News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Tolerance and Racism.

Started by Allegretto, June 12, 2010, 10:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrona

..I thought everyone here were friends.....it was a lot nicer the last time I was here...

Everyone should stop arguing..

tibar21

Quote from: Cornwad on June 19, 2010, 10:42:56 AM
Also you've got to keep in mind that America is a huge country, the biggest population wise after China and India. You're going to have a lot of really poor people by default, and compared to India and China I'd say we're doing pretty darn well. Things that work for smaller countries like Canada don't work in a place as large as the US of A.
I agree. The US is the best place to live in because it does a pretty good job protecting its citizens and their rights.
The main thing that comes to my mind that other countries beat the US at is education. I prefer it that way though. Last I checked, Chinese kids go to school almost every day, i assume thats mostly why their economy is as good as it is. I'm glad that the US doesn't resort to that, because thats just a poopty life.
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

Jayat

yeah right, here my SSN 1234-23-2334 james kingly i fell so protected

Click here to level up my card!

Wii 8713-9036-0212-2272

Mikoyan

Quote from: Nik on June 19, 2010, 03:35:25 PM
I agree. The US is the best place to live in because it does a pretty good job protecting its citizens and their rights.
The main thing that comes to my mind that other countries beat the US at is education. I prefer it that way though. Last I checked, Chinese kids go to school almost every day, i assume thats mostly why their economy is as good as it is. I'm glad that the US doesn't resort to that, because thats just a poopty life.
The Chinese economy is growing because more first-world nations are investing in it, and many companies (like Foxconn) usually sacrifice the welfare of the workers in order to sustain increased production and profits. Education may be a part of it, but China's catering to Western materialism tops the chart.

Also, we don't have a bad education system because others go to school all the time. Last time I checked, British, French, German, and Canadian kids all had the summer off. There's faults on both sides of the spectrum. Especially in California, incompetent teachers continually get protection from unions, and getting rid of a tenured teacher is always time consuming and difficult ($100,000 in court fees alone). And don't even get me started about what's happening in Texas.

A somewhat common perception of teenagers (I am trying my best not to generalize) is that what they receive in life is what they get, thus limiting their desire to learn and become "smart." On that note, I get the assumption based on the 2008 election that the public has a slight distaste for intelligence (Palin as the common man woman and Obama as a silver spoon Harvard grad).

In terms of education, let's face it - teachers are essentially trained to spoon-feed us information and test our comprehension of it. For example, in Japan, students in a math class were asked to devise ways to obtain the area of a triangle. The teacher judged all of their techniques, analyzed them, and gave them the correct way and told them why. In the US, the teacher would simply tell them ".5bh" and be done with it all, not allowing students to express creativity and try to do something new.

Cornwad

I distinctly remember reading an essay by a Japanese person about why the Japanese school system is horrific and is practically broken to what people have in other places, but I forget the details. I do agree about China being only good for whoring itself out to other countries though.

Chrona

Quote from: Cornwad on June 20, 2010, 01:14:53 PM
I distinctly remember reading an essay by a Japanese person about why the Japanese school system is horrific and is practically broken to what people have in other places, but I forget the details. I do agree about China being only good for whoring itself out to other countries though.
..The schools in Japan are fine...

PsychoYoshi

Quote from: Jayat on June 19, 2010, 10:04:15 AM
Wrong again Japan is in a better state then we are.Why? Because they are more economically involved and there still having sex.If japan didn't have so many people they would be the richest contry in the world and I checked Japanese stocks all the time

...hahahahaha. Wow, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you? Let the guy with the degree in modern Japanese history tell you how the situation actually is.

Japan's been in a recession since the mid 1990s, started to pull out in the mid 2000s, and then immediately fell back in again after the US economy tanked. Stocks are hardly the only indicator of the economy. For a prime example, just look at the US right now, where the Dow is generally beginning to recover while unemployment is as high as it has ever been outside of the Great Depression. Japan's birth rate is among the lowest in the industrialized world, and its population is projected to decline in the next century.

