News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Overworld Pokemon sprites

Started by bluaki, April 17, 2009, 07:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your opinion on them

They should make overworld sprites for ALL pokemon, and at that also allow them all in Amity Park or perhaps even an option to follow you through the game like Pikachu in Yellow
10 (58.8%)
I think they probably should make the sprite for all available Pokemon. They'd use it on something, but I don't really want anything like Pikachu in Yellow.
2 (11.8%)
I think they should have more Pokemon overworld sprites, but definitely not have a Pikachu sort of thing for all of the 493 Pokemon. Maybe only for smaller pokemon that would fit in a 1x1 square.
1 (5.9%)
I think it's good as is, that only a few Pokemon have overworld sprites in the game and all the Pokemon that do are allowed in Amity Park.
3 (17.6%)
I don't think non-legendary Pokemon should have overworld sprites in the game at all.
0 (0%)
Other (post)
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

bluaki

June Edit: Over a month after I made this thread, HeartGold and SoulSilver were confirmed to make the first Pokemon in your party follow you. It supports all 493 Pokemon. Whether or not shinies and gender differences are featured in the overworld sprites is unknown.

These sprites are used when you see a trainer in the game's overworld that has a Pokemon out and following them, in Amity Park, and to represent most legendary Pokemon when approaching them (except most legendary ones don't have a walking animation and also Snorlax and Drifloon are included).

I think that all Pokemon should have an overworld sprite and that you should be given an option to make most Pokemon follow you like Yellow's Pikachu, but Pokemon with an overworld sprite larger than 1x1 should not have the Pikachu-ish option. Of course as an optional thing, not that I want it to be forced to have a Pokemon following you in the map. So third option of the poll.

Diamond and Pearl have all non-legendary overworld sprites used in Amity Park: Pikachu, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Psyduck, Torchic, Shroomish, Skitty, Pachirisu, Drifloon (well, this one kinda is included in a legendary-ish way), Buneary, and Happiny. Platinum just adds all evolutions of the 3 Sinnoh starters to that list. The only Pokemon who have an overworld sprite at all in the game who aren't useable in Amity Square are the legendaries that have sprites larger than 1x1.

GreatGonzales106

I think it's fine as it is. If you really want overworld sprites, just play the Mystery Dungeon games.

JrDude

Every pokémon should have overworld sprites, but only for the Daycare, I like how you were able to see your pokémon in the daycare in G/S/C, IDK why, but that's the only place they should be in, besides legendaries and Amity park. The Pikachu thing is a no-go, you can't have a person following your Pikachu when they team up with you, that's weird (I was only using Pikachu as an example), and you can't do many things when something is following you, like Rock Climb, Surf, ride a bike, and maybe more. I also think there should be more Pokémon available in Amity Park, I mean, the ones they allow aren't the only cute Pokémon, maybe that's where your 1x1 sprite thing can take place, but maybe not, 'cause every pokémon picks up stuff randomly in that place, most different than the other, and that would be a hassle to do for Game Freak. One more thing, there should be a place where you can release ALL your pokémon out of their pokéballs so they can get some "fresh air" and not have to battle/be stuck in a pokéball, and maybe interact with the other pokémon in the party, there would be a good place for overworlds, leaving would cause them all to automatically return to their pokéball.
Just as a random point out, there were other overworld Pokémon in the game, but only in houses.
[move][/move]
Dude .

bluaki

Quote from: JrDude on April 17, 2009, 08:25:03 PM
Every pokémon should have overworld sprites, but only for the Daycare, I like how you were able to see your pokémon in the daycare in G/S/C, IDK why, but that's the only place they should be in, besides legendaries and Amity park. The Pikachu thing is a no-go, you can't have a person following your Pikachu when they team up with you, that's weird (I was only using Pikachu as an example), and you can't do many things when something is following you, like Rock Climb, Surf, ride a bike, and maybe more. I also think there should be more Pokémon available in Amity Park, I mean, the ones they allow aren't the only cute Pokémon, maybe that's where your 1x1 sprite thing can take place, but maybe not, 'cause every pokémon picks up stuff randomly in that place, most different than the other, and that would be a hassle to do for Game Freak. One more thing, there should be a place where you can release ALL your pokémon out of their pokéballs so they can get some "fresh air" and not have to battle/be stuck in a pokéball, and maybe interact with the other pokémon in the party, there would be a good place for overworlds, leaving would cause them all to automatically return to their pokéball.
Just as a random point out, there were other overworld Pokémon in the game, but only in houses.
Um, doesn't that fit under "I think they probably should make the sprite for all available Pokemon. They'd use it on something, but I don't really want anything like Pikachu in Yellow.".
Also, a following Pokemon doesn't have to be out during HM moves. Think about Surf in Pokemon Yellow. Well, not a very good example considering that the trainer isn't visible during HM moves until 3rd gen, but still.

