News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

Super Mario 3D Land discussion

Started by Nayrman, November 13, 2011, 02:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

So yeah, there will be spoilers, massive amounts of them here. Guess what? DAH PRINCESS IZ DA KIDNAPPED AND DA BOWSER BE STOPPED! (Seriously Nintendo, if you're not going to try, don't even bother with the princess thing. No one cares anymore. It's not even ironic funny, just tired.)

So yeah, the main game is pathetically short and easy. Finished World 8 with all star coins and about 150 lives or so. Sheesh. Nintendo, put some challenge in the main game please. At least there are eight whole special worlds, which is where I'm guessing the challenge is. Special World 1 wasn't that hard, but at least it was something. Cleared that out. Just special world 2 through 8 to do, but I'll do that some other time. Kinda tired and a bit of a headache. But yeah, completed the entire main game plus 1 world in about five hours. For what is being billed as a full Mario game, that was too short and easy. Ah well.

Level design was good, but they feel short. The power-ups are minimal as well. As would expect, the Tanooki Suit (Spoiler, you can't turn into stone until postgame) is pretty broken, letting you skip massive platforming sections. The Boomerang Brother suit is at least more useful than the Hammer Bro. suit, but it doesn't come up too much. It's fun though. And we have the returning propeller block from Mario Wii. Functions exactly the same.

So yeah, my impressions are that it is a fun, but ultimately short and simple Mario romp. It could've been way better than what it ended up being. At least the 3D actually does something this game.

DededeCloneChris

I thought this was a discussion, not a small review? Also, princesses being kidnapped is what make this kind of game a game. If you're tired of the Mario formula, then don't even complain and enjoy.

Anyway, the game's very good.

DededeCloneChris

Nayrman

Quote from: PrinnyOnLowBudgetChris on November 13, 2011, 03:37:19 PM
I thought this was a discussion, not a small review? Also, princesses being kidnapped is what make this kind of game a game. If you're tired of the Mario formula, then don't even complain and enjoy.

Anyway, the game's very good.

IT's what makes this kind of game? Please. At least Megaman makes fun of the fact that it's always Wily. At least Sonic, while mostly Eggman, he always has some kind of different scheme. What does Mario do? Save the same dumb ninny from the same guy over, and over, and over again. I would appreciate SOMETHING different. No, I'm not talking about a full on story, but at least the first two Mario Land games did SOMETHING different with the set up to an extent.

Tupin

Mega Man and Sonic don't always make very good, playable games with compelling storylines. Especially the Sonic series.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Nayrman

Quote from: Tupin on November 13, 2011, 04:38:59 PM
Mega Man and Sonic don't always make very good, playable games with compelling storylines. Especially the Sonic series.

I'm talking purely on the story here. Yes, Sonic has had some duds, but at least they're always doing something different. Mario has been saving the same darn princess for 25+ years. It's just...tired. All I'm asking is to either try something different or don't bother with a "story" at all, just start at 1-1 and have no mention of the princess at all. It's not like there's a point to it.

DededeCloneChris

If Mario made fun of all the times she got kidnapped, he wouldn't be Mario. That's something Sonic would do. Let side characters point it out for him.

Or we always have fan fiction.

Custom

Quote from: Nayrman on November 13, 2011, 04:47:20 PM
I'm talking purely on the story here. Yes, Sonic has had some duds, but at least they're always doing something different. Mario has been saving the same darn princess for 25+ years. It's just...tired. All I'm asking is to either try something different or don't bother with a "story" at all, just start at 1-1 and have no mention of the princess at all. It's not like there's a point to it.

don't be an idiot

although the game being too easy is a legitimate complaint

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Nayrman

Quote from: Custom on November 13, 2011, 06:25:29 PM
don't be an idiot

although the game being too easy is a legitimate complaint

Is it so wrong to want a little variety in terms of plot for my games? @_@;;

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Nayrman on November 13, 2011, 06:58:51 PM

Yeah... Leave that to RPGs.

Doodle

Quote from: Nayrman on November 13, 2011, 06:58:51 PM

I wouldn't expect it from one
The most plot Mario has ever had was in Sunshine, which turned out okay aside from Bowser's talking. :U
YEAH

Neerb

Question: How often did you use the Tanooki Suit? Nintendo did said that they put it in for the purpose of helping noobs; do you think the game would be more enjoyable if you didn't use it?

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: The Penguin on November 13, 2011, 07:26:35 PM
Question: How often did you use the Tanooki Suit? Nintendo did said that they put it in for the purpose of helping noobs; do you think the game would be more enjoyable if you didn't use it?
It reminds me of the days I used the Leaf in Super Mario Bros. 3. I guess that question also applies there.

Doodle

Quote from: The Penguin on November 13, 2011, 07:26:35 PM
Probably. If you abuse it you could compare it to just flying over the levels in SMW.
YEAH

Nayrman

Yeah, it is very cheap. I try to avoid it unless there's a section that kind of requires it. Not that there is, but I've come across sections that while plenty doable, are really awkward due to the camera positioning trying to get that 3D effect. I don't like hovering forever, but having a little bit of correction is kind of necessary in this kind of game, so I mostly use that to correct myself at the last second when the camera gets in the way.