News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

Wii U Launch Part 2: Rayman Legends

Started by Neerb, September 03, 2013, 07:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neerb

Okay, so this is ported to other consoles too, but it's REALLY a Wii U game. And it's FINALLY out today!

I've played through a couple levels already; it's pretty awesome so far, as expected. There are also something like 30 Rayman Origins stages you can unlock through random scratch cards, which is cool. And if you have played that Wii U Rayman Challenge App, you get a free costume.

That said, the reason Rayman Origins was one of the funnest games I've ever played was primarily because I 4-player co-oped the entire thing (well, ALMOST the entire thing; we didn't get to the secret final boss) with my friends, so Rayman Legends won't really come out in earnest until we get 5-player chaos going.

zephilicious

Quote from: Neerb on September 03, 2013, 07:52:13 AM
Okay, so this is ported to other consoles too, but it's REALLY a Wii U game because I spent a lot of money on a console with no games and this is how I justify it to myself.
~~ <3

Custom

Quote from: zephilicious on September 03, 2013, 08:19:39 AM

well it was supposed to be a nintendo exclusive
they just decided to intercourse  people who bought a wii u over
intercourse  ubisoft they never made anything good anyway

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Zero

Quote from: zephilicious on September 03, 2013, 08:19:39 AM

You know that people went out and bought a Wii U, expecting Legends to remain exclusive. It was a dick move on Ubisoft's part, but they'll probably see more money from the game now.

What boggles my mind is why they didn't just release the Wii U version when it was ready.

zephilicious

Quote from: Custom on September 03, 2013, 08:27:05 AM
they just decided to intercourse  people who bought a wii u over

Quote from: Zero on September 03, 2013, 09:58:35 AM
You know that people went out and bought a Wii U, expecting Legends to remain exclusive.

theses people are idiots and developers don't owe them anything.

If I was a developer, saw an early version of the wii u, got real excited and stated developing an awesome  exclusive game for it, just to find out that nintendo couldn't advertise the thing for poop and no one was buying it, I'd be pretty mad and change my mind too.
~~ <3

Tupin

yeah, except that doesn't exactly build a devoted fanbase

plus then you've got devs who wouldn't give any Nintendo system a chance based on name alone

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Zero

Quote from: zephilicious on September 03, 2013, 11:03:34 AM
theses people are idiots and developers don't owe them anything.

If I was a developer, saw an early version of the wii u, got real excited and stated developing an awesome  exclusive game for it, just to find out that nintendo couldn't advertise the thing for poop and no one was buying it, I'd be pretty mad and change my mind too.

It's a catch 22. The console will not sell without exclusive games but no one develops games for it because it is not selling. Not advertising enough? I've seen television commercials and the Wii U was on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon a few times. Gamestop clerks constantly recommend Wii U software to pre-order. It's even on their receipts. Game informer ads. Nintendo Directs. A dedicated software section at most retailers, complete with advertisements all over the video game section. What more can you do? Not much else.

I know that business is partially about minimizing risks, but that doesn't mean they didn't tell their initial supporters "Fuck you". It doesn't matter that they didn't owe them anything, they still pushed back the release of a highly anticipated game only so they could release all versions of the game at the same time. I don't buy it that it wasn't ready for release either. It's their choice and their right but it doesn't mean it isn't a dick move.

zephilicious

Not how much they're advertising, but how they're advertising.

They can say look at us we've got an expensive new console all they want, but they haven't convinced any one, particularly the new market that made the wii so successful) that this console does anything that they're last console didn't or even that it's a new console in the first place.

Nintendo consoles sell because they're cheap and have strong first party titles. So far the Wii U meets neither of those criteria.
~~ <3

Zero

Fair enough. I suppose I'm thinking from a non-casual perspective. If I was the original Wii audience I wouldn't really "get" the Wii U and why it cost as much as it did.

Just goes to show how important naming your console is. People would understand it better if it was a "2" and not a "U".

It's funny how people will throw down 2000 dollars for a poopty Macbook but don't understand the pricing behind game consoles.

EDIT: lol "costed". I need more sleep.

Custom

the game is best on wii u due to touch stuff being poopty on 360/ps3 and a portion of levels being missing from vita version so oh well

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Super

Quote from: Custom on September 05, 2013, 09:04:44 AM
the game is best on wii u due to touch stuff being poopty on 360/ps3 and a portion of levels being missing from vita version so oh well
Missing levels from the Vita version are returning in an update.

Neerb

So I actually did get to play with some friends, finally, and it's totally awesome. Five-player is super hectic and makes is way more fun, especially since we found out that 5-player isn't just 4 platformers and one touch-screen assistant; you can actually have 5 platformers all running together too.

I've beaten the 5 main worlds, though not 100% and not on all of the "Invasion" challenges, and now I'm going back and forth between the final 6th world and the 5 remade Origins worlds (which are so long they almost double the game). The themes are cool; they brought back a fiery food world like in Origins, but with a Mexican twist, and there's a Greek level too. Won't spoil the 6th world, but suffice to say it's awesome and a perfect end-gamer, though again I'm not finished with it.