Main Menu

We fight for our teachers!

Started by L10, March 22, 2010, 05:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L10

Quote from: School site
STUDENT DEMONSTRATION
Posted March 22 at 8:46am

This morning a number of high school students staged a demonstration on the football field and in the upper parking lot opposing the staff reductions announced by the district last week. With assistance from the New York State Police, our administration, faculty, and staff were able to keep order. Student safety is always our first priority. Students are safely back in school and classes for the day have resumed.

So last week, our school decided to get rid of about 10% of our teachers and aides. We didn't take that well. At all. So Thursday night, students began to plan to have a rally/protest during the first 3 periods Monday(today). Some discussion went about, school got word of it and all. It eventually turned into, the school came to agree to let us protest for the first period and return in time for second.

Well they also expected us to start in the upper parking lot of the school. A lot of the buses even took a different way to the high school to avoid the upper parking lot. But they didn't know that Friday night, it was changed to the football field.
Anyways.
Not long after it all started a mob of middle schoolers came charging in. I heard they even trampled a girl. That was a little out of hand. They were followed by many of the middle school teachers.

The administration and such caught on quick that we were going to the football field and swiftly moved down to the field.

So now we have I would say way over half the high school student body, just about all of the administration(high school and middle school), a lot of high school teachers, a bit of the middle school teachers on the track/football field.
Everyone watched as the students walked the track just watched until 1st was almost over. Then they got onto the PA for the field and told us it was time to head in for class. So they opened the gates to let us go and we left the tack. Most of the sports people had to go in, as they could have been cut from the team and such. But the rest, we just all went strait up to the upper parking lot. About half of the kids up there marched around campus. And a little after that half got back, we were sent back down to the track. After being at the track for a little while longer they got back on the PA. They had a meeting with representatives/leaders that were left of the rally(about 5-8 people went in to talk). After their talking with them they came out and said it's time to head in. At this time it's about half way through 3rd period going onto 9:30. A lot of kids just went home, to the local iHop, or to some random place inside the school building, a lot of people didn't go back to their actual class, rather friend's classes.
Show and tell time:

Quote from: Local News paperSome 500 Minisink Valley students, many dressed in black, walked around the track at the athletic complex Monday morning to protest cuts being made in the school district.

Holding signs that say "Save Our Teachers" and "Cuts Hurt Us Too" the students began protesting about 7:30 a.m., ignoring orders to go into the building.

On Thursday Minisink Valley announced it will cut 31 teachers and support positions - about 10 percent of all district teaching positions, according to the Minisink Valley Teachers Association.
News paper photos: http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?url=/_flash/gallery/gallery.html&Avis=TH&Dato=20100322&Kategori=NEWS15&Lopenr=322009999&Ref=PH
[spoiler=Newspaper video]
[/spoiler]

Pictures:
[spoiler=Facing one way][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Facing the other][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Up at the parking lot][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Teacher amongst the crowed pretending to try and send us in]"You guys should really get to class."[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

"When [we] do it, we do it big."

0o!f

Doodle

Though I wouldn't protest that, it is kind of cool.
YEAH

IceFlinger

Thirdkoopa

I'd only protest depending mainly on who the teachers were; I know if it was a certain teacher from last year I'd be doing the exact opposite of protesting.

That being said I wish you all good luck and to keep strong at it. Most protests have a tenancy to not work.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Kilroy

A wonderful thing that will sadly do nothing.
1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT

Macawmoses

hey I'm going to be a teacher.

Unfortunately, our budget cuts aren't cutting teachers. Instead, they're making class sizes 25% larger here ^_^ And our printers use paper with printing on both sides.

L10

Quote from: Kilroy on March 22, 2010, 05:51:54 PM
A wonderful thing that will sadly do nothing.
We all know this already durp.
Which is why something should back it up(NOT another rally tomorrow)
I'm waiting for someone to take leadership again. Wait and see what the next meeting reveals.
Depending on what happens in the next few days/weeks I might try and actually take the leader position and take it all to Albany with other schools.
You and Colin are really getting on my nerves. If you want us to respect your opinion then you can respect ours.

Like I don't get it, you keep going for Ashley with super low chances yet you wont take a chance for our teachers?
One of my friends was telling me how he was able to just walk out of class because his teacher was so torn up, and he's always looking down at his desk...I passed him in the halls today, all he does is look down. I only saw him in the halls but my friend said he's a little worried he might go and do something stupid....

Quote from: King Richard on March 22, 2010, 05:55:53 PM
hey I'm going to be a teacher.

