Started by Lotos, March 31, 2013, 09:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom

i think they're mediocre compared to mario and sonic games
i'd put like mario and sonic in the greats and put dkc in the "okay"
i guess read what i said to kayo
i just don't think these games are good, they just feel eh to me

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Zero

Sonic games are quite literally "spin dash and hold right to win" bro. I like Sonic games, but the first Sonic game is pretty meh. Everyone knows the franchise didn't really kick off until Sonic 2 and even then, the level design in that game gets worse as it goes on.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles on the other hand, is pretty consistent with its quality, its just that there isn't much point to exploring levels at all like in games like Mario or DKC. I can easily think of a few flaws in the original Sonic series wheras I can't for DKC.

-You're constantly being timed in these games. It's rather arbitrary because you can usually beat an Act in less than 3 minutes with the exception of a few if you aren't adept. Either way, exploration is heavily discouraged. No secrets to figure out, so you're better off just spin dashing like mad through a level. It works if you time jumps correctly.
-Bosses aren't interesting EVER and don't tell me that they are, they're all just variations of Robotnik's death machines and share the same colors(Grey, yellow, black, and red).
-Tails and other furry friends

DKC is a slower game, so there's more to appreciate over all. There is a nice cozy feeling when playing these games. It's the same feeling I get when I play Dragon Quest, Earthbound, or Mario World. Sonic is all about going as fast as possible and getting emeralds. Two very different platformer series, that to be honest, is hard to compare.

Custom

i think the bosses in sonic are just as good as the bosses in dkc1&2
also i don't like slow platformers, i like poop like super meat boy. but that's not even a thing here. i can appreciate any kind of platformers. i just don't think the snes donkey country games are good at all.
i do think donkey kong country returns is good

Kayo

Quote from: AdamSakuru on April 16, 2013, 09:54:01 PM
I don't know many off the top of my head, but I have a few examples I remember for sure;

DKC: In one of the bonus levels (I believe in Vine Valley), you start in front of a large gap that you clearly cannot just jump across. You see some Necky's lined up very close together. So you roll into the first, get carried onwards onto the rest, as you hit more, they are spaced further away from eachother. But because you're moving so fast, you hit them and make it across safely. I always thought this was pretty smart because they incorporated the character moving faster into the enemy placement to give you a nice transition from one end of the bonus room to the other.
I think their intention was to do a chain jump.

QuoteDKC: I'm very certain that Temple Tempest (and generally any level in a DKC game that requires you to run from something oncoming) had a few sections where the enemy placement was designed to get you across a certain section faster than if you were just running.
That is THE only land-based level in the series that fits that bill, I think, except for the last 20 seconds of Rambi Rumble, which doesn't really count since the rolling mechanics don't carry over when you're on the rhino. But still, it's not like you're required to roll. If you gain a small amount of speed, you gain a small amount of speed. But in the first game only, every time DK or Diddy finishes rolling, he'll stop for a split second to steady himself before you can keep moving, and that completely balances it out.

QuoteDKC 2: Right at the beginning of Mainbrace Mayhem, there is a sloped platform with like 5 of the squeaks walking down it. When you roll into the first one, you'll go into the next, and so on until you reach the top of the slope.

I'm sure there are more examples, I'd just have to play the games again to know.
There are like eight, and it very plainly gives you a reinforced barrel right there; think you're supposed to roll the barrel into them to demonstrate the way they barrel (pun unintended) through enemies. Again, it's really hard to say that they designed portions of the game specifically for that feature, since there really is no instance where it's required.

When all is said and done I think the primary reason you gain speed is so you're more likely to hit a second, third, (and so on) enemy and get a bigger combo.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Kayo

Quote from: Custom on April 16, 2013, 09:59:22 PM
gonna try to reply to both of you

i try to compare it to mario becuase those are older platformers that i got into later in life (Like, I didn't really play Super Mario Bros 3 till middle school and 2 till like high school.)
i grew up on sonic, he was my main man. also, I did play DKC as a kid, but it was the GBC port. Even then I remember playing it often but not liking the game much. I also thought it looked really ugly back then (but it might have been due to the gbc one not looking that hot)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvYI5NhkUW8
this port
Yeah I'm going to really strongly disagree on you here, DKC had great graphics especially for the SNES era. And if your main experience with the game was the GBC port, then you should have honestly started with that before you went on about the graphics. Because that really changed everything. The graphics style of the DKC series didn't really transfer well to a 150-pixel screen.

Quotealthough i feel like the boss battles are the best in the second game, they're kind of easy in the first
The first game had much simpler bosses, but that's kind of true in a lot of games; as the series progresses, the developers come up with more complex enemies and bosses.

