News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Your Career Path

Started by Dog Food, March 09, 2010, 09:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoYoshi

Currently a double major in Biology and History. Biology is a remnant of my formerly trying to go pre-med, but I didn't feel like dropping it after I abandoned that particular career choice, because I already had 7/10 classes that I needed for a full major.

I'm currently planning on going for a PhD in Japanese history so that I can teach at the college level. Next year, I'll either be in Japan improving my language skills, or going for a M.A., which is the next step towards the PhD. 2 years for the M.A. and another 3-7 for the PhD. Still quite a bit of schooling ahead of me, not to mention writing. My 50-80 page Master's thesis and 75-200 page dissertation will laugh in the face of your cute 5-pagers.

For you kids still in high school, it's great to have a plan going into college, but keep your options open. You may almost certainly will find that subjects are quite different when you move up to college-level. If you're a science major, take a few humanities courses and vice-versa. Not only will they force you to think outside of your comfort zone, employers and grad schools like seeing well-rounded individuals.

Lotos

Quote from: Dark Link on March 10, 2010, 04:05:52 PM
My 50-80 page Master's thesis and 75-200 page dissertation will laugh in the face of your cute 5-pagers.

Shit.  And this has to be in Japanese?

Nayrman

Quote from: Mynamewastoolongsoitgotchanged on March 12, 2010, 05:24:13 PM
Probably not, as thesis and dissertations usually revolve around some kind of research, although I don't know what goes into those for a history major.

Me, going to make movies, specifically animation. Only thing I have interest in doing. Going to get back to writing in the summer, just too busy right now and have other more important things to focus on for the semester, so meh.
Working on editing skillz at my job at my university's cable network, which will be good experience (my boss worked at ABC for 10 years in news broadcasting, so I'll learn how to film some good stuff by the time I'm done here at Georgia Tech).
Hopefully once I'm done with my four years here (and get out, and it is ONLY called "Getting out" here at Tech), I want to go to USC and learn how to really make movies. Maybe get my masters there and head out into the industry and struggle for the average of 12 years to make it in this sort of business. (although I certainly don't want to wait that long by the time I join. I'd be near 36 or 37 by then)

PsychoYoshi

Quote from: Mynamewastoolongsoitgotchanged on March 12, 2010, 05:24:13 PM

The papers themselves don't have to be in Japanese, but you need to need to have enough proficiency to translate historical documents out of Japanese by yourself so that you can use them as evidence.

Mikoyan

I'm going to work as an engineer in the weapons industry and probably get picked up by (God help me) DARPA. I want to work primarily with unmanned platforms and defense systems, seeing as 4th generation warfare has the US in a twist.

Nayrman

Quote from: Mikoyan on March 12, 2010, 08:34:40 PM
I'm going to work as an engineer in the weapons industry and probably get picked up by (God help me) DARPA. I want to work primarily with unmanned platforms and defense systems, seeing as 4th generation warfare has the US in a twist.

My Robots and society professor has done many a project for DARPA, come on now. He's been working in the field for over 35 years so apparently DARPA isn't THAT bad.
BTW, he works specifically in the things you're interested in... lol.

PsychoYoshi

Quote from: Mikoyan on March 12, 2010, 08:34:40 PM

Why so depressed? You're working for the government. You have almost perfect job security, get a great retirement pension, and a pretty good salary paid for by the feds taxing the poop out of the middle class. Nothing to worry about.

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: Dark Link on March 12, 2010, 10:40:17 PM
Why so depressed? You're working for the government. You have almost perfect job security, get a great retirement pension, and a pretty good salary paid for by the feds taxing the poop out of the middle class. Nothing to worry about.
You forgot about the part will you give up your soul.  Especially considering he'll be working in the weapons industry.  That's kind of a must for that.  Knowing everyday you'll be engineering the deaths of thousands.