News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Rights to the Radio in the Car

Started by Java, April 30, 2010, 07:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Java

Some people can't handle when they're wrong.

My friend and I got in a fight because she immediately wanted control of the radio in my car.
Everyone knows that it's an unspoken rule that the driver has complete control of the radio unless granted to the passenger.

Well, instead of asking me for control of the radio, she just up and changed it.
I got upset because if she had just asked me, I would have consented to her changing the radio, but, she didn't. It's a matter of respect for me.

So, I went on Facebook and found the Official Rules of Calling Shotgun and posted one rule on her Wall, just to show her that it's an unspoken rule and she went apepoop. She just can't handle being wrong...

My post on her Wall:
11. Once the journey has begun, the driver is the obvious controller of the tunes. However if they feel the road requires their full attention, or they simply cannot be arsed any more, duty is passed to the shotgunner. However putting on crap tunes or allowing for silence when the iPod finishes a song or ANY instances of TAKE THAT will result in demotion to b**ch seat.

See [Insert Friend Tagging Here], I was RIGHT!

Our conversation:
[Friend] WHO GIVES A DOG'S SHIT!?!?!?!!?!?!??!!??!!?!?!?!?!!!!
16 minutes ago

[Friend] Just go away. >_> please.
15 minutes ago

[Me] You don't just violate the Rules of Calling Shotgun. That's disgraceful.
15 minutes ago ·

[Friend] ...-sigh- FINE! I WON'T RIDE W YOU ANYMORE! I just called shotgun 'cause you SWORE you were this "AMAZING" driver. I would've happily gone w someone else, but noooo I WENT W YOU FOR YOUR SAKE!
14 minutes ago

[Me] 1. I am. I'm careful, but I'm not timid. My only problem is parking.

2. My sake? I would have had someone else come with me. You're the one who wanted to go in my truck because you wanted to see how I drove.
11 minutes ago ·

[Friend] 1. Not going to debate that.

2. Yes, for your sake of wanting to "prove to me that you were a great driver." Ugh! WHY ARE WE STILL DISCUSSING THIS! I WON'T GO NEAR YOUR CAR ANYMORE! OHK?? Are you happy w this decision BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS ANYMORE! I NEVER DID! ...
8 minutes ago

[Me] Yes.
7 minutes ago ·

[Friend] Fucking fantastic.
6 minutes ago

[Random Other Friend] lmfao!!
2 minutes ago

[Friend] I'm still not laughing. Don't see anything funny about it.
about a minute ago

What do you all think of this situation?

Macawmoses

I think you made a bigger deal out of it then necessary.

That said, I can't stand listening to something I don't like while driving. I'll shut the radio/whatever off before I listen to stuff that doesn't jive with me. It just messes with my focus.

Java

Quote from: Sherlock on May 01, 2010, 12:24:33 AM
I think you made a bigger deal out of it then necessary.
I'll agree that I did.

I just couldn't stand it at the time.
Every time someone rides Shotgun with me, I offer to let them to control the radio.
I would have been completely fine if she had just asked me first.
I don't know, it just really bothered me...

I also feel that she doesn't have any reason to be upset and completely overreacted as well.

Shujinco2

You both overreacted horribly.

/thread

Java

Quote from: Supertramp on May 01, 2010, 09:21:21 AM

/thread
Now I'm wondering if there was some underlying cause as to why I got so upset.
People who know me know that I rarely get so upset at something so trivial.
I just can't figure it out myself.

Dog Food

Quote from: Supertramp on May 01, 2010, 09:21:21 AM
This.

And as Sigmund Freud would say, there's probably some sort of underlining, sexual reason for both of your actions. Maybe you two have the hots for each other's parents?

QuoteEveryone knows that it's an unspoken rule that the driver has complete control of the radio unless granted to the passenger.
Also, I did not know this. I always thought it was the owner of the car, whether they are driving it or not doesn't matter.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Java

Quote from: KJ on May 01, 2010, 11:19:30 AM
Also, I did not know this. I always thought it was the owner of the car, whether they are driving it or not doesn't matter.
Err... Yes. That's what I meant, but I worded it wrong.
I just went by the assumption that the driver would be the owner of the car.

ThePowerOfOne

...Really? Really?

You made that big a deal out of the radio? And why didn't tell her that was rude to do when you were in the car? Instead of waiting until you got home to post some stupid thing like that on her Wall? I'd be a little mad too if I were her for bringing something so stupid up in public instead of just telling her in private (Like WHEN IT HAPPENED) you thought it was rude.

You both overreacted. She should have asked first (Only if it was already playing, if it was off, then who cares), and you shouldn't have posted that on her Wall, or really have even cared as much as you did about it. Either way, you were both ninnyes about it.

Java

Quote from: Phaze on May 01, 2010, 01:43:55 PM
You both overreacted. She should have asked first (Only if it was already playing, if it was off, then who cares), and you shouldn't have posted that on her Wall, or really have even cared as much as you did about it. Either way, you were both ninnyes about it.
1. I posted it as a joke. At that point, I was ready to joke around about it, but obviously it was taken the wrong way.

2. Unfortunately, it's just how I am that I wait until later to talk about it and don't actually talk about it when the situation is unfolding.

ThePowerOfOne

Quote from: Java on May 01, 2010, 02:12:05 PM
1. I posted it as a joke. At that point, I was ready to joke around about it, but obviously it was taken the wrong way.

2. Unfortunately, it's just how I am that I wait until later to talk about it and don't actually talk about it when the situation is unfolding.
Then it's your fault for not standing up for yourself when it happened. She overreacted, but at least I can understand why she would be upset.

Java

Quote from: Phaze on May 01, 2010, 02:49:39 PM
Then it's your fault for not standing up for yourself when it happened. She overreacted, but at least I can understand why she would be upset.
Care to enlighten me, because honestly, I still don't get why she would be upset?

BOREDFOREVER

She got upset because she didn't think you were joking, but went out of you're way to prove you were right and were being a prick. 

Radio control goes to the owner of the vehicle.  Front seat passenger is automatically given priveledge if radio is off.  If radio is on, passenger should ask before changing, then assume control of radio.

If car is jointly owned, no one has first refusal, and the radio choices should be jointly discussed.

I don't think you overreacted per se.  When you offer someone a ride, you expect them to respect your vehicle, and that includes things like not intercourse ing with your radio.  The inside of a car is often a personal space.