News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Donkey Kong Country Returns is out today!

Started by Lotos, November 21, 2010, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotos

They also have some cool commercials on TV.  Go buy the game.  The Target near me gave me a $10 gift card when I purchased it.  Amazon had it at $44.44 last I checked.

Nayrman

Got it, beat worlds 1 and 2 (and got both secret levels to get the orbs), and so far:

- it controls way too slippery. DK's air momentum is awkward and his run/jump feel too loose and almost uncontrollable in certain situations.
- This game feels designed more for Diddy than DK
- Level designs are good though
- Music is nice
- Although so far all I want to do is play the old SNES games. Why oh why isn't there classic or Cube controller support?
- Way way WAAAAAYYYYY too much waggling for a 2D platformer. Nintendo/Retro, stop shoe-horning this stuff into our games.

Doodle

Quote from: Nayrman on November 21, 2010, 08:43:13 PM
- Way way WAAAAAYYYYY too much waggling for a 2D platformer. Nintendo/Retro, stop shoe-horning this stuff into our games.
Is the waggling like NSMBWii? I had no problem at all with shaking in that game.
YEAH

Neerb

Plus, DK had shaking galore in Jungle Beat, and that was a pretty good platformer.

Kayo

No Classic Controller? Aww... :(

But i must get this. And I'm not spoiling it for myself. So I'm not watching videos of gameplay or anything. IWANTITIWANTITIWANTIT
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Nayrman

Quote from: Doodle on November 22, 2010, 05:21:56 PM
Is the waggling like NSMBWii? I had no problem at all with shaking in that game.

More like you have to shake for nearly everything, including the intercourse ing roll attack. I ask you, what was so wrong with B? WHAT WAS SO WRONG WITH B!?!?!? And you need to use it in tense moments, and I simply don't trust the Wiimote to be accurate enough to handle that.

Updated impressions:
- Ok, it really is that hard. Some of it fake difficulty (DK's bad physics *he controls like Luigi, slippery as intercourse *, no checkpoints in some levels, etc.) but a lot of it is real difficulty too. So, even I guess. Although I'm still annoyed at the weird physics in this. It's like Sonic 4. It's not...bad it's just...odd... and annoying in certain areas.
- Fuck the Rocket Barrel levels. What was so wrong with just up and down? Gradius got this right in the mid 1980's!
- Music is VERY nice.
- Bosses that are actually difficult? Finally.
- Still too much waggling. C'mon guys, at least SUPPORT the classic controller!
- Still prefer the SNES games more X_X
- World 4-K.... just WOW. *slams head against desk*

Nayrman

Well, just finished every level in the game *including a certain somewhat trippy final final level*

While this is a solid game in it's own right, I don't think it's worthy of the Donkey Kong Country name. The control is just too loose/slippery. It's like they thought that DK should control like a big dumb gorilla since he is one. While a lot of the level design is great, there are some clunkers in there. This game as a weird blend of challenge. About half of it is legit, the other half is a lot of the fake difficulty from said older games.

To be honest, all 3 SNES games are better than this, but if you want something solid to play, this is pretty good.

Gwen Khan

you already beat it? it's only been out since Sunday

Nayrman

Quote from: Gwen Khan on November 23, 2010, 06:38:01 PM
you already beat it? it's only been out since Sunday

Hey, I 100% Sonic Colors the day after it came out, this took TWO days! :P

It's more like I've played Donkey Kong Country to death since it was released in 1994... I just know how it works. It's why I can beat games like Sonic and Mario so darn fast.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Nayrman on November 23, 2010, 06:50:18 PM
Hey, I 100% Sonic Colors the day after it came out, this took TWO days! :P

It's more like I've played Donkey Kong Country to death since it was released in 1994... I just know how it works. It's why I can beat games like Sonic and Mario so darn fast.
Translation: He kept playing nonstop because he's got other stuff to do to get busy later.

Nayrman

Quote from: AuraChannelerChris on November 23, 2010, 06:53:28 PM
Translation: He kept playing nonstop because he's got other stuff to do to get busy later.

*is a full time student at Georgia Tech and has a job*

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh...

Magnum

Well it's not like Nintendo games are all that long anyways. It'd be pretty easy to beat in 1-2 days if you go for the goal.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Doodle

http://www.mediafire.com/?9jvhs3p7wl6zys9
Apparently, for those with homebrew and care enough about waggling, this a "fix" to map the functions that require waggling to B. :U
Hold B = pound
Hold Down and B = Blow
Hold forward and B = Roll
YEAH

JrDude

I tried playing with just the Wiimote AND with the Nunchuck, and it bothers me to death the waggling you have to do with the nunchuck, but not as much when only the Wiimote.

I'm not an ultra nerd who plays all day, so I only got through a lot of World 1, and it's pretty fun. One puzzle piece (Star coins of this game, as are the letters K O N G) was in a spot where you had to be lucky/in a rush to find it, or just get annoyed enough to commit suicide in the level, to find "oshi, shooting to NOTHING leads to hidden barrel?" seriously, this one had 0 sign of anything down there, not a banana, not ANYTHING. In a later level (or is it the same level? I don't remember) there's one that's hidden that has a small hint, the bottom of a banana, but seriously, without a hint or luck, how could you find that puzzle piece?
If you don't want spoilers, I think that's a spoiler you wanted (if you're trying to 100% at least).

I'm probably not gonna be playing it much yet, not until I 100% Sonic Colors (I got it before Nayr did and still didn't do this yet).
[move][/move]
Dude .

Magnum

Quote from: JrDude 益 on November 25, 2010, 11:57:48 PM
I tried playing with just the Wiimote AND with the Nunchuck, and it bothers me to death the waggling you have to do with the nunchuck, but not as much when only the Wiimote.

I'm not an ultra nerd who plays all day, so I only got through a lot of World 1, and it's pretty fun. One puzzle piece (Star coins of this game, as are the letters K O N G) was in a spot where you had to be lucky/in a rush to find it, or just get annoyed enough to commit suicide in the level, to find "oshi, shooting to NOTHING leads to hidden barrel?" seriously, this one had 0 sign of anything down there, not a banana, not ANYTHING. In a later level (or is it the same level? I don't remember) there's one that's hidden that has a small hint, the bottom of a banana, but seriously, without a hint or luck, how could you find that puzzle piece?
If you don't want spoilers, I think that's a spoiler you wanted (if you're trying to 100% at least).

I'm probably not gonna be playing it much yet, not until I 100% Sonic Colors (I got it before Nayr did and still didn't do this yet).
Once again. Nintendo game. Not that hard. Short. Only around 10 hours. Not even a day to beat it in its entirety.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change