News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 announced for DS!

Started by Hero_of_Darkness, February 25, 2012, 05:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Remember how G/S were "sequels" to R/B?

What if B2/W2 introduces a new region with new towns and gyms, that ends in the same Pokemon League area... which opens up on the other side into Unova? I mean, Unova was BY FAR the shortest and most linear region we've had in the main series. We need more.

I want some thoughts on this.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Neerb

I highly doubt we'll see a whole new region, and I doubt even more strongly that we'll get to re-explore an old region. It's just a fancier version of Gray designed to make Nintendo twice as much money; we'll certainly get a new area, but it'll be a small Unova Frontier at most, imo. Granted, the fact that these are sequels instead of "new definitive editions" is interesting, but I don't imagine the story will take us over seas or too far inland.

Kayo

Quote from: The True Nicolas Cage on April 02, 2012, 06:59:01 PM
I highly doubt we'll see a whole new region, and I doubt even more strongly that we'll get to re-explore an old region. It's just a fancier version of Gray designed to make Nintendo twice as much money; we'll certainly get a new area, but it'll be a small Unova Frontier at most, imo. Granted, the fact that these are sequels instead of "new definitive editions" is interesting, but I don't imagine the story will take us over seas or too far inland.
I REALLY hope we at least get a significant extension of Unova. When I think of this, the Sevii Islands come to mind. Seven new towns and 10-15 new routes. Even that much would be great, and I see absolutely no reason why they can't do that.

But Unova just isn't enough. I wouldn't mind playing through it again, but it's just.... linear. I prefer the intersecting paths, multiple routes, and cities with four exits that we've had in every generation so far (Except Gen II on the latter). It's just a straight line from city to city, and once you're done with one place you move on to the next. You never go back, except maybe once IIRC, to a town once you've left it.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Flying Chickens

Quote from: Kayo on April 02, 2012, 07:11:35 PM
I REALLY hope we at least get a significant extension of Unova. When I think of this, the Sevii Islands come to mind. Seven new towns and 10-15 new routes. Even that much would be great, and I see absolutely no reason why they can't do that.

But Unova just isn't enough. I wouldn't mind playing through it again, but it's just.... linear. I prefer the intersecting paths, multiple routes, and cities with four exits that we've had in every generation so far (Except Gen II on the latter). It's just a straight line from city to city, and once you're done with one place you move on to the next. You never go back, except maybe once IIRC, to a town once you've left it.
This. Even if you don't specifically go back for a story reason or anything, it's still nice to wander through a long route then suddenly see that Snorlax that was blocking your path three gym leaders ago. That kind of intersection. The little things.

Kayo

Quote from: Flying Chickens on April 02, 2012, 09:24:11 PM
This. Even if you don't specifically go back for a story reason or anything, it's still nice to wander through a long route then suddenly see that Snorlax that was blocking your path three gym leaders ago. That kind of intersection. The little things.
But like R/S had you revisiting old towns that you haven't been in since the beginning of the game and stuff like that.

First of all, you visit Mauville City before each of your two adventures to the far north of the region. Tiny little town, but it was a nice little place to stock up on supplies at twice. You can also open up a tunnel in Verdanturf town nearby and get another glance at your first major city--Rustboro. Plus, the second time you're in Mauville, Wattson has another little mission for you.

After the fourth gym, you're taken back to Petalburg City, one of the first towns you ever walk into. You can also go back and explore the water routes you zipped by in Mr. Briney's boat while you're in the neighborhood.

You visit the Berry Master's home on Route 123 and get free berries. Then you go all the way around this corner of Hoenn until you get to Mt. Pyre, where you can optionally take a one-way trip back down Route 123 and... get free berries again.

And, then, the more heated moments in the story take you all the way back to places like Slateport City.

Unova was a smaller region, so you'd think they'd reuse towns for more parts in the story. They did the opposite. Once you get a badge and leave a town... you never go back there again. It's sad.

[move][/move]

zephilicious

or you know you go back to catch pokemon and train and rematch trainers and all that other poop you play pokemon for
~~ <3

Kayo

Quote from: zephilicious on April 03, 2012, 12:59:49 AM
or you know you go back to catch pokemon and train and rematch trainers and all that other poop you play pokemon for
You can't rematch trainers in B/W, and most people either catch all a route's Pokemon on their first trip to the route or wait until after the E4.
[move][/move]

zephilicious

Quote from: Kayo on April 03, 2012, 10:54:23 AM
after the E4.

this is when the game really starts so theres no problem with that
~~ <3

Kayo

Quote from: zephilicious on April 03, 2012, 02:25:55 PM
this is when the game really starts so theres no problem with that
I'm choosing to not take you seriously and instead laugh quietly to myself.

Also mentioning that B/W has surprisingly little replay value compared to Pt/HGSS.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Kayo on April 03, 2012, 07:19:35 PM
I'm choosing to not take you seriously and instead laugh quietly to myself.

Also mentioning that B/W has surprisingly little replay value compared to Pt/HGSS.
Zeph has already made it more than clear that his ideal Pokemon game would be a sandbox with no story at all. Or maybe an MMO.

Yeah, B/W had nothing left after beating Cynthia and the league a second time really.

Flying Chickens

Quote from: Kayo on April 02, 2012, 09:54:25 PM
But like R/S had you revisiting old towns that you haven't been in since the beginning of the game and stuff like that.

First of all, you visit Mauville City before each of your two adventures to the far north of the region. Tiny little town, but it was a nice little place to stock up on supplies at twice. You can also open up a tunnel in Verdanturf town nearby and get another glance at your first major city--Rustboro. Plus, the second time you're in Mauville, Wattson has another little mission for you.

After the fourth gym, you're taken back to Petalburg City, one of the first towns you ever walk into. You can also go back and explore the water routes you zipped by in Mr. Briney's boat while you're in the neighborhood.

You visit the Berry Master's home on Route 123 and get free berries. Then you go all the way around this corner of Hoenn until you get to Mt. Pyre, where you can optionally take a one-way trip back down Route 123 and... get free berries again.

And, then, the more heated moments in the story take you all the way back to places like Slateport City.

Unova was a smaller region, so you'd think they'd reuse towns for more parts in the story. They did the opposite. Once you get a badge and leave a town... you never go back there again. It's sad.
What? I was talking about Black and White. Ruby and Sapphire were never in question.

zephilicious

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on April 03, 2012, 07:39:31 PM
Zeph has already made it more than clear that his ideal Pokemon game would be a sandbox with no story at all. Or maybe an MMO.

Yeah, B/W had nothing left after beating Cynthia and the league a second time really.

not entirely,

the point is that complaining that the game only forces you to go through each location once is only relevant if you only play through what the game forces on you (i.e. a tiny percentage of what pokemon offers)
~~ <3

The Riddler

Is it wrong of me to still want an MMO for Pokemon? I could see it as super intercourse ing expansive with each region and I can absolutely see it drawing a massive crowd.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: The Riddler on April 04, 2012, 12:50:51 AM
Is it wrong of me to still want an MMO for Pokemon? I could see it as super intercourse ing expansive with each region and I can absolutely see it drawing a massive crowd.
I can't really wrap my head around how it would work in terms of balance. It would likely need its own battle and stat systems and to be incompatible with other games.

zephilicious

The existing pokemon formula is not even close to something that can work as an MMO.
~~ <3