Main Menu

RetroN5 system

Started by Tupin, March 25, 2013, 01:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom

Quote from: zephilicious on March 27, 2013, 10:58:02 AM
sorry you cant differentiate argument and anger thats gotta make life hard

yeah what great arguments you're making
a fun system is coming out and you're just coming in this thread and you keep just talking about how great emulating games on your pc is (hey, everyone knows about emulation this isn't groundbreaking buddy)
man you're really showing everyone i'm not going to buy this convenient piece of hardware to play sega and snes games on now

also go read your old posts
still sounds bitter and upset over nothing
why are you even arguing in this thread
why do you even care

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

zephilicious

but youre not going to buy this hardware

not because i convinced you of anything but because its a pointless device. that was the argument.
~~ <3

Custom

Quote from: zephilicious on March 27, 2013, 11:10:21 AM
but youre not going to buy this hardware

not because i convinced you of anything but because its a pointless device. that was the argument.

why am i not going to buy this
i think it's a good idea
it's only $100 and the nes jess and I own hardly words and i really don't want to get another one of those
my sega is a pain to hook up and the visual quality is pretty bad due to me only having the old setup where you hook it through your cable and change it to channel 2 (no idea what that poop's called)
jess keeps the snes most of the time but if i had this i could play tetris attack and dkc1 often

it's pretty convenient
plus i don't have to keep switching around consoles anymore when i want to play something else

and if you reply saying "WELL YEAH YOU CAN DO ALL THIS ON YOUR PC" then you're bitter and upset about something friend
it's not your money, why do you care?

zephilicious

lets take a step back

Quote from: Custom on March 27, 2013, 10:43:33 AM
my pc can run everything but i'd rather play the real carts

why? what do carts do better?

I get the argument that the real thing is better, be it the physical aspect of it, or the nostalgia, or whatever, but as I see it, a fake console is no longer the real thing.

so then we're left with what? cost? convenience? legality?
~~ <3

Custom

Quote from: zephilicious on March 27, 2013, 11:34:41 AM
lets take a step back

why? what do carts do better?

I get the argument that the real thing is better, be it the physical aspect of it, or the nostalgia, or whatever, but as I see it, a fake console is no longer the real thing.

so then we're left with what? cost? convenience? legality?

it's not that carts are better, it's more that they're the real deal.

it's called i have 80 snes and genesis carts laying around and i don't want them to just sit on my shelf
plus this is easier for me
you may love mapping your controllers and finding emulators that don't completely intercourse  up the sound of games (snes9x sucks my dick) but i'd rather just buy something and hit an on switch (before you get mad we're just assuming the RetroN5 system does in fact play these games perfectly it might end up being poop who knows until it comes out)

i also like the idea of having a collection and putting it to use
same reason i like cds and vinyls
nobody is going to be impressed when you show them 30,000 songs on winamp, anyone can download poop
but a cool record collection is a cool record collection

i didn't throw all of my cds away when itunes came out
i'm not going to throw all my carts away that i still enjoy playing

zephilicious

Quote from: Custom on March 27, 2013, 11:47:58 AM
same reason i like cds and vinyls

perfect lets use that metaphor.

now maybe this doesnt apply to you, but most people that collect cds, rip them to their computer once, then stick them on a shelf. they still have the cd and a nice collection to show off, but they dont actually use the cd to listen to music. same goes for vinyl with ripping replaced by download codes, or illegal methods for older records.

i treat video games the same way. I've got a shelf full of old games, and all the consoles hooked up to an old crt for that authentic experience. and sure, sometimes my friends and I will turn them on for the nostalgic novelty of it. but most of the time, if i want to play an snes game, even if its one i own, i'm going to opt for the convenience of booting up an emulator on the computer im already sitting at and play it there.

i dont see how that discounts the value of my collection.
~~ <3

Custom

Quote from: zephilicious on March 27, 2013, 12:01:18 PM
perfect lets use that metaphor.

now maybe this doesnt apply to you, but most people that collect cds, rip them to their computer once, then stick them on a shelf. they still have the cd and a nice collection to show off, but they dont actually use the cd to listen to music. same goes for vinyl with ripping replaced by download codes, or illegal methods for older records.

i treat video games the same way. I've got a shelf full of old games, and all the consoles hooked up to an old crt for that authentic experience. and sure, sometimes my friends and I will turn them on for the nostalgic novelty of it. but most of the time, if i want to play an snes game, even if its one i own, i'm going to opt for the convenience of booting up an emulator on the computer im already sitting at and play it there.

i dont see how that discounts the value of my collection.

ok but i like to play them on the consoles

Custom

also i bought a newish vinyl player from target

Zero

emulation has its perks man

N64 games freeze up all the time. Not when you emulate them. Also better textures.

I'm regurgitating information I've already said, but really, this argument is dumb.

Custom

Quote from: Z on March 27, 2013, 01:01:06 PM
emulation has its perks man

N64 games freeze up all the time. Not when you emulate them. Also better textures.

I'm regurgitating information I've already said, but really, this argument is dumb.

i'm not saying i've never emulated anything before or something dumb like that
i'm aware
i just don't care
i like playing on consoles better
i don't know what to tell you

zephilicious

Quote from: Custom on March 27, 2013, 01:07:48 PM
i like playing on consoles better

im just trying to figure out why

i get the authenticity argument, but in my mind that wouldnt carry over to a fake console
~~ <3

Custom

Quote from: zephilicious on March 27, 2013, 01:13:48 PM
im just trying to figure out why

i get the authenticity argument, but in my mind that wouldnt carry over to a fake console

it does for me
i dunno
i guess as long as i'm still using the carts it feels authentic and i don't really care about things like the nes becuase all of my components for it are broken
i'd rather use a better 3rd party console than the official console with like a poopty 3rd party controller or like a broken standard controller

i'd rather play sonic adventure on gamecube than on steam or dreamcast, but i still play all the versions
i'm just a weird guy

The Riddler

hi
collector here
playing a game on an emulator is not the same as playing it on a poopty old tv with it's original controller after blowing in the cartridge.

may sound silly but the nostalgia is worth it.

only time i use emulators is for games i can't obtain due to money constraints/no english version, and even then i'm looking into reproduction carts

Zero

Quote from: The Riddler on March 27, 2013, 03:25:48 PM
hi
collector here
playing a game on an emulator is not the same as playing it on a poopty old tv with it's original controller after blowing in the cartridge.

Scanning through the thread, I can't see anyone actually claiming the contrary man.

From a technical standpoint, something like ZSNES is superior. That's pretty much the only vibe I see that resembles anything like opposition to what you guys are saying.

And I agree with it. ZSNES can simulate scanlines. Not having a cart just means you're saving time getting the darn game to work.

zephilicious

Quote from: The Riddler on March 27, 2013, 03:25:48 PM
hi
collector here
the only one of those things you cant do with an emulator is the last one.

but really, i agree. the point is you're losing most of that with a fake console, and if you're going with a fake console because its a little more convenient or whatever why not go all the way?
~~ <3