News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

"Only geeks and otakus want more storage"

Started by Tupin, June 12, 2008, 07:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

http://kotaku.com/5015733/only-geeks-and-otaku-want-more-wii-memory-space

That was an actual quote from a Nintendo of Europe executive when someone asked whether there would be a HDD or not.

What will happen once the soccer moms who are playing Wii Fit decide to play a game further down the line or even download a game and they run out of space? I'm sure they will know then how annoying it is to delete and redownload stuff, especially since the Wii Shop Channel is so slow and laggy.

Only 256 MB of the 512 is actually available for game saves. 512 MB for a tech device made in 2006. Wow, that's all that I can say. Hopefully they have SOMETHING planned.  :|

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Linkman

Only geeks and otakus want more storage

Nintendo of Europe has offended me...  :(

Tupin

Quote from: Linkfan71 on June 12, 2008, 07:42:50 PM

It IS just Nintendo of Europe.

I mean, we're talking about the same people who aren't gonna release Brawl in Europe for two weeks, three months after America got it. Just like Nintendo of Australia.

Which reminds me, it must be hard to translate English into English.

Gwen Khan

Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on June 12, 2008, 07:46:15 PM

I mean, we're talking about the same people who aren't gonna release Brawl in Europe for two weeks, three months after America got it. Just like Nintendo of Australia.

and a few other languages, what does Nintendo of Japan say about the storage issue?

Tupin

Quote from: Commissar Torgo on June 12, 2008, 07:50:01 PM

and a few other languages, what does Nintendo of Japan say about the storage issue?
Iwata says they are working something out, but it's not high on their list of priorities.

Silverhawk79

Or, you know, people who want to have additional content for their games, and not feel inadequate due to the fact that my flash drive has as much storage as a $250 game console.

ME86

Uh, PAL territories always get games around the same time, no matter if they speak a language that the game has already been translated into.   

Tupin

Quote from: ME86 on June 12, 2008, 08:36:12 PM

Uh, PAL territories always get games around the same time, no matter if they speak a language that the game has already been translated into.   
Yeah, that's become standard with Sony and Microsoft, I mean both GTA IV and MGS4 both launched in all regions on the same day. Nintendo still releases games in different regions at different times, usually months later.

Here's the launch pattern for Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

Japan: February 9th, 2008
North America: March 9th, 2008
Australia: June 26th, 2008
Europe: June 27th, 2008

Most people that wanted it just imported it anyway.

Kodiack

Well, I'm a geek and I want more space. No complaints about the article here. However, I don't want an external hard drive. Hard drives can be pretty slow compared to high-end flash memory. If you thought that some of the Wii data was slow already, I'd hate to imagine it going through a USB HDD.

Lotos

RAGE >:(

Well remember Nintendo, without geeks and otakus, you'd be intercourse ed.  You can barely keep the hardcore gamers so you had to attract the casual gamers.  If it wasn't for the gimmick, you'd be out of the console war by now.

Tupin

Quote from: Lotos on June 12, 2008, 09:20:08 PM
RAGE >:(

Well remember Nintendo, without geeks and otakus, you'd be intercourse ed.  You can barely keep the hardcore gamers so you had to attract the casual gamers.  If it wasn't for the gimmick, you'd be out of the console war by now.
At least they can make good handhelds.

The DS is awesome and actually has enough great games to balance out the shovelware.

The Wii...not so much.

ME86

Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on June 12, 2008, 08:49:09 PM

Yeah, that's become standard with Sony and Microsoft, I mean both GTA IV and MGS4 both launched in all regions on the same day. Nintendo still releases games in different regions at different times, usually months later.

Uh, brawl came out on the 31st of January in Japan if I am not mistaken.

And neither Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots nor Grand Theft Auto IV were published by either Sony of Microsoft, they had nothing to do with them getting simultaneous releases Konami and Rockstar put in a lot of work to do that. 

Tupin

Quote from: ME86 on June 12, 2008, 09:55:29 PM

And neither Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots nor Grand Theft Auto IV were published by either Sony of Microsoft, they had nothing to do with them getting simultaneous releases Konami and Rockstar put in a lot of work to do that. 
No, it came out on February 9th, because I remember all the hype.

ME86

Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on June 12, 2008, 09:59:20 PM
Quote from: ME86 on June 12, 2008, 09:55:29 PM

No, it came out on February 9th, because I remember all the hype.

Please tell me why the Japanese wiki article for Dairanto Smash Brothers X says 31 January, not to mention so does our article.

Custom

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on June 12, 2008, 08:24:27 PM
Or, you know, people who want to have additional content for their games, and not feel inadequate due to the fact that my flash drive has as much storage as a $250 game console.

My flash drive has 2 GB on it. :|
I got one of the Wii memory cards when it came out. It turns can't get save data from all of the Wii games onto the memory cards. I don't even know if it saves where you had save points. All I know is you could put brawl courses on it. D:

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!