News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Gaming PC questions

Started by Zero, December 16, 2010, 01:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

I got back into WoW but sadly my computer is aging and I need a new one.

I was wondering if THIS was a decent PC that will run WoW with no problems.

If not I'm open to any recommendations. Trying to keep it as cheap as possible, and if making my own pc will get the job done then that's what I'll do.

Thanks guys.

So_So_Man

Personally, I have no idea what WoW demands from a system, I don't play.  However, I can provide a decent quick-glancing-over of that pc's specs.
500GB of storage is okay, but you can probably get double that for another $50 (at the most). 
4 GB of RAM is also okay, but again, you probably want more.
Concerning the graphics card:  I'm not entirely sure, but I think the 5450 might be one of the lower tier ATI cards from their last generation.  As such, you probably want something better.
Unfortunately, I don't know much about CPUs and CPU specs, so I can't comment on that (or the power supply). 
Also, if I were you, I would be mildly concerned that it doesn't tell you a brand-name for the power supply.

Zero

Yeah I'm considering shopping from newegg.com or ibuypower.

My computer know-how begins to fade when it comes to graphics cards. I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy, so I'm not sure what's good and what isn't. I know what processor to get already. ibuypower.com lets you choose what parts you want and custom make your computer.

1TB hard-drives are becoming pretty cheap too. May as well get that but I don't really need it. As for having more gigs of RAM I thought that Windows can only utilize 3GB of RAM at a time?

I appreciate the help btw

So_So_Man

32-bit windows can only use 3GB (or something like that).  64-bit windows, on the other hand, can use more (I believe)

Zero

I think I've decided on one with specs similar to this

# AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad-Core (3.2GHz, 6MB L3 Cache, AM3)
# 4 GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2x2GB Modules)
# 1.0TB (1 x 1TB) Hard Drive (Serial ATA II, 3GB, 7200 RPM, 32M Cache)
# ATI Radeon HD R5450 1GB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
# Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full Version CD - 64 bit

I can get this for a little less than 600 bucks, case and internal lights included. I can use my 32in hdtv as a monitor so I have that covered. Cost for cords to the monitor brings it to maybe 620-630. Liquid cooling is probably extra but is it worth it?. As for knowing the brand of the power supply, you really think the odds of them(amazon/titanium gamer) including a dangerous power supply are high? Not an insincere question even though it kind of sounds like it, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I actually shell out the money.

Please provide any tips on any of the specs that I could upgrade at little or no cost or where I'm wrong in getting something for the results I want. I did some research on the ATI Radeon HD R5450 and it seems like its a good card that will probably get the results I want but I could still do better. The 5770 looks pretty nice but its like 50 bucks more I think depending on where you go.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Zero on December 19, 2010, 02:50:23 AM
I think I've decided on one with specs similar to this

# 4 GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2x2GB Modules)
# ATI Radeon HD R5450 1GB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

I can get this for a little less than 600 bucks, case and internal lights included. I can use my 32in hdtv as a monitor so I have that covered. Cost for cords to the monitor brings it to maybe 620-630. Liquid cooling is probably extra but is it worth it?. As for knowing the brand of the power supply, you really think the odds of them(amazon/titanium gamer) including a dangerous power supply are high? Not an insincere question even though it kind of sounds like it, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I actually shell out the money.

Please provide any tips on any of the specs that I could upgrade at little or no cost or where I'm wrong in getting something for the results I want. I did some research on the ATI Radeon HD R5450 and it seems like its a good card that will probably get the results I want but I could still do better. The 5770 looks pretty nice but its like 50 bucks more I think depending on where you go.
Liquid cooling would be cool (lolpun), but fairly expensive. If you do it wrong, it's easy to completely ruin all your parts.

Zero

Aight so a couple months later but here's what I ended up with:

# 8 GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2x2GB Modules)
# ATI Radeon HD 6850
# 650w power supply

Got like three fans in this beast. Motherboard is more than enough to support all of this too. Didn't go with the liquid cooling, intercourse  that, I'm not THAT computer savvy.

Anyway I'm pretty happy with it. Runs WoW, TF2, and SCII at max settings with no disappointments. Thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting my own power supply instead of ordering that premade computer. Building your own computer is more simplistic than I initially thought.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Zero on February 12, 2011, 10:59:17 PM
Aight so a couple months later but here's what I ended up with:

# 8 GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2x2GB Modules)
# ATI Radeon HD 6850
# 650w power supply

Got like three fans in this beast. Motherboard is more than enough to support all of this too. Didn't go with the liquid cooling, intercourse  that, I'm not THAT computer savvy.

Anyway I'm pretty happy with it. Runs WoW, TF2, and SCII at max settings with no disappointments. Thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting my own power supply instead of ordering that premade computer. Building your own computer is more simplistic than I initially thought.

It's basically just like building something from Legos.
...Really expensive Legos.

So_So_Man

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on February 15, 2011, 10:31:49 AM
It's basically just like building something from Legos.
...Really expensive Legos.
Really expensive Legos that have a tendency to die if you forget the wrist-strap-thingy...