News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Why is it snowing in las vegas?

Started by えっちーせんぱい, December 17, 2008, 06:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

えっちーせんぱい

I intercourse ing moved out here to get away from it.

I can't escape it, its stalking me ;-;

Spam

This is why

[spoiler]Snow crystals form when tiny supercooled cloud droplets (approx 10μm in diameter) freeze. These droplets are able to remain liquid at temperatures colder than 0°C because in order to freeze, a few molecules in the liquid droplet need to get together by chance to form an arrangement close to that in an ice lattice; then the droplet freezes around this 'nucleus'. Experiments show that this 'homogeneous' nucleation of cloud droplets only occurs at temperatures colder than -35°C.[1] In warmer clouds an aerosol particle or 'ice nucleus' must be present in (or in contact with) the droplet to act as a nucleus. Our understanding of what particles make efficient ice nuclei is poor - what we do know is they are very rare compared to that cloud condensation nuclei which liquid droplets form on. Clays, desert dust and biological particles may be effective,[2] although to what extent is unclear. Artificial nuclei include silver iodide and dry ice, and these form the basis of cloud seeding.

Once a droplet has frozen, it grows in the supersaturated environment (air saturated with respect to liquid water is always supersaturated with respect to ice) and grows by diffusion of water molecules in the air (vapour) onto the ice crystal surface where they are deposited. Because the droplets are so much more numerous than the ice crystals (because of the relative numbers of ice vs droplet nuclei) the crystals are able to grow to hundreds of micrometres or millimetres in size at the expense of the water droplets (the Wegner-Bergeron-Findeison process). The corresponding depletion of water vapour causes the droplets to evaporate, meaning that the ice crystals effectively grow at the droplets' expense. These large crystals are an efficient source of precipitation, since they fall through the atmosphere due to their weight, and may collide and stick together in clusters (aggregates). These aggregates are snowflakes, and are usually the type of ice particle which falls at the ground. [3] The exact details of the sticking mechanism remains controversial (and probably there are different mechanisms active in different clouds), possibilities include mechanical interlocking, sintering, electrostatic attraction as well as the existence of a 'sticky' liquid-like layer on the crystal surface.[/spoiler]

Syncopathic

Snowed last week in Houston.
It was awesome, I ate so much snow and froze my hands. ;__;

Quote from: Spam on December 17, 2008, 06:30:48 PM
This is why

[spoiler]Snow crystals form when tiny supercooled cloud droplets (approx 10μm in diameter) freeze. These droplets are able to remain liquid at temperatures colder than 0°C because in order to freeze, a few molecules in the liquid droplet need to get together by chance to form an arrangement close to that in an ice lattice; then the droplet freezes around this 'nucleus'. Experiments show that this 'homogeneous' nucleation of cloud droplets only occurs at temperatures colder than -35°C.[1] In warmer clouds an aerosol particle or 'ice nucleus' must be present in (or in contact with) the droplet to act as a nucleus. Our understanding of what particles make efficient ice nuclei is poor - what we do know is they are very rare compared to that cloud condensation nuclei which liquid droplets form on. Clays, desert dust and biological particles may be effective,[2] although to what extent is unclear. Artificial nuclei include silver iodide and dry ice, and these form the basis of cloud seeding.

Once a droplet has frozen, it grows in the supersaturated environment (air saturated with respect to liquid water is always supersaturated with respect to ice) and grows by diffusion of water molecules in the air (vapour) onto the ice crystal surface where they are deposited. Because the droplets are so much more numerous than the ice crystals (because of the relative numbers of ice vs droplet nuclei) the crystals are able to grow to hundreds of micrometres or millimetres in size at the expense of the water droplets (the Wegner-Bergeron-Findeison process). The corresponding depletion of water vapour causes the droplets to evaporate, meaning that the ice crystals effectively grow at the droplets' expense. These large crystals are an efficient source of precipitation, since they fall through the atmosphere due to their weight, and may collide and stick together in clusters (aggregates). These aggregates are snowflakes, and are usually the type of ice particle which falls at the ground. [3] The exact details of the sticking mechanism remains controversial (and probably there are different mechanisms active in different clouds), possibilities include mechanical interlocking, sintering, electrostatic attraction as well as the existence of a 'sticky' liquid-like layer on the crystal surface.[/spoiler]
Ever hear of Rhetorical questions?

えっちーせんぱい

Quote from: Spam on December 17, 2008, 06:30:48 PM
This is why

Shut up.

StarWindWizard7

It snowed in New Orleans (and my area on the 11th), it was very magical....

HOWEVER, I fear for what will happen to us THIS hurricane Season.......

Kiss Louisiana good bye people!!

Qsmash

Quote from: StarWindWizard7 on December 17, 2008, 07:14:59 PM

Or at least the bottom half...

Friendly Hostile

Deserts get cold at night.  Sometimes they get snow.

StarWindWizard7

Quote from: Qsmashbro on December 17, 2008, 07:16:06 PM
Quote from: StarWindWizard7 on December 17, 2008, 07:14:59 PM

Or at least the bottom half...
I'm so screwed...  D=

Macawmoses

Heh. That's awesome. I really wish I was there, being that it's likely a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

ThePowerOfOne

I don't know, why is it snowing/hailing on the coast of California? >_>

PsychoYoshi

GLOBAL WARMING

AL GORE WAS RIGHT

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kilroy

Quote from: PsychoYoshi on December 18, 2008, 01:19:21 AM
GLOBAL WARMING

AL GORE WAS RIGHT

NOT AL GORE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT

Totla

GLOBAL WARMING

AL GORE WAS RIGHT

global warming makes it cold what

Kilroy

Quote from: Totla on December 18, 2008, 04:23:31 AM
GLOBAL WARMING

AL GORE WAS RIGHT

global warming makes it cold what
yeah you see it makes the winters colder and the summers hotter because the gases in the ozone in the summer let a little bit of heat in and then it reflects over and over again and in the winter it let's in a little bit of cold and that reflects over and over again and that makes it coooooooold

Holy crap, it was hard to type like that ;-;
1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT

HTA!

Reverse Global Warming
Get ready to freeze ninnyes.