JrDude

Quote from: Bluaki on April 17, 2009, 08:40:17 PM
Quote from: JrDude on April 17, 2009, 08:25:03 PM
Um, doesn't that fit under "I think they probably should make the sprite for all available Pokemon. They'd use it on something, but I don't really want anything like Pikachu in Yellow.".
Also, a following Pokemon doesn't have to be out during HM moves. Think about Surf in Pokemon Yellow. Well, not a very good example considering that the trainer isn't visible during HM moves until 3rd gen, but still.
1. I guess, but a lot of the stuff I said I didn't think about when I was voting.
2. I never played Pokémon yellow, and yes it is a bad example because where's Pikachu gonna go now? just disappear? or ride on a second floaty thingy? or will it be an animation of Surfing Pikachu?
[move][/move]
Dude .

bluaki

Well, HeartGold and SoulSilver seem to have following implemented in some form (at least for 1st form starters and shiny Pichu), so bump for new relevance.

Doodle

The starters following you in HG/SS seems fine.
And I think Amity Park is fine how it is.
If they do decide to do something like this, it shouldn't be a priority.
YEAH

JrDude

Sorry for the bump, but Bluaki like predicted the future here o.O
EVERY Pokémon can follow you in HG/SS (according to Serebii). And he made this thread before the chance of the game's existence was known yet, HOW DID YOU DO IT BLUAKI?!
Though it is stupid, I have grown on the idea of every Pokémon being able to follow you, it makes me want the game a lot more now. Though I do kinda hope you can have no Pokémon follow you.

On an unrelated note, the enemy in G/S/C, is it a male or female?
[move][/move]
Dude .

bluaki

Quote from: JrDude ♪ on June 14, 2009, 02:33:12 PM
Though I do kinda hope you can have no Pokémon follow you.

On an unrelated note, the enemy in G/S/C, is it a male or female?
I wonder how the following thing treats eggs. It'd be funny if the eggs hop behind you, but I'd guess the first non-egg pokemon in your party follows.

The G/S rival is male. Even moreso than for Gold, Silver (the rival's name) has his new character art be much more feminine in HG/SS.

On a side note, HG/SS follow the most popular option in my poll.
QuoteThey should make overworld sprites for ALL pokemon, and at that also allow them all in Amity Park or perhaps even an option to follow you through the game like Pikachu in Yellow
7 (50%)

JrDude

Quote from: Bluaki on June 15, 2009, 01:33:55 PM
I wonder how the following thing treats eggs. It'd be funny if the eggs hop behind you, but I'd guess the first non-egg pokemon in your party follows.

The G/S rival is male. Even moreso than for Gold, Silver (the rival's name) has his new character art be much more feminine in HG/SS.
Hmm, it wouldn't be that surprising if an egg followed you, but what about the Manaphy egg? In relation to that, would shiny pokémon overworld sprites be shiny too? 'cause the icon thingies aren't (yet).

And I thought it was a male, my cousin called the rival "Rocket Girl" on his Gold version, and it confused me.
[move][/move]
Dude .

bluaki

Quote from: JrDude ♪ on June 15, 2009, 08:46:05 PM
In relation to that, would shiny pokémon overworld sprites be shiny too? 'cause the icon thingies aren't (yet).
In the edit of my first post, I mentioned that
QuoteWhether or not shinies and gender differences are featured in the overworld sprites is unknown.
I know that neither are shown in the PC/Party icons.

Omega12

They announced that they are doing the pokemon over world sprites.

Super Hyper Puzzle Gem street fighter 4 the new challengers hyper fighting championchip edition Turbo  3rd Strike Alpha 3 Upper The Movie: The world warrior fighters new generation giant attack The final fight for the future HD Remix EX2010 Online

bluaki

Quote from: Omega12 on June 16, 2009, 05:11:56 AM
They announced that they are doing the pokemon over world sprites.
You know, it's sometimes best to read at least one post in a thread before replying to it. Whether the first or last post, they both would have told you that we know that already.

Omega12

Quote from: Bluaki on June 16, 2009, 04:45:25 PM
You know, it's sometimes best to read at least one post in a thread before replying to it. Whether the first or last post, they both would have told you that we know that already.
D: But that wouldnt be random at all D:

Steelix following you looks weird.

Super Hyper Puzzle Gem street fighter 4 the new challengers hyper fighting championchip edition Turbo  3rd Strike Alpha 3 Upper The Movie: The world warrior fighters new generation giant attack The final fight for the future HD Remix EX2010 Online

JrDude

Sometimes random isn't funny, sometimes it just means you're a moron.

And another thing, in response to me hoping that they can be put away, I'm almost positive they will be able to, due to the fact that some Pokémon can't run as fast as a bike/fly or swim over water/climb walls (if it somehow returns).
[move][/move]
Dude .