News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

HELP: My Life Dream.

Started by AdamSakuru, September 16, 2009, 08:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamSakuru

So, I'm in my last year of school. This year is critical for me, I'm trying to do my best in school, make a lot of portfolio pieces, I'm also learning Japanese (So far, I got all the Hiragana symbols down) and well.....

I'm sure you all know what I wish to do? Make my Smash Bros, Story into a manga/comic for Nintendo. And how I planned on doing that was to simply go and speak to Shiguru Miyamoto. (PLEASE don't make any comments towards how "unorthodox" that is. No-one, not even my family, has supported what I wanted to do. Believe me, I've heard every possible comment about this that can probably be made.)

Now, I'm going to be honest here. When I was a kid, and I first decided I wanted to meet him and work for Nintendo......I never really thought about HOW it was gonna happen. I just thought it would happen.

When I was in tenth grade, I realized how exactly I wanted to do this: When I make an art portfolio, I would save enough money, and travel to Japan, and Find Miyamoto myself, show him my work, and tell him how much I admire him, his work and what he does. And propose to make my comics for them etc....

Though, in case you're wondering, I'll answer some questions you may be asking:

-Why don't you go to art college? Simple: People don't like my work. My work is considered crap and is overshadowed by everyone Else's typical artwork nowadays (All about Sexual appeal/Orientation if it's not the same old Realism or Anime we've seen for years and years).

-My dream is to work for Nintendo. BUT SPECIFICALLY it was and is to meet Miyamoto himself. It's been a dream I've held onto since my very harsh childhood, and I held onto it and it kept me going. I'm going to make sure it'll happen.

Miyamoto is 52 years old, I'm not trying to say anything, but that is a bit close to old, and I don't want to waste any time making money for art school, then having to spend years in art school, then making money for a trip and finally going.

I have a few other personal reasons, but lets get down to the point:

I need to do research about Nintendo, Miyamoto himself and such things as his shcedule, how on would meet him on such a basis as I plan to etc...

I wanted to ask you guys first before I began to search the internets for answers. I mean this IS a Nintendo forum, and you're all pretty creative people. So, I'd like to hear your take/advice on what I plan to do. And before you ask/suggest, no, I don't plan on doing this another way.

(Unless there's only one exception, being: It's impossible to meet Miyamoto for whatever reasons may come up. Si I travel to N.O.A and try to meet that president of Nintendo...Um, Reggie, is it?)

-Adam!
"Time to earn our reputation!"
-Adam Sakuru

Silverhawk79

It sounds a little crazy (as I'm sure you've heard from everyone), but it's an ambitious dream. I think if you put yourself to it, you'll be able to achieve it.

So_So_Man

sounds ambitious, crazy, and a little bit stalkery.

Lohn Jocke

Want my opinion? Wait for Miyamoto to fly over to US, then try to meet him there. You could save some cash, and if he does say yes, then you can use the Japan Money to get to a good studio.
Crazy and ambitious? I love it.

Dog Food

Well, before you go you should make sure that you have made the best work you can possibly make (for your comic, I mean). It's critical for you to show your best work to him. You can look up the address for Nintendo of Japan online, and then make an appointment there. If you're lucky, Miyamoto will choose to see you, but most likely you'll end up dealing with a lot of his "underlings". It's critical to show him a pilot of your comic, and make it as good as you can get.

If all else fails, you have Nintendo of America to fall back on. I'm sure with their help you could finally meet Miyamoto that way, anyway.

I have one piece of advice: If you are serious about this, pursue it. Don't look back, don't back down, just follow your dream through. Even when things get tough and you think all else is lost, it isn't. Just keep on going until the very end, and if you truly believe you can do it, then you can.

I really hope it all works out for you, and you follow your dream.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

AdamSakuru

Quote from: KIBBLE N BITS on September 17, 2009, 06:09:16 PM
Well, before you go you should make sure that you have made the best work you can possibly make (for your comic, I mean). It's critical for you to show your best work to him. You can look up the address for Nintendo of Japan online, and then make an appointment there. If you're lucky, Miyamoto will choose to see you, but most likely you'll end up dealing with a lot of his "underlings". It's critical to show him a pilot of your comic, and make it as good as you can get.

If all else fails, you have Nintendo of America to fall back on. I'm sure with their help you could finally meet Miyamoto that way, anyway.

I have one piece of advice: If you are serious about this, pursue it. Don't look back, don't back down, just follow your dream through. Even when things get tough and you think all else is lost, it isn't. Just keep on going until the very end, and if you truly believe you can do it, then you can.

