News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Apricorns

Started by bluaki, June 23, 2009, 07:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluaki

Watching old Pokemon episodes, I realize that Gold and Silver introduce and use Apricorn Pokeballs. Many of these have no equivalents in 3rd and 4th gen games. I believe all the Apricorn Balls are:
  • Red Apricorn - Level Ball: Effectiveness is based on how much higher level your Pokemon is than the target. Theoretically similar to Nest Ball but yet completely different (Nest Ball is based on which level range the target falls in). It should be noted that the calculation for these would seemingly be inapplicable to double battles unless it uses the average of both your Pokemon's levels or something like that.
  • Blue Apricorn - Lure Ball: More effective on Pokemon hooked using a fishing rod. The closest match 3rd/4th gens have to it is the Net Ball, which applies by type to all Water (and bug) Pokemon. Dive Ball may also be considered slightly like it.
  • Yellow Apricorn - Moon Ball: Most effective on Pokemon which evolve with a Moon Stone. Absolutely nothing in newer games is remotely like this.
  • Green Apricorn - Friend Ball: Raises the initial happiness of the captured Pokemon. Similar in concept to the Luxury Ball in that it helps happiness raising, but the way it raises the happiness is completely different.
  • White Apricorn - Fast Ball: Works best on wild Pokemon which naturally flee from battle. It may sound similar to the Quick Ball, and may have a similar use because such roaming Pokemon tend to flee just after the first turn without interference of certain abilities or moves, but it works completely different.
  • Black Apricorn - Heavy Ball: Effectiveness varies with Pokemon's Pokedex-listed mass. No Pokeball is like this, but certain moves use the same variable in their damage calculations.
  • Pink Apricorn - Love Ball: Works best if the target is of the opposite gender of the player's Pokemon. There is no similar ball in newer games, but some moves uses the same calculation. Like level ball, it has potential glitches with wild double battles, although I guess the Pokemon selected for the calculations can either be random or based on which one the player owns (as all wild double battles in current games require an NPC partner).

With HeartGold and SoulSilver being of the 4th rather than 2nd gen, I wonder whether these will be implemented and how much they'll be changed. At the least, it can be assumed there is some block to prevent a trade of a Pokemon holding any items nonexistent in D/P. But, if these Pokeballs are added in HG/SS, then I wonder how the game would treat the summary page of a Pokemon caught with such a ball then traded to D/P.
    Also, I wonder about the berry system. I'd guess that it'll use the R/S/D/P berry system that makes trees disappear upon their berries being picked, but there could be a chance of the simpler 2nd gen berry growing system returning with the newer berry collection.

JrDude

Shouldn't be a problem when trading them to D/P/Pt, I mean, R/S was only 3rd gen, but when FR/LG came out, it was still able to trade to it with the different Pok?mon.
[move][/move]
Dude .

bluaki

Quote from: JrDude ♪ on June 24, 2009, 07:36:35 PM
Shouldn't be a problem when trading them to D/P/Pt, I mean, R/S was only 3rd gen, but when FR/LG came out, it was still able to trade to it with the different Pok?mon.
R/S only had the 202 Hoenn Dex Pokemon (well, the first 200 of them) catchable in it and available in it at all initially, yes. However, it did have sprites and all data regarding the other 184 Pokemon, including even a hidden national dex which is triggered upon trading over a non-Hoenn Pokemon. Those other Pokemon have always been available in R/S through things like Action Replay codes.
But, as far as I've heard about D/P/Pt data dumping, there is no sprite or item data regarding the Johto Apricorn Pokeballs. The most in the way of Johto-related data I've heard of that is currently unused in D/P/Pt is the text that shows on a Pokemon's summary to say that the Pokemon was traded from Johto.

JrDude

Well here's how I see it after that: Either it will look like some other ball in D/P/Pt., in HG/SS they will be changed into more current balls (EX: Maybe instead of fast ball, it will become the quick ball), or when you arrive there, the guy who makes these Pok?balls will be retired or something that causes his work to be over. If it does become "over," I believe the Apricorns will be used for Contests or something.
[move][/move]
Dude .

HTA!

How do you have a double wild battle?

bluaki

Quote from: HTA on June 25, 2009, 08:34:13 AM
How do you have a double wild battle?
Well, of course there's no guarantee that HG/SS will even have them at all, but in D/P, wild battles that occur while another trainer is following you (like in Eterna forest) become wild double battles with two wild Pokemon.

Unlike the Gamecube games, D/P only lets you catch a foe when there is only one foe (so you have to eliminate one instead of being able to just select which one). Some of the Apricorn balls use your Pokemon in their calculations though, so it would have to have some way to treat having two Pokemon if wild double battles exist in the game.

HTA!

Wasn't the other Poke in the battle the other trainer's?
If so, there is no problem... it would just use your poke and your poke alone.

bluaki

Quote from: HTA on June 25, 2009, 07:45:26 PM
Wasn't the other Poke in the battle the other trainer's?
If so, there is no problem... it would just use your poke and your poke alone.
I noted that in the first post, section for Pink Apricorn/Love Ball:
QuoteLike level ball, it has potential glitches with wild double battles, although I guess the Pokemon selected for the calculations can either be random or based on which one the player owns (as all wild double battles in current games require an NPC partner).

Rayquarian

I'm guessing that either the data for the apricorn pok?balls will either be transferred upon first communication with the games or the apricorn pok?ball will show up as normal pok?balls.

Lotos

They may change the ball to a regular Pok?ball like the Pok?Park Balls.  I almost forgot about these, now there's more of a reason to get HG/SS.  These were one of the most unique parts of the second generation if you compare all of the generations.