News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

The Name Rater is in.

Started by Kayo, November 04, 2010, 06:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Because I feel like it, how about you tell me some of your pokemon's nicknames, and I'll rate them. And no, I won't just give the generic "Hm, a remarkable name indeed! But do you want to give it a better one?" thing. I'll actually say what I like/dislike about it. Plus, I need some ideas to nickname my pokemon. So yeah. Give me what you got. Oh also, if it's in all caps, like I did my nicknames in gen 3 because the lowercase letters are ugly there, just post it like "Example" instead of "EXAMPLE" plzkthx

But first, what I generally like and dislike in names.

GOOD:
- Sounds cool, rolls off the tongue easily.
- References without being cheesy
- Scientific-like words, at times, because they sound more unique then they are.
- Words taken from other languages are often interesting.

BAD:
- Abbreviations. I don't care if T.S. is short for Thunderstorm because it passed the character limit. Periods look ugly in pokemon's names in battles anyway, and I don't want to have to infer a name. I like to see it exactly.
- Overly cheesy mixes of words. Maybe you think they sound cool, but SonarBat is not a good name for Zubat.
- adding -er to some verb. I don't like names like "Smasher," "Crusher," "Slasher," etc. Don't act like you're 9.
- Dropping letters to squeeze into the character limit. Sometimes, but rarely, very rarely, do they work. Please don't drop vowels, etc just so it fits.

Other than that I'm really looking forward to seeing your nicknames. So thrill me.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Magnum

Gengar = Bob

I'm good, amiright?

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Kayo

Quote from: Magnum on November 04, 2010, 06:43:36 PM
Gengar = Bob

I'm good, amiright?
I'm actually being serious here.

Gengar looks like more of a George.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Magnum

Look at his teeth though! It's way more Bob-ish.

Also, I don't nickname my Pokemon. But I do like this idea.  =P

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Kayo

Quote from: Magnum on November 04, 2010, 06:47:11 PM
Look at his teeth though! It's way more Bob-ish.

Also, I don't nickname my Pokemon. But I do like this idea.  =P
This way i get to yell at people who give bad ni- i mean give honest comments.
[move][/move]

Cornwad

I named my Vaporeon Alfredo, my Smeargle Fettuccine, and my Mr. Mime Monsieur Mime. I named my Maggyo DERP but nothing larger fit.

JrDude

I always nicknamed my Pokémon their regular name minus caps. Example: Haunter/HAUNTER
I always did it only for their final evo (except Haunter because I'd keep it Haunter because Haunter is more awesome), so usually they stayed unnamed until they got to their final evo, then I took them to the name rater.
I did that because I heard somewhere that Nicknaming the Pokémon makes them like you more or something, not sure if it's true but I kept doing it.

But recently, I've been feeling the urge to actually nickname my Pokémon, and in XD I am (though I haven't played in a long ass time). Though I don't want your opinion on them because they are all epic and awesome and for anyone else to think otherwise is RETARDED. Though they are most likely not names you would expect, nor is it a pun or perverted in anyway.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Neerb

I've never named my pokemon. I want to start naming them once Black/White comes stateside, but then my old pokemon wouldn't have nicknames while new ones would, and that would just be annoying. I really wish you could change the names of traded pokemon...

Sam Leonhart

I thank Oldenmw of FFU for this sig.

Rayquarian

I nicknamed my Megurok DDDDD.  What do you think?

Kayo

Quote from: Cornwad on November 04, 2010, 08:36:24 PM
I named my Vaporeon Alfredo, my Smeargle Fettuccine, and my Mr. Mime Monsieur Mime. I named my Maggyo DERP but nothing larger fit.
The Italian in me is attracted to these names. Except for Monsieur Mime (Can I mention that Monsieur Mime, abbreviated as M. Mime, is Mr. Mime's french name?) also Maggyo is more derp than derp.

Quote from: JrDude 益 on November 04, 2010, 09:18:05 PM
But recently, I've been feeling the urge to actually nickname my Pokémon, and in XD I am (though I haven't played in a long ass time). Though I don't want your opinion on them because they are all epic and awesome and for anyone else to think otherwise is RETARDED. Though they are most likely not names you would expect, nor is it a pun or perverted in anyway.
Say them anyway, I just might like them.

Quote from: Sam Leonhart on November 05, 2010, 05:25:37 PM
Leonhart for my Typhlosion?
I see a connection here.

Quote from: Rayquarian on November 05, 2010, 06:14:14 PM
I nicknamed my Megurok DDDDD.  What do you think?
I always give my pokemon on japanese games weird unfitting names in order to tell them apart. So this name makes perfect sense to me.
[move][/move]

Sam Leonhart

Quote from: Kianglo on November 05, 2010, 06:48:53 PM
I see a connection here.

If you didn't, we'd need a new Name Rater. No offence.

Kayo

Quote from: Sam Leonhart on November 06, 2010, 10:37:33 AM
If you didn't, we'd need a new Name Rater. No offence.
I am the new Name Rater.
[move][/move]

Sam Leonhart

Quote from: Kianglo on November 06, 2010, 06:21:46 PM
I am the new Name Rater.

We'd need a NEW new Name Rater.

So, how about River for a Riolu? Cause 'Rio' is Spanish for River. And the name of a fighter in a manga...

Kayo

Quote from: Sam Leonhart on November 12, 2010, 04:01:28 PM
We'd need a NEW new Name Rater.

So, how about River for a Riolu? Cause 'Rio' is Spanish for River. And the name of a fighter in a manga...
The first thing I think of there is water. Riolu =/= water. So not really. Plus, common english words don't usually make good nicknames. But if I got the manga reference (which I didn't) then it would make more sense to me. :/
[move][/move]