Unfortunately, our budget cuts aren't cutting teachers. Instead, they're making class sizes 25% larger here ^_^ And our printers use paper with printing on both sides.
Our teachers are the lowest paid of 17 districts and has more administration staff than any other school in the county.
0o!f

Kilroy

Quote from: L10 on March 22, 2010, 06:23:25 PM
We all know this already durp.
Which is why something should back it up(NOT another rally tomorrow)
I'm waiting for someone to take leadership again. Wait and see what the next meeting reveals.
Depending on what happens in the next few days/weeks I might try and actually take the leader position and take it all to Albany with other schools.
You and Colin are really getting on my nerves. If you want us to respect your opinion then you can respect ours.

Like I don't get it, you keep going for Ashley with super low chances yet you wont take a chance for our teachers?
One of my friends was telling me how he was able to just walk out of class because his teacher was so torn up, and he's always looking down at his desk...I passed him in the halls today, all he does is look down. I only saw him in the halls but my friend said he's a little worried he might go and do something stupid....

I know you guys know. I do respect your opinion. Voicing my own opinion does not mean that I am not respecting yours.

And there's a difference between trying for a girl and pulling money out of intercourse ing thin air to pay people. No matter what you do, no matter what anyone does, we can't pay the teachers. That's why we're cutting the god darned teachers. Do you think that I want the teachers gone? No, I don't.

Go ahead and try, all I'm saying is that it won't work.
1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT

L10

Quote from: Kilroy on March 22, 2010, 06:39:07 PM
I know you guys know. I do respect your opinion. Voicing my own opinion does not mean that I am not respecting yours.

And there's a difference between trying for a girl and pulling money out of intercourse ing thin air to pay people. No matter what you do, no matter what anyone does, we can't pay the teachers. That's why we're cutting the god darned teachers. Do you think that I want the teachers gone? No, I don't.

Go ahead and try, all I'm saying is that it won't work.
We know we can't pull money out of thin air either. Which is why we're saying, cut from everything else you can before our teachers.

This isn't all set in stone, they can still rethink what they're going to cut. They got to teachers because they didn't want to cut from anything else, but now with 600+ students input, maybe they'll rethink things on Thursday. If not, I smell a follow up. If things continue to go bad, I'm thinking of talking to people(yeah, I know some people) and try to get this to Albany. My mom told me there is already a small school fighting Albany.
0o!f

Dog Food

Quote from: L10 on March 22, 2010, 06:54:05 PM
We know we can't pull money out of thin air either. Which is why we're saying, cut from everything else you can before our teachers.

This isn't all set in stone, they can still rethink what they're going to cut. They got to teachers because they didn't want to cut from anything else, but now with 600+ students input, maybe they'll rethink things on Thursday. If not, I smell a follow up. If things continue to go bad, I'm thinking of talking to people(yeah, I know some people) and try to get this to Albany. My mom told me there is already a small school fighting Albany.
I admire you.

There's something unselfish that you believe in and you're stepping up to the challenge, even against the odds. That's really admirable. I hope you won't give up, and good luck on saving your teachers. I really hope it works out for you guys.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Turok

You fight for your friends teachers.

I admire you guys, I hope that you end up making a difference. If it had been at my old High School the lot of you would have been arrested or suspended.

Here, everything that wasn't sports was butchered.

[spoiler]
QuoteSo is it Capcom JPN or US screwing the PC release over? Both?
QuoteNUKE THEM FROM ORBIT, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE

PC GAMERS

If you don't give us what we want, we'll nuke you from orbit.
[/spoiler]

Kayo

Wow. That's a pretty good job there, you got the news and everything on it.

Also, right at the beginning, you said they were trying to get rid of aids. I believe you meant Aides, since a teacher's assistant is called an Aide. But your school could be working on cures for incurable STDs, in which case you got in the way of that. :U
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

L10

Quote from: K on March 23, 2010, 03:49:42 AM
Wow. That's a pretty good job there, you got the news and everything on it.

Also, right at the beginning, you said they were trying to get rid of aids. I believe you meant Aides, since a teacher's assistant is called an Aide. But your school could be working on cures for incurable STDs, in which case you got in the way of that. :U
Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed.
0o!f

Zero

Yeah its happening where I live too, yet you know, administrators come to school in their sports cars and school council members have salaries matching the senate's salaries because of bonuses that they give themselves for deciding what to put on our lunch menu.

God I hate people sometimes

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: Zero on March 23, 2010, 03:44:38 PM
Yeah its happening where I live too, yet you know, administrators come to school in their sports cars and school council members have salaries matching the senate's salaries because of bonuses that they give themselves for deciding what to put on our lunch menu.

God I hate people sometimes
I totally agree with you; Back in the US I just figured out that now they're having to make cutbacks, yet the highest university teachers on there are getting paid a bucketload for not doing much at all. I really hope the cutbacks don't affect the summer game making class here or I'll be screwed out of my summer job; Doubt it will but yeah.

Still it really sucks. At least I don't feel a bit like poop for knowing that my dad is actually putting most of his money he gets towards a good future rather than "LOOK AT MY NICE NEW SHINY CAR EVERYONE!"
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"