I really hope it all works out for you, and you follow your dream.

Thank you, this advice was very good and means a lot you'd take time to write this.

Yes, I'll have to consider both sides. If seeing Miyamoto directly proves to be impossible, I'll have to head over to Nintendo of America (This being after I finish my portfolio and whatnot etc...)

Yeah, I'll never give up. I've come this far, to quit would contradict everything I am about!

An thanks, I also hope any of your dreams/ambitions are of most success to you :)
-Adam Sakuru

AdamSakuru

Quote from: MR_KENNEDY on September 17, 2009, 05:45:44 PM
Want my opinion? Wait for Miyamoto to fly over to US, then try to meet him there. You could save some cash, and if he does say yes, then you can use the Japan Money to get to a good studio.
Crazy and ambitious? I love it.

Thanks, man :D
-Adam Sakuru

jnfs2014

I agree with KJ.

Stuff I add:
Dreams, like anything in life, take hard work in order to succeed. Along the way, you might fall down. Say the money thing isn't going well. What will you do? Are you just going to jump ship and give up? Are you going to wake up twenty years from now and wish you could have these years back? Or are you going to keep on persevering until you can look back twenty years from now and say "Wow, I'm glad I worked hard to make my dream come true"?

The Riddler

As a heads up, if you're doing a Smash Bros. comic/manga, you shouldn't bring it to Miyamoto first. Find Sakurai. Smash Bros. is his baby.

AdamSakuru

Quote from: RIDDLER_ROB on September 17, 2009, 10:16:59 PM
As a heads up, if you're doing a Smash Bros. comic/manga, you shouldn't bring it to Miyamoto first. Find Sakurai. Smash Bros. is his baby.

Oh, I know that!

Actually, for most of my life I didn't XD

And the main reason being, when I was a kid, the only logic I had was "Super Mario brothers = Super Smash Bros," meaning I thought "The guy who made Mario" also created Smash Bros,

The thing is, the main characters of the story are two of my originals, the Mario brothers and Kirby. And Smash Brothers also belongs to Sakurai. So, this thing is like half and half, I know I'd be lucky to meet even Just Miyamoto. But at times I was wondering if it'd be possible to meet them both (Even preferably, a the same time!) 
-Adam Sakuru

Red

This reminds me of a story that might help you at.

Stephen Pastis, creator of the popular comic strip "Pearls Before Swine," wanted to show Charles Schulz, creator of "Peanuts" some of his work.

Up until now, Stephen was working as a lawyer, but always wanted to be a comic writer since he was a kid. Through a bit of stalkery, and more illegal things, Stephen found out that Mr. Schulz ate breakfast at a certain doughnut shop every morning.

So Pastis decided to get enough money to make it to that exact California doughnut shop. Once he arrived there, he waited. For two hours. As soon as he was about to get up and leave, in walks the man himself. Pastis then shows him his work, gets his approval, and is now a syndicated artist appearing in hundreds of newspapers.

I'm not sure if that helps or not, it just reminded me of it. What I figured from it is that you should show Miyamoto your stuff somewhere else besides his job. He won't be in a rush that way, and will consider it in a different light perhaps? Anyway, hope that (somewhat) helps.

AdamSakuru

Quote from: RedSox on September 20, 2009, 06:04:24 PM
This reminds me of a story that might help you at.

Stephen Pastis, creator of the popular comic strip "Pearls Before Swine," wanted to show Charles Schulz, creator of "Peanuts" some of his work.

Up until now, Stephen was working as a lawyer, but always wanted to be a comic writer since he was a kid. Through a bit of stalkery, and more illegal things, Stephen found out that Mr. Schulz ate breakfast at a certain doughnut shop every morning.

So Pastis decided to get enough money to make it to that exact California doughnut shop. Once he arrived there, he waited. For two hours. As soon as he was about to get up and leave, in walks the man himself. Pastis then shows him his work, gets his approval, and is now a syndicated artist appearing in hundreds of newspapers.

I'm not sure if that helps or not, it just reminded me of it. What I figured from it is that you should show Miyamoto your stuff somewhere else besides his job. He won't be in a rush that way, and will consider it in a different light perhaps? Anyway, hope that (somewhat) helps.

This does help, it makes me feel motivated, actually!  :D

Thank you :)

Yeah it really makes me happy to see people go for their dreams. Even if it takes a long time, they finish what they started in the end, YEAH!
-Adam Sakuru