Quotealso i feel like dkc2 forces you to use the animals way more than the first one, which i don't really like
2 and especially 3, really evident by the new "transformation barrels" that turn you INTO the animal (meaning you can actually take damage instead of being knocked off the animal and you can't voluntarily go back to controlling the Kongs)

But I actually kind of like that, since it's sort of a new challenge--you play some levels where you're required to control an animal instead of DK and Diddy for the entire duration, and you have to adjust to how they handle, etc.

Quotealso it makes you keep both partners for like half the secrets, which i feel like dkc1 didn't really do
DKC didn't do that at all, since teaming up wasn't introduced until DKC2. There were some secrets that almost (but not quite) required a certain Kong to reach (especially in the GBA port when they added the photo album--this led to DK being required because of his Ground Slap) but there was no "team-throwing" like in the other two.

Quoteto me it seems like dkc1 is far less gimmicky than the rest of the games, and i like that
Probably, but 2 and 3 had more levels, for one, so the added "gimmick" levels really tend to serve as a break from the same stuff over and over again. I could always make a list of gimmick stages and just see how they stack up, but it's pretty subjective what counts as a gimmick and what doesn't. Like, there are some enemies and features that only appear in a single level, but they're really prominent there (RockKrocs in Stop & Go Station and elevators in Elevator Antics) and then there are levels that are complete gimmicks, like Blackout Basement or the windy levels: Gusty Glade (DKC2), Windy Well (DKC2), and Ripcurl Reef (DKC3[GBA]).

Quote from: Z on April 17, 2013, 07:31:22 AM
also custom you disappoint me

Practically every level throws something new at you in DKC2 and 3. 1 relies a bit too much on bouncy tires, I'll admit. Hitbox detection is something that I can't say I've had a real problem with either(this is coming from someone who has 100%'d all three games and has done multiple speed runs), but of course I've thought that the last boss in DKC1's crown didn't hit me when it actually did. Perhaps you kids are being poor sports?

There is so much variety in everything about Donkey Kong Country 2 in particular that I can't think of a single platformer that has better locations or more variety.

honestly if you don't like these games but like platformers I just don't understand you
Really this.

Also, that darn crown tends to blend in with all the crap on the ship.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Custom

i played dkc on gbc as a kid but it wasn't my main experience
i've played all the games on the snes as well (well except 3 i played that one via OTHER MEANS)
i didn't like the games as a kid
i think they're okay now
just not anywhere near fantastic or as good as everyone seems to say they are

Custom

also i'd like to point out that i think that banjo tooie could be better than mario 64
i haven't played it but it looks much harder and more interesting than kazooie

Zero

Quote from: Custom on April 17, 2013, 11:23:55 AM
i do think donkey kong country returns is good

The motion controls make it a lot less enjoyable than it could be man, I quit playing that stinker of a game after the first hour or so. What's so good about it? What makes it better than the original games?

Quote from: Custom on April 17, 2013, 11:23:55 AM
i think the bosses in sonic are just as good as the bosses in dkc1&2

There just isn't much variety until you get to games like Sonic 3 or S&K and then you already have rehashing going on. Shit like Mecha Sonic or Robotnik's death pinball machine get old bro. They really used a robot replica of sonic like three intercourse ing times in those games between Sonic 1 and Sonic CD. You can beat most of Robotnik's machines in less than 20 seconds, 8 seconds if you're really good and its something like Emerald Hill zone or Angel Island Zone's boss, or the lumberjackbot boss from S&K. Idk man I just don't see how they're anywhere near the boss cast of DKC2 and DKC3. DKC1 maybe, because theyre all just giant versions of enemies in the game, but DKC2 has a possessed sword, a ghost of a pirate bird you killed earlier, a giant wasp you run away from as a Rhino and fight as a parrot, a huge kremling with a club that looks suspiciously similar to a character you already know, and the final boss fight with a even more powerful K.Rool screams with intensity. There are fewer bosses, but each of them are FAR more memorable than anything not being a final boss in any Sonic game man.

Co-op in Sonic is terrible. Co-op in DKC is a good time. Two player competitive in Sonic is terrible. Two player competitive in DKC is a good time.

Quote from: Custom on April 17, 2013, 01:14:50 PM
also i'd like to point out that i think that banjo tooie could be better than mario 64

Tooie is a lot more interesting yeah, but Mario 64 is still better.

Neerb

Quote from: Custom on April 17, 2013, 01:14:50 PM

Tooie is the best game ever made.