News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

What makes a Pokemon a Pokemon?

Started by THEEVILSPERKY, June 16, 2008, 11:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THEEVILSPERKY

I mean, look at the Pokemon universe, and just take a step back.  You accept it for what it is but let's examine it a little bit!

We have humans within it and no explanation needed there and then we have colorful creatures called Pokemon.  Now I don't recall if we have any actual animals that are present in the Pokemon universe but either way, we have something called Pokemon.  Some come from outer space, some from other dimensions, some from the sea, some from different voids of time, practically EVERYWHERE!  But what makes all these different creatures Pokemon???

A human is obviously not a Pokemon... but something from a forest and something from perhaps the moon, something genetically created in a lab, something passed on and not technically living... how are all these things Pokemon?  Apart from humans, are all creatures Pokemon?  Say something new is discovered.. is it a Pokemon?  Because you already have two groupings, humans and Pokemon, who's to say when something is obviously not human, it's a Pokemon by default.

Chucking a Pokeball at something as a test wouldn't work either considering Pokeballs have been known to catch rice balls... but does that mean you could also capture a human?  Are humans.. Pokemon? >_>;

Maybe this is all pretty basic.. maybe it is as simple as the animals of the world are either human or Pokemon and that's it.. but for some reason that somehow irks me.  Unless we can equate Pokemon as a word meaning animals/creatures and encompasses humans too.. but that's definitely false.

In our world, all animals are either human or this or that or this or that and so on.. so it's kinda different when seeing how simplified the fictional Pokemon universe is.  Maybe some day we'll see a creature in the Pokemon universe that isn't a human or Pokemon... and maybe we'll also see something original to the Pokemon universe that has no real-world counterpart and also isn't a human or a Pokemon.

I know, strange topic, but it's plus one topic to this low activity forum.  Take it or leave it. ^_^;
NES, SNES, N64, GCN (Jet Black), PQ (JPN), Wii, GBP (Clear), GBC (Green x2), GBASP (x2 Cobalt, x1 NES), DSLite (Black), SG3, SDC (x1 BIG, x1 Clear black top, solid grey/beige bottom), PS (x2), PS2 (Slim, Silver), PS3 (NTSC 60GB upgraded to 500GB), PSP 2000 (Silver, 4GB), XBox360 Elite

darkmario

There May be anmimals in the pkmn world.
Remember the episode where ash got a phamphy egg?
May said"Wow,Ash,you sound like a mother Hen!"
That means they know what a hen is.

Also Misty is profiled as "The tomboyish mermaid"

Cornwad

A Pokemon is anything that fits inside the Pokeballs. I remember seeing small insects (not bug pokemon) on one of the episodes once. Also, this means a Doughnut is a Pokemon :O