News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

We fight for our teachers!

Started by L10, March 22, 2010, 05:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L10

Quote from: News paper article(We made first page of Tuesdays paper)The crowd of kids topped 500, marching slowly around the athletic track. Most were dressed in black. Some held signs, like "Save Our Teachers," and "The Cut Hurts Us Too!"

Minisink Valley students chose Monday morning to publicly vent their frustrations over the district's planned job cuts. Last week, the district announced it will cut 31 teaching positions, which includes 27 teacher layoffs. The district will also let go 24 teachers' aides.

"Only one of my teachers next year is going to be here. The rest of them are fired," said student Erica Spearing, one of the marchers. "That is not fair. They (the district) need to stop funding all the extracurricular activities and start funding education."

"I don't see how the budget can get away with cutting this many teachers out," added junior Paul Henning.

Members of the media were asked by school officials to leave the school grounds.

Students had been planning the march since last week. High school Principal Jack Latini met with organizers Monday morning before the start and made a deal, with Superintendent Martha Murray's blessing: if they confined the march to the athletic field and the first period of school, there would be no repercussions.

"Our primary focus was safety," Latini said.

About half of the students returned to class for the second period of school, Latini said. But others continued marching, even spilling out onto Route 6. Those who didn't return to school after first period would be disciplined as if they were cutting class, Latini said.

Colleen Smith watched from Route 6 as the students marched around the track. Her teaching position at Otisville Elementary School was cut, but she was moved to another teaching position within the district.

"I think the Board of Ed really needs to open their eyes and see what's happening here, and look at other ways they can try and cut the fat," Smith said.

Murray, who insists the cut in state aid necessitated the job cuts, hopes students voice their concerns to state lawmakers.

"I think Albany listens to kids," Murray said.

"It's one thing to let people here know that they care. I hope they use that energy and put it to good use."
0o!f