News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Who's getting a Vita?

Started by Super, October 27, 2011, 04:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

Does Sony always have to have some sort of proprietary format? You think they would have learned from Betamax, MiniDisc, UMD, and Memory Stick. All attempted to be the standard, none were.

I'm sure they'll have fun selling their $70 16GB memory card that can only be used on Sony products.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Tupin on November 27, 2011, 02:53:54 PM
Does Sony always have to have some sort of proprietary format? You think they would have learned from Betamax, MiniDisc, UMD, and Memory Stick. All attempted to be the standard, none were.

I'm sure they'll have fun selling their $70 16GB memory card that can only be used on Sony products.

You mean only on Vita. it can't be used for anything else at all.

Tupin

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on November 27, 2011, 04:38:26 PM
You mean only on Vita. it can't be used for anything else at all.
Even worse than Memory Stick Pro Duo, which was at least used on Sony cameras...

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Zero

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind shelling out that much for a memory card. Why was the 3DS bashed for its initial price when it CAME with an SD card and tons of other poop? I've seen hardly any backlash on this on other sites.

Do people just love riding Sony's cock or what? I can't tell.

On a side note, do we know how expensive the software is going to be? If they're going to try to charge 50-60 a game I doubt it's going to do well at all. At this point it doesn't matter if the development costs justify it or not, a lot of people just won't buy a handheld game at that price. A lot of 3DS games are already down to 10, 20, and 30 bucks even though 40 is the standard. PSP games aren't being sold at "full" price anymore either.

DededeCloneChris

Sony is known for overpricing their products. Their Sony Vegas products reach the hefty $500 mark or higher.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Michio Kaku on November 27, 2011, 05:00:44 PM
I can't imagine anyone in their right mind shelling out that much for a memory card. Why was the 3DS bashed for its initial price when it CAME with an SD card and tons of other poop? I've seen hardly any backlash on this on other sites.

Do people just love riding Sony's cock or what? I can't tell.

On a side note, do we know how expensive the software is going to be? If they're going to try to charge 50-60 a game I doubt it's going to do well at all. At this point it doesn't matter if the development costs justify it or not, a lot of people just won't buy a handheld game at that price. A lot of 3DS games are already down to 10, 20, and 30 bucks even though 40 is the standard. PSP games aren't being sold at "full" price anymore either.

Games are $40. Capcom is the only one dumb enough to charge $50 for a handheld game.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on November 27, 2011, 05:30:13 PM
Games are $40. Capcom is the only one dumb enough to charge $50 for a handheld game.
In their defense, they did say Revelations comes in a cardtrige with even more memory.

BOREDFOREVER

Quote from: Tupin on November 27, 2011, 02:53:54 PM

Well, they did champion Blu-Ray, and that worked out.  And it's been said that they were pretty instrumental in the speed of the spread of DVD.  But I get what you're saying.

As much as it's been maligned, I don't think that the Memory Card will be what hinders Vita sales.  I think it will be AT&T and the strenght of their line-up.  PSP has had a decent amount of good games, but nothing in comparison to the DS.

And just because the iPhone did well starting with an AT&T exclusive doesn't mean it won't hamper the Vita.  The iPod was already king of the MP3 world when Apple debuted the phone tie in, so people went nuts for it.  The PSP isn't exactly king of anything.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: PrinnyOnLowBudgetChris on November 27, 2011, 05:35:51 PM
In their defense, they did say Revelations comes in a cardtrige with even more memory.

So? They're charging $10 extra for something that probably costs them less than a dollar extra. Uncharted Vita comes on a 4GB card while most other launch games come on 2GB cards, and yet Sony's not charging extra for it. Pokemon Black and White come on larger cards than previous Pokemon games, but Nintendo didn't jump the price to $45. There's no excuse.

Quote from: BOREDDEVILBOY on November 27, 2011, 06:36:22 PM
Well, they did champion Blu-Ray, and that worked out.  And it's been said that they were pretty instrumental in the speed of the spread of DVD.  But I get what you're saying.

As much as it's been maligned, I don't think that the Memory Card will be what hinders Vita sales.  I think it will be AT&T and the strenght of their line-up.  PSP has had a decent amount of good games, but nothing in comparison to the DS.

And just because the iPhone did well starting with an AT&T exclusive doesn't mean it won't hamper the Vita.  The iPod was already king of the MP3 world when Apple debuted the phone tie in, so people went nuts for it.  The PSP isn't exactly king of anything.

So, the carrier used by the Vita SKU that nobody wants is what will kill it? What? You need to explain this one.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on November 27, 2011, 07:51:44 PM
So? They're charging $10 extra for something that probably costs them less than a dollar extra. Uncharted Vita comes on a 4GB card while most other launch games come on 2GB cards, and yet Sony's not charging extra for it. Pokemon Black and White come on larger cards than previous Pokemon games, but Nintendo didn't jump the price to $45. There's no excuse.

So, the carrier used by the Vita SKU that nobody wants is what will kill it? What? You need to explain this one.

Those darn, dollar-eating bastards.

Zero

Hero, if I recall correctly, I payed 39.99 for both Black and White. either that or it was 34.99. DS standard is 29.99.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Michio Kaku on November 27, 2011, 08:20:51 PM
Hero, if I recall correctly, I payed 39.99 for both Black and White. either that or it was 34.99. DS standard is 29.99.

There isn't really a "DS standard." Pricing is all over the place. With Nintendo games, however, it's typically $34.99. Also, the point I'm making here is that Black and White released at the same price as Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum (though $5 less than HG/SS due to the PokeWalker) despite using a larger cart with built-in IR.

Zero

Eh, 29.99 is the price you see the most.

I get what you mean

Kayo

Quote from: Michio Kaku on November 28, 2011, 11:48:56 AM
Eh, 29.99 is the price you see the most.

I get what you mean
The DS never had as much of a standard price as, for example, the Wii, in which pretty much all of its "major" (for lack of a better word atm) games were at $49.99.

Still, to go back on a previous topic, there is no excuse to bump a price of a game with a bigger cart up by a lot. I can understand if they made something $5 more expensive if it costs $5 more to make, but the degree they inflate prices due to that isn't proportionate at all.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Well, too be fair, this isn't an official announcement and they might even just be placeholders, but these prices are in line with the Japanese prices, a survey Sony made not too long ago, and the Memory Stick prices around the PSP's launch, so they're probably pretty close.