News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

A Ryan's VC Review: MegaMan

Started by Nayrman, August 30, 2008, 09:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

Premise, Gameplay, Graphics, Sound, Overall Entertainment, "In one sentance"

Yep, due to lack of anything worthwhile to play on any system at the current time...until LittleBig Planet comes out in two months, I've decided to download and play some Virtual Console games, and since I'd have a lack of anything to review at the current time as well, I thought I'd combine efforts, so cue the AVGN theme, here I go with a VC review of Megaman.

Premise: Run around, shoot stuff, destroy evil robots, who the intercourse  cares this is an NES game there was never any real "premise" or story to the games. Run, shoot, that's all you need to know.
NES/10 - meaning, there was no story outside the instruction book...so really X_X;;

Gameplay: As noted in the previous section, this is an NES game, so in all honesty there isn't a ton to really do other than some (rather irratating) platforming and doing a ton of shooting to enemies. Much like Mario and the old Sonic games, simplicity was the good thing. The power up system of defeated bosses is cool...if they actually did anything other than have their minor uses. Megaman also plays like an old game as well, meaning there isn't a reason to play this game for a long period of time. It's fun for a level or two but quickly wears out it's welcome. That is my only major problem in the gameplay department. The only other thing to note is that since it's on the VC, there are going to be some control issues and some minor glitches, but that's expected of all VC games since they weren't meant to play this way. It doesn't happen often, but usually at critical moments.

Now I'm going to a little bit of discussion about the difficulty. Megaman games have always been known for having slightly harder difficulty than most other games, which is a good thing at times, but also suffers from some odd design choices as well. This game falls into the borderline of good challenge and bullpoop difficulty. There are some pretty unfair parts (the floating shooting platforms with shooting enemies in Iceman...c'mon thats uncalled for!), but nothing that isn't overcomeable. All in all it makes you realize how easy modern gaming has gotten. Besides Ninja Gaiden, no game has been this challenging in a while. Developers take note, make games difficult again!

-It's Gutsman! *DAH DAH!*

Graphics: It's really difficult to really rate or review a game this old. Everything looks fine, and the glitches can mess up the graphics a bit, but in all honesty there is no room to complain. I mean it's an NES game, as long as you can tell what stuff is who really cares? X_X;; There is some wierd phazing effect at times, but again, it isn't that big of a deal.

-the only easy part about Iceman X_X;;

Sound: This is another part thats sort of hard to review merely because it's so old. I mean, it gets that nostalgia factor that most old games get. Megaman has some of the most memorable music from the classic generations along with Mario, Zelda, and Sonic. Usually it's tough to make 8-bit music catchy and not annoying, but it manages to pull it off without to much trouble. Some themes are better than others (Gutsman's music is terrible).

Overall Entertainment: It's a good game, just be sure to have the wrist strap on because there is going to be some controller throwing. I will say one thing, Megaman is a game that will probably only be enjoyed by people old enough to really respect it. Although, if you're interested in the origins of one of gamings oldest and popular characters, then it's a definite pickup. I mean, it's five bucks and takes 15 (thats right, just 15) blocks of your Wii. So there really isn't any reason to pass up this game.

- Yea, hard to believe he's that old...

In 1 sentence: "Mario + Shooting + plus Kirby's take enemy powers *even though Megaman did it first* = Megaman"
I know this was a short one but there isn't much to say on the "premise" as I've stated, so that sort of cut it short.