News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 announced for DS!

Started by Hero_of_Darkness, February 25, 2012, 05:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zephilicious

black and white does exactly one thing different in giving the bad guys a believable motivation
it has exactly zero effect on gameplay
~~ <3

The Riddler

pokemon has seriously never been about the story. zeph is right there.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: zephilicious on March 03, 2012, 08:36:17 PM
black and white does exactly one thing different in giving the bad guys a believable motivation
it has exactly zero effect on gameplay
Story generally doesn't effect gameplay directly.

zephilicious

~~ <3

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: zephilicious on March 04, 2012, 12:41:28 AM
poopty stories maybe
Name a game that you consider to be about story and explain the difference.

Flying Chickens

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 04, 2012, 01:05:14 AM
Name a game that you consider to be about story and explain the difference.
I had a long, well written out post that explained it, but my computer just deleted it for some reason. So I'll summarize it.

Mass Effect, Bioshock, Uncharted, Batman Arkham City, Kingdom Hearts (depending on your viewpoint, since it is essentially an over-the-top Japanese pile of insanity, but still a game about story), The Final Fantasy series, etc.
Gameplay is essentially a delivery technique for story. They're the equivalent of verbs in literature.

zephilicious

My issues with story in pokemon really extend to all video games. Video games are in general a terrible medium for storytelling.

fortunately there are games like pokemon that dont rely on story. these are good games, but playing them for story is nonsensical.
~~ <3

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Flying Chickens on March 04, 2012, 02:18:35 AM
I had a long, well written out post that explained it, but my computer just deleted it for some reason. So I'll summarize it.

Mass Effect, Bioshock, Uncharted, Batman Arkham City, Kingdom Hearts (depending on your viewpoint, since it is essentially an over-the-top Japanese pile of insanity, but still a game about story), The Final Fantasy series, etc.
Gameplay is essentially a delivery technique for story. They're the equivalent of verbs in literature.
Uncharted is a movie, and the rest use story in the same way as any other game; to set up setting, progression, and characters, as well as to explain gameplay elements. Sorry, but I really don't see it. The all seem to have story developed around gameplay, not the other way around.

The Riddler

Quote from: zephilicious on March 04, 2012, 03:25:16 AM
My issues with story in pokemon really extend to all video games. Video games are in general a terrible medium for storytelling.

fortunately there are games like pokemon that dont rely on story. these are good games, but playing them for story is nonsensical.
this time you're wrong.

zephilicious

Whatever handful of exceptions you happen to like doesnt change the fact that 99% of story driven games completely separate story from gameplay, using gameplay only as a crutch to prolong the experience and create tension by forcing the player to play through unrelated and irrelevant gameplay segments just to find out what happens next.

If the same story can be told just as well in a fraction of the time in any other medium, then the game is not the right medium through which to tell the story.
~~ <3

Kayo

I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Corocoro is starting to leak. There will be info or pictures.

Kayo

Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 will be compatible with the Pokemon Global Link.

Which will be down for some time in the month of June in order to renovate the site to accommodate the new games, according to Serebii.

And we're looking at a North American release this fall from what I've heard.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 11, 2012, 05:12:04 PM
And we're looking at a North American release this fall from what I've heard.
I posted that already. It's on the official site.

dat boxart