTOISE. Maybe it's just because it was that way on the Japanese games and will be changed to lowercase for the American release? Maybe because it was a cross-region trade, if that's the right way to say it? Maybe the shot wasn't real? (I doubt it, but I don't remember where I saw it, so you never know.)
-If the caps names to revert to lowercase when traded from DPPtHGSS, I'm okay with this. Yeah, it's a break from the norm: I've been used to the allcaps forever. In fact, I always nicknamed in all caps on the rare occasion I wanted to give a nickname. ALL CAPS ALWAYS. The lowercase names seem to fit better in dialogue ("Congratulations! Your Foongus evolved into Amoonguss!" rather than "Your FOONGUS evolved into AMOONGUSS," "The wild CATERPIE used String Shot!" etc.), and the attack names went to lowercase in Gen IV, why not Pokémon names? MY COMPLAINT. The letters look kind of odd above the health bar, as always. Those p's and g's and any other letter that, whatever you call it, goes... uh.. down always ended up looking weird there.

In the end, actually, I'm kind of ehh about it. I probably won't be used to it in-battle, but it'll be easier to get used to out of battle.

Anyway, your thoughts?

EDIT: There were totally just 25 guests viewing this thread all at once. Like, 5 minutes after I made it.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Shujinco2

Inb4 he renamed it cause he doesn't like all-caps pokemon names.

Zero

Why is this a significant enough topic to make a thread about it? You're talking about pokemon names being in caps, you realize this right?

Silverhawk79

I always thought the all caps was amusing to think about.
Someone's talking normally, THEN SUDDENLY THEY SHOUT POKEMON NAMES and go back to normal voice.

Magnum

I rename my Pokemon without the caps, so I don't care.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Magnum on February 08, 2011, 12:19:14 PM
And the "Magikarp" comes out. D:

Kayo

Quote from: Zero on February 08, 2011, 10:07:17 AM
Why is this a significant enough topic to make a thread about it? You're talking about pokemon names being in caps, you realize this right?

It struck me as interesting, and like I said, I wanted input on the questions I asked. Also, Pokemon and attack names were always capitalized (WEEDLE used STRING SHOT!), until they subtly removed the caps on the attack names in Gen IV. I've always really payed attention to the fact that the names were always capitalized (What's happening? GROUDON is awakening!) and, like I said, I wanna know if they really are doing that and how it will effect cross-gen trading

tl;dr even if it doesn't interest you it might interest other people.

Quote from: Magnum on February 08, 2011, 12:19:14 PM
I would have done that if I didn't like how ugly the lowercase writing looks in the HP/status box.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Kayo

Also:
Quote from: bulbapediaIn the international versions, Pokémon names are no longer displayed in all capital letters, following the trend set in Generation IV of no longer displaying the names of characters, items and locations in all capital letters.

Bulbapedia has said something on this. Still doesn't explain whether cross-gen transfers will change the names or not. Not that it matters much, but I'd rather have one or the other - instead of half my pokemon having all caps and half being normal.
[move][/move]

Custom

Quote from: Zero on February 08, 2011, 10:07:17 AM

It's a very important topic.
I don't care because I give them cool nicknames.

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Kayo

Quote from: Black Mage on February 09, 2011, 08:45:32 PM
It's a very important topic.
I don't care because I give them cool nicknames.
But do you nickname them in caps or not?
When I nickname in Sapphire/Emerald I use caps.
[move][/move]

bluaki

Quote from: Kayo on February 08, 2011, 06:06:58 AM
However, I do remember seeing a screenshot from a Japanese copy of the game in which a Charizard, a Venusaur, and a Blastoise have been transferred from an American DS game and were used in a triple battle. Their names apeared as CHARIZARD, VENUSAUR, and BLASTOISE. Maybe it's just because it was that way on the Japanese games and will be changed to lowercase for the American release? Maybe because it was a cross-region trade, if that's the right way to say it? Maybe the shot wasn't real? (I doubt it, but I don't remember where I saw it, so you never know.)
I can verify this. The lead of my party in Japanese Black, imported from Gen4, is still BLAZIKEN. And a few other Pokemon I've transferred as well.

I think they'll likely try fixing the name capitalization of un-named English Pokemon imported from an English Gen4 game, but the ones like I currently have who are caught in an English Gen4 game, traded to a Japanese Gen4 game, then imported to a Japanese Gen5 game will likely remain allcaps even if traded later to an English Gen5 game. Sound complicated? That's why; I doubt they want to cater same-gen traded names to such an obscure transfer method. Likewise, if you happen to have a German or French Pokemon on your English Gen4 game for any reason, their names may also not convert properly to lowercase until they evolve.
I feel that nicknames are very unlikely to automatically convert. Regenerating the name is one thing, but doing string operations is another entirely which game developers are more hesitant to do. But it's still just a guess at this point.

If the development team bothered to go through the effort of converting names to lowercase for trailers, it's very unlikely that they'll revert it before release. Not only are they probably already manufacturing games now, but the code changes to the game are moderately significant and not something that would just be done temporarily.

Kayo

Didn't expect nicknames to be changed at all. I think the all caps might have to do with that fact that it's different game regions. I'm doubting more and more that they'll go to lowercase even if transferred to an english B/W. I'll just have to deal with having a Chandelure but then a STARMIE.

I could always nickname some of my pokemon to lowercase before I transfer, but some of them come from Gen 3 games or games I no longer have access to, whether I erased the file or what. Not a big deal anyway. I might rebreed some of my carefully IV-and-eggmove bred pokemon in Gen V if they get more egg moves or something. But some of them like my lovely shiny STARMIE will be in forever caps.

Then again, I like allcaps better. Maybe I'll nickname my Gen V pokemon in capitals.
[move][/move]

Level_9_Chao

I personally don't care, since I nickname the dudes on my team anyway.

Still, I guess it loses a bit of nostalgia... *Red version Manual* THE BROCK wants to fight!
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.

bluaki

I suppose another note is related and important to make: will the keyboard automatically switch from uppercase to lowercase after typing the first letter? Only those who care about proper capitalization (i.e. not any of the countless 10-year-olds playing the games) will think to shift down before typing the rest of their player name or Pokemon nicknames. And then it'll look even more out of place when nothing else is allcaps.