News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

"Grower" Songs

Started by RX-78-2, January 15, 2010, 09:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RX-78-2

For those who don't know, a "grower" song (sometimes called "sleeper," I believe), is a song that the listener at first does not like, is unsure about, or likes a little, but after listening to it many more times over a long period of time, decides that they like the song very much. The term "grower" can also be applied to albums, books, movies, and other media and entertainment.

Example: let's say that you just heard the song "Paranoid" for the first time and you decide that it's "okay"; tolerable, pretty good, maybe not your "cup of tea." However, for whatever reason, you listen to it again. Then again the next day. Then again the next day, week, etc. After repeated hearings of the song, you find that you can fully appreciate it now and enjoy it very much.

So, has this ever happened to any of you? Post your "growers" and discuss what happened with them. Posting random YouTube videos of the song is encouraged (high quality please). If you want, we can listen to all of them a few times and have a contest (probably in a follow-up thread) to find the best one.

Personally, I think the best way to determine if a song is a grower or not is to listen to it once every day for a week, maybe leaving out two days and listening to it twice in a row one one or two of those days.

Anyway, (there are too many for AFI, my favorite band :/) my growers are:

Strangely catchy and like the rest of the album, cold. I liked it at first, but it got much better after a while. Actually, the AFI albums Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes and Black Sails in the Sunset were grower albums for me, but now they're both awesome.The same goes for a few other songs on Decemberunderground, but "37mm" is overall my favorite.

Heard it on GH 5; thought it was okay and unique. I kept playing it, and now it's great.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Titus Andronicus

all of neutral milk hotel did this to me

the devil and god are raging inside me did as well
Tramps like us, baby we were born to die.

RX-78-2

I just looked up that album and see that it's by Brand New, who I have heard one song of from (sadly) GH 5. I've only heard "Sowing Season," but it's great. That was sort of a grower for me, but I've always liked it, just even more after a while. I'll have to look into them, as well as Neutral Milk Hotel.

Titus Andronicus

Quote from: TerribleFrog 39 on January 16, 2010, 11:15:28 PM
I just looked up that album and see that it's by Brand New, who I have heard one song of from (sadly) GH 5. I've only heard "Sowing Season," but it's great. That was sort of a grower for me, but I've always liked it, just even more after a while. I'll have to look into them, as well as Neutral Milk Hotel.
I'm impressed by your effort and will therefore use actual grammar here.

If you're gonna look into more Brand New, it's easiest to get into Deja Entendu, but The Devil and God is definitely their best. Your Favorite Weapon is more teenage pop punk rage and etc. but it's still incredibly enjoyable. Daisy is... eh, everyone has their own opinion.

As far as Neutral Milk Hotel, Aeroplane Over the Sea is their best album. As far as I know, it's their only one. I mean, there are more, but I don't like them. Aeroplane Over The Sea is considered a masterpiece, but it's also considered a bunch of bullpoop. So it's really up to you.

Mystic

Speechless by MJ. Still barely like it, but I no longer hate it. And it only took a couple years >_>

RX-78-2

Quote from: Titus Andronicus on January 17, 2010, 02:05:12 PM
I'm impressed by your effort and will therefore use actual grammar here.

If you're gonna look into more Brand New, it's easiest to get into Deja Entendu, but The Devil and God is definitely their best. Your Favorite Weapon is more teenage pop punk rage and etc. but it's still incredibly enjoyable. Daisy is... eh, everyone has their own opinion.

As far as Neutral Milk Hotel, Aeroplane Over the Sea is their best album. As far as I know, it's their only one. I mean, there are more, but I don't like them. Aeroplane Over The Sea is considered a masterpiece, but it's also considered a bunch of bullpoop. So it's really up to you.
Thanks. I'll let you know what I think once I've listened to them. Also, I'm very into "teenage pop punk rage," which is related to emotional hardcore; otherwise known as "emo."

I just thought of some grower songs that I used to hate but now love. They include:

• "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple (Actually hated it, then loved it.)
  • "Foreplay/Long Time" by Boston (Same as one before.)
  • "More Than a Feeling" by Boston (Same as one before.)
  • "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi (It became average at best.)
  • "18 and Life" by Skid Row (Hated then liked.)
  • "I Ran (So Far Away?)" by Flock of Seagulls
  • "Crazy on You" by Heart
  • "Barracuda" by Heart (Hated then liked.)
  • "I Love Rock and Roll" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (Hated then liked.)
  • The Jimmy Buffet songs that I've heard. I used to not like him, but he's okay.

[I wrote this post in two sittings; I had it saved before I posted.]
I just listened to In the Aeroplane over the Sea and The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. The former is very unique. The singer is definitely different, but I still like him. He's also vocally skilled. The lyrics can get pretty weird though, but they're usually good. The latter is also unique and one of the saddest, darkest albums I've ever heard. I don't think I heard any happiness or upbeat... "ness" in it at all. It's a great album though.

My favorite songs on In the Aeroplane over the Sea are probably "In the Aeroplane over the Sea," "Holland, 1945," "Oh Comely," and "Ghost." My favorite songs on The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me are probably "Millstone," "Limousine (MS Rebridge)," "You Won't Know," "Welcome to Bangkok," and "Not the Sun."

I'm still listening to Deja Entendu, but I'll get back to you on that.

Titus Andronicus

I turned someone onto more good music. Because of this, I am very happy. :)

RX-78-2

Quote from: Titus Andronicus on January 21, 2010, 12:16:19 AM
I turned someone onto more good music. Because of this, I am very happy. :)
Me too. :) I think it's very flattering when someone listens to your music and likes it. I know that's how I feel, anyway.

Eizweir

Whenever one of the bands I like turn out a new album it takes me sometime to get used to the new style, but I soon really like it.  Sonata Arctica's new album, The Days of Grays, would be a good example.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/xluxaeternax

formerly: Marth Xero, Xero, Roy Khan, Diego Armando, Lux Aeterna, and more I forget it was like 11 years ago jeeze

Light

Everything on Kings of Leon's "Only By the Night". I despised it at first; now one of my favorite albums.
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.