News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

Mother 2 and anti-piracy

Started by Lotos, October 10, 2010, 06:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotos

http://starmen.net/mother2/gameinfo/antipiracy/

That was an interesting read.  They check the SNES' PPU to check the region.  They check to see if the game is on a (flash) cartridge or not.  One makes random enemies appear more often and one erases the game's save.

SkyMyl

Oh yeah, I remember reading about that.

The file deletion occurring at the end is pretty evil.

Silverhawk79

Tupin

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on October 15, 2010, 06:50:45 PM
So is there any way around it?
Yes, hacking the game like how every ROM you can download is. You can activate it with codes on an emulator.

I actually own a copy of Mother 2. Not EarthBound, Mother 2. The Super Famicom game.

It's hard to play an RPG in your non-native language.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

SkyMyl

Quote from: Tupin on October 15, 2010, 07:26:01 PM
Yes, hacking the game like how every ROM you can download is. You can activate it with codes on an emulator.

I actually own a copy of Mother 2. Not EarthBound, Mother 2. The Super Famicom game.

It's hard to play an RPG in your non-native language.
Considering you spend most of your time reading what items serve what purpose in RPGs, and reading the dialogue for the story, that should be expected.

...wait, what compelled you to play Mother 2?

Lotos

Quote from: SkyMyl on October 15, 2010, 09:20:34 PM
Considering you spend most of your time reading what items serve what purpose in RPGs, and reading the dialogue for the story, that should be expected.

...wait, what compelled you to play Mother 2?

I assume (and I'm 99% sure I'm correct) that Tuppy is a collector, seeing how he posts all of these threads of systems we haven't heard of.  I know when I buy a game, I want to play it.  I downloaded and tried Etrian Odyssey looking for the track FOE was based off of.

Tupin

Oh, I played it, or at least attempted to. I think I beat the first boss in Onett with the help of an FAQ before I gave up. The other files on it were all the way up to Gigyas, though.

Homewrecker

I never beat it because of this. Still one of my favorite games though.

Cornwad

It should only do that for Mother 2. NoA is pretty much telling us to pirate Earthbound at this point, what else are we supposed to do? I think it's funny that after Smash Bros we have Fire Emblem, one of Nintendo's most Japanese games, but we don't have a rerelease of Earthbound, a game which is pretty much set in Ohio.

Zero

The difference between Fire Emblem and Mother is that Fire Emblem actually generates enough profit to justify western releases. The Mother franchise has never been a blockbuster series in japan, so the fact that Earthbound is the only one to get released outside of japan makes sense.

It also helps that Fire Emblem as a whole is generally good and Mother is not.

Homewrecker

Quote from: Zero on October 19, 2010, 08:31:34 PM
It also helps that Fire Emblem as a whole is generally good and Mother is not.
what did you just say

i'll slap your poop

come at me bro

come at me

quit hidin behind your girl and come at me bro

Gwen Khan

does this effect the game if you have an actual cartridge?

Tupin

Gwen Khan

are there any other games that have this?

Jhen Mohran

Quote from: Gwen Khan on November 27, 2010, 11:42:06 AM
are there any other games that have this?
I'm pretty sure that there are other games that have methods of preventing people who pirated it to play it entirely.