Quote from: Cornwad on June 20, 2010, 01:14:53 PM

Better in some ways, worse in others. Japanese junior highs and high schools are segregated based on how academically gifted students are. There are certain schools that you want to get into and others that you don't, because ultimately getting into a good undergrad program in Japan is immensely competitive, and the teachers and administrators at the "good" junior highs/high schools are the best at preparing students for college entrance exams and schmoozing with college officials. It's a good system for the brilliant kids who can breeze through everything with no effort, a good one for the dumber ones because their high schools usually aren't incredibly rigorous, and a hellish one for the "sharp-but-not-brilliant" kids who can get As, but need to spend ridiculous amounts of time at cram schools to ensure they'll do well on the entrance exams, which make our SATs/ACTs look like complete jokes.

Japanese students tend to perform very well at math and science because they're courses that are conducive to rote memorization, which is a favorite at Japanese schools. The nice thing about the American system is that there are often plenty of electives, and administrators tend to be more lenient about the way teachers educate students. The Japanese system is very rigid, and there aren't many opportunities for electives or alternative learning methods. Students are expected to adapt to the system, not the other way around. Japanese students also get comparatively little exposure to history or other humanities because of the massive amount of time required for learning kanji and the complexities of Japanese language.

All of this is primarily because big companies recruit kids immediately once they graduate college, and they often work there for the rest of their lives. Very, very few Japanese people complete master's degrees, even fewer do PhDs.

RX-78-2

Quote from: JrDude φ on June 17, 2010, 09:28:29 PM
So, for dating, I prefer every race over the black race? That sounds racist to me...
Oh, and I'd date a black chick several hundred times before I dated a fat chick.

And to that question you asked, no I do not.

And to your small letters, you actually don't, you just have a lot lately.
I didn't say it; you did. In fact, judging by the ending punctuation of your sentence, you asked it. In any case, whether or not you're admitting to "prefer[ring] every race over the black race" in the case of dating doesn't determine whether or not you're racist. It's dating--not prejudiced treatment. You answered "no" to my question, so therefore, you're not racist.

Also, I do quote you a lot if I've been doing it lately. Although I don't use them often, it was a rhetorical question.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

ThePowerOfOne

I am the most tolerant person ever. I don't care if you are gay, lesbian, tranny, bi, black, white, hispanic, asian, whatever. I have never been any different to a person because of their sexual orientation, race, or sex. Really, I think that's how everyone should be, I don't know why there would be anyone who isn't.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Phaze on June 23, 2010, 02:37:44 PM
I am the most tolerant person ever. I don't care if you are gay, lesbian, tranny, bi, black, white, hispanic, asian, whatever. I have never been any different to a person because of their sexual orientation, race, or sex. Really, I think that's how everyone should be, I don't know why there would be anyone who isn't.
This. For the most part, I think racists, sexists, etc. are just brainwashed/compelled to be that way by others, similar to what Hitler and the Nazis did to recruit people. The first racists of a group or whatever probably just use the "inferiors" as a scapegoat or something.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

arachnid

Quote from: Lelouch on June 12, 2010, 10:19:54 PM
So, how tolerant are you?

And are you racist about anything? Pretty basic topic

I am very racist, I go off of my personal experiences since experience is the best teacher.

And I am tolerant about very little things.

Here is something you would never expect me to sat lelouch.... Fuck you..... (hand held to ear to see if I can hear your reaction through my computer)
l   l              l   l                                       l    l            l    l
                                                              \   i             i   /
                                                               \\ \          /  //
                                                                \\  \ [  ] /  //
                                                                   \\[{ }]//
                                                               //--{[[ ]]}--\\
                                                             //  //  [{}] \\  \\
                                                            //  // {{[]}} \\  \\
                                                           //  // ({[[0]]}) \\ \\
                                                           ii   ll (({{0}}))  ll  ii
                                                           ii   ll  \({{}})/  ll  ii
                                                            l   l    \({})/     l   l
                                                                      \---/

Zero

Quote from: arachnid on June 30, 2010, 08:18:45 AM
Here is something you would never expect me to sat lelouch.... Fuck you..... (hand held to ear to see if I can hear your reaction through my computer)

He left

Regardless, why the intercourse  would type out what